General Maintenance Information

Stangbang31

Established Member
Hey everybody, I'm very interested in buying a cobra now but know so little about em. So being new to this forum, I figured the best way to get familiar with the cobra is to ask the owners. I've tried looking up maintenance schedules, but that's still cloudy. My questions are...besides the usual oil changes, what other major maintenance needs to be done AND at what average mileage? Are cobras reliable cars (it will be babied and wont be driven harshly)? Is it true that cobras are P**** magnets? jk I already know that one. I know it depends on driving conditions and where I live there isnt much stop and go traffic. The cobra I will buy will more than likely be used as a DD. I will be adding a new thread in the market forum just to keep my options open. Thanks yall, and look forward to the input!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Brad already posted a link to my Terminator FAQs page and you've browsed through it. So you know a little bit more about the car now. As far as reliability, it is generally a very reliable car. I say "generally" because in part it depends on how it is treated/maintained over time. Punish it enough and bad things can happen. So the best thing you can do is to find one that has lower miles (like less than 25K), hasn't had any major issues, has been properly maintained according to the owner's manual, is bone stock or near stock and not routinely raced. The better the owner has been to the car the happier you're going to be yourself. You'll see some info in my Terminator FAQ page that has to do with buying a used Terminator. Worthwhile reading.

There are a lot of people here with Terminators with over 60K miles and their cars are doing just fine. Driven pretty much daily. All in all the motor is pretty bulletproof (within reasonable boost levels and with safe tunes). Get the right used Terminator and you'll likely be very happy! Best of luck!

I'm at 73k and the maintenance isn't all that expensive. I spend more on iridium plugs than anything. I change the plugs every 8k - 10k. Never had any sensors fail and I'm still running the stock Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, which so many blow due to a poor tune that doesn't compensate properly for fuel pressure spikes. Get a nice all season tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus which is good for 45k and you don't have to be too concerned about changing tires. You'll spend more on modifying the IRS than you will on basic maintenance.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I'm at 73k and the maintenance isn't all that expensive. I spend more on iridium plugs than anything. I change the plugs every 8k - 10k. Never had any sensors fail and I'm still running the stock Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor, which so many blow due to a poor tune that doesn't compensate properly for fuel pressure spikes. Get a nice all season tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus which is good for 45k and you don't have to be too concerned about changing tires. You'll spend more on modifying the IRS than you will on basic maintenance.

Very well said...gotta love these Irridiums...they are expensive, but I'm hooked...colder cylinder temps FTW!

03yellow

Established Member
Not a bad ideal to change the blower oil every 20,000 miles if your running aftermarket pullies. Wait till you see and smell the old stuff.....nasty

Stangbang31

Established Member
Well thanx for that info you guys, I'll take as much more info yall give, if possible. What about likes & dislikes of coupes and verts???

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
the questions you got are simple....yes get the cobra, if you pick a vert add SFC's immediately. The Cobra will treat you well as long as you get one that hasnt been abused and you show it some respect.

The real question though...is how fast do you want to go!? Upper? Lower? Ported? Whipple? KB? F1? Twins? Single? Juice? Might as well start thinking about it now cause your going to be stirring it around in your head for as long as you have a terminator...

Users who are viewing this thread