Getting a 2011 tahoe ssv in the 12s?

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I picked up an '11 SSV 4wd 5.3 tahoe about 6 months ago for work. As I've come to find out, for my purposes the truck needs to be quicker in certain situations, I see that on3 has a kit that will be direct bolt on for my truck but I've read mixed reviews as far as tuning the 6l80 and it's power capacity. My question is what will it take to get me a dead reliable low 13 high 12 second truck?

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Hmm just had to double check and make sure I was on SVT performance not GM performance.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Hmm just had to double check and make sure I was on SVT performance not GM performance.
Well it seems that I can't find anyone that can answer my questions on the tahoe forum, I know its pretty diverse here.

Troponin

Established Member
Well it seems that I can't find anyone that can answer my questions on the tahoe forum, I know its pretty diverse here.

Going to a truck/SUV website and getting any kind of advise on performance can be really difficult. Most will give you a hard time about it and drive you away. Happened to me with my F150 too. Instead, I joined a FB page (High performance 5.0 F150s) and they were extremely helpful. I then came back here and discovered how diverse the fanatics are here and it's still a valuable resource.

Just ignore people that give you trouble here. There are lots of folks that are knowledgeable in many different areas. I mean, look at all the Vipers and Vettes we have on this board, and we welcome them all.

That being said, you will def need to go FI and possibly a top end motor rebuild. Might even need partially gutted. My Supercharged SC F150 was putting down 550whp and was capable of running low 12s and MAYBE high 11s. With your vehicle being heavier, it's going to take a bit of work.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Going to a truck/SUV website and getting any kind of advise on performance can be really difficult. Most will give you a hard time about it and drive you away. Happened to me with my F150 too. Instead, I joined a FB page (High performance 5.0 F150s) and they were extremely helpful. I then came back here and discovered how diverse the fanatics are here and it's still a valuable resource.

Just ignore people that give you trouble here. There are lots of folks that are knowledgeable in many different areas. I mean, look at all the Vipers and Vettes we have on this board, and we welcome them all.
Yeah thats pretty much the same experience I've had, I hope to be into an 11-12 gt500 around april so I'll be able to have a real reason to be on here lol

Zemedici

Established Member
Well I wonder if it wouldnt be easier to swap the tahoe out for an srt8 jeep since awd/4wd is a must have, I'll be moving to texas in a few months as well so trying to weigh out what will be the most cost effective way of getting what I need.

what do you do for work where you need a high power awd vehicle? Are you Dominic Toretto?

It seems MUCH more financially savvy to just upgrade the vehicle you already have vs lose money on the one you bought, spend more money on another car, and then modify that one. Ya know? The whipple kit I linked will get you there. The newer SRT8 Jeeps piston design cannot support a lot of boost, so you're limited there.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
what do you do for work where you need a high power awd vehicle? Are you Dominic Toretto?

It seems MUCH more financially savvy to just upgrade the vehicle you already have vs lose money on the one you bought, spend more money on another car, and then modify that one. Ya know? The whipple kit I linked will get you there. The newer SRT8 Jeeps piston design cannot support a lot of boost, so you're limited there.
Private investigations

nxhappy

Established Member
Private investigations

dude, you are thinking about it all wrong. I have 2 good friends in this line of work...I know exactly what it's like. first off, you need something with decent MPG, or you are going to waste a shit load of gas and not make any money. I know you are getting paid mileage and gas but you NEED to save gas. Also, a SUV is going to cost a shit load of money to make fast. We are talking 7 or 8 grand for boost and supporting mods. Plus would would have to beef up the auto trans. That being said, you need to sell that turd. You need to buy something like a Mitsu EVO or a WRX STi . Fast, AWD, and decent on gas. Or get a coupe with 300+ horsepower. Then black out all the windows. Oh, make sure you carry a handgun too....

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I've had tons of times the tahoe has saved me with the 4x4, just had a few situations where the truck needed to be faster (traffic lights/mobile surveillance, had a drug dealer come after me with a knife and a Ford fusion)

Zemedici

Established Member
I've had tons of times the tahoe has saved me with the 4x4, just had a few situations where the truck needed to be faster (traffic lights/mobile surveillance, had a drug dealer come after me with a knife and a Ford fusion)

is this PI work, or do you work on the 'cheaters' set?

In reality, you can put a blower on an expedition, on your tahoe, etc. Cost is all relative.

Figure 12-15k to set up boost correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread