Getting back in the game Need Advice

Push-rod power or blown mod motor?

• 1994 Cobra with basic bolt-ons (but enough $$$ left over to get HCI)

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Vortech 1996 Cobra that is pretty much immaculate

Votes: 55 84.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

i8urSS

Established Member
I've been out of the game for about 2 years now. I had an OW 03 Cobra (in sig) that was totaled for me and before that I had a stroked out 94 GT. For the past 2 years, I've been slowly dying a little more inside each day that I've gone without having a cobra in my life. That being said, I finally have a little bit of money to turn all that around. I don't have enough for another terminator or else I wouldn't need this poll.

I've got about 9k. Which is enough for me to get into an SN-95 cobra. Now I just can't decide if I want to go back to push rod power or get a mod motor with a blower. I found a 94 with basic bolt-ons that is very clean. And a 96 with a Vortech that is immaculate.

I've only ever driven one car with a centrifugal blower and it was a 2002 Sean Hyland built GT.

I would greatly appreciate if people with much more experience than me could weigh in with the pros and cons.

Cheers.:beer:

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
As a past owner of a 94 Cobra and 2 97's, the quad cam motor is heads and tails above the old 5.0.

My vote is for an immaculate 96.

N93XCHP

Established Member
Depends on price. I prefer the good ol' pushrod as they are extremely easy to work on and can get pretty good power out of them for a low cost and can find aftermarket parts nearly anywhere!

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I'd go for the '96 pending a compression check. Since you're in Powder Springs there are plenty of shops not too far, that could do a complete inspection for minimal cost. A couple hundred now could save you thousands later...

ibleedblue65

Established Member
Hey man you're local!! I graduated from mceachern, went to Ksu and now I'm in dallas. Used to live over off lost mountain rd. I'd go mod motor personally. If you need someone to check it out shoot me a pm. I work at a performance shop and can recommend a couple others in the area that are very good.

I have a mineral grey 01 with terminator front and rear bumpers and fr500s. If you see me around say hi!

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I had a 97 Cobra, sold it years ago. I just bought myself a bone stock 95gt that I have started modding. I wanted to get into a pushrod car so I can tear into the engine a bit, much simpler motor and all that.
IMO opinion, you really cant go wrong with either one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
"Immaculate" '96 Cobra sounds to me the best choice. It's a Cobra, and it's immaculate. You didn't mention the mileage of each, so I'll assume the Cobra is lower mileage.

i8urSS

Established Member
the 96 has around 120k and is running 8lbs on the stock motor. Been blown for about 2.5 years.

The 94 has about 90k. Both are pretty clean. The 96 has leather interior at least. Where as the 94 only has cloth.

The 94 is local but the 96 is about 4 hours away. Not far enough to be a deal breaker. I am heavily leaning towards the 96. I'm just used to the instant torque of the pushrod and roots-blown motors. I guess the thing I need the most education on is what to expect from a centrifugal blower.

And Ibleedblue, I'll keep an eye out for you. I went to McEachern and KSU also. I transferred to Mercer tho to finish out. I grew up in Dallas but live in Powder Springs now.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
98-02 F body, can be had for 5-6000 in good shape.... LOL

I've always liked the SN 95 Stangs, What was the HP rating on the 94-95 cars? I know they were pushrod motors. Don't know much about the older ford smallblocks, how easy is it to make power? I know the Mod motors make power with boost easy. I would love to own a 98 Cobra some day, but I decided if I do ever get another ford it will be an 03-04 Terminator or a 2011+ GT500.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
98-02 F body, can be had for 5-6000 in good shape.... LOL

I've always liked the SN 95 Stangs, What was the HP rating on the 94-95 cars? I know they were pushrod motors. Don't know much about the older ford smallblocks, how easy is it to make power? I know the Mod motors make power with boost easy. I would love to own a 98 Cobra some day, but I decided if I do ever get another ford it will be an 03-04 Terminator or a 2011+ GT500.

a stock 5.0 gt makes about what 215 hp and cobr alike 240?

but with a H/C/I swap they are 300-320 rwhp (using TFS or AFR) the blocks let go at about 400 rwhp

Users who are viewing this thread