Getting gt500 digital boost gauge in gt prem.

skulls

Established Member
ve tried searching and cant find anything...

I see the gt500 has a boost/vacuum gauge in the digital read outs...

Im curious to know what would be needed to make that happen in my gt prem. I know there is some sort of boost module and some lines to run...but would it just be programming the cluster or would I need a whole new cluster?

Any help or links would be much appreciated.

13BremboGT

Established Member
I've been digging around for this as well....so far no luck and no way to do it. You would think there would be some way to do it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I bet you would need a whole new cluster.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Join the club on trying to figure this out. The LCD is the same, has to be in software somewhere.

I don't know..

There are a couple 2013 GT500 and early 2014 owners that are upset they still have the Pony on their startup screen instead of a Cobra, and there isn't a fix for that.

greenscobie86

Established Member
^
The Cobra image at the very least has got to be a software issue. Im sure the preloaded drivers/operating system is dependent on model(GT Boss or GT500.)

I'm sure some tech wiz will figure it our soon enough....

Tyler72

Established Member
I'd be willing to bet the cluster works off of a LAN system. So everything the cluster sees is information from the PCM. With that said, the clusters are probably interchangeable, but if the PCM has no output for a boost display, them it won't show up regardless of which cluster you use. The GT500 has a boost pressure gauge like the 03-04 cobras have, and that's how the PCM sees boost. So without one of these on a coyote, there's no way it would ever work. The PCM most likely doesn't even have the hardware to support the sensor. Although I guess its a possibility since it has hardware for the IAT2 that isn't utilized from the factory.

Anything is possible, but I'm betting some inside information from Ford would be needed to get it working.

D.T.R

Established Member
I'd be willing to bet the cluster works off of a LAN system. So everything the cluster sees is information from the PCM. With that said, the clusters are probably interchangeable, but if the PCM has no output for a boost display, them it won't show up regardless of which cluster you use. The GT500 has a boost pressure gauge like the 03-04 cobras have, and that's how the PCM sees boost. So without one of these on a coyote, there's no way it would ever work. The PCM most likely doesn't even have the hardware to support the sensor. Although I guess its a possibility since it has hardware for the IAT2 that isn't utilized from the factory.

Anything is possible, but I'm betting some inside information from Ford would be needed to get it working.

agreed, 100%

Chaney5.0

It is all software. Companies won't make 100 different parts for every different option. Just like 2wd trucks ALL have the 4wd lock (etc) lights on the dash they just never light up. There are only two different clusters. The None premium cluster, and then the LCD screen that comes in the Premiums, gt500s, roushes etc. They are all the same Part number. Just like 99% of vehicles these days you have ALL the wiring for power/heated seats, mirrors, steering wheel controls etc. As they only make ONE wiring harness and it cuts down on cost to have to produce multiple different harnesses/parts. They just leave out the actual feature. Also allows for dealers to make changes at their lot to "up equip" on the lot at the dealers own dollar.

Actually pretty neat, but I bet if you knew the right people you could make it happen. But honestly... Much more trouble. Would be easier to trade in for a gt500 LOL.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Good idea, let me do some digging.

OK, the GT500 and GT use different clusters. Whether that is just due to something like different needles or something else, I don't know. On the GT500 there is not a dedicated input for boost which means it's coming over the CAN bus, likely HS-CAN.

A quick glance under the hood of a 14 GT500 didn't reveal any sort of boost sensor and I can't find one in the wiring diagrams. I hope it's not interpolated off the stock supercharger pulley size vs rpm and throttle position?
If anybody knows more about this 'boost module' for lack of better words let me know and I'll try this project.

Last edited:

skulls

Established Member
Good idea, let me do some digging.

OK, the GT500 and GT use different clusters. Whether that is just due to something like different needles or something else, I don't know. On the GT500 there is not a dedicated input for boost which means it's coming over the CAN bus, likely HS-CAN.

A quick glance under the hood of a 14 GT500 didn't reveal any sort of boost sensor and I can't find one in the wiring diagrams. I hope it's not interpolated off the stock supercharger pulley size vs rpm and throttle position?
If anybody knows more about this 'boost module' for lack of better words let me know and I'll try this project.

****ing bad ass!!

This was posted on another forum.

"It's actually a sensor mounted in the lower intake manifold, wired directly to the PCM. The PCM then sends that reading to the dash.

Unfortunately, it is not in the programming or wiring of the GTs PCM or IC to show that info....."

I really hoping you can figure something out.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
The thing that has me thinking it may be possible is the IAT2 pid. Yes, different pid but the PCM is already set up for it. Might be a similar thing with boost- doubtful but you never know.

As for the IC, if the differences are cosmetic only it's just a matter of using As Built data to program the module. This is how I enabled backup camera with my NAV and how you can use a Boss wheel's radio buttons in a GT.

skulls

Established Member
The thing that has me thinking it may be possible is the IAT2 pid. Yes, different pid but the PCM is already set up for it. Might be a similar thing with boost- doubtful but you never know.

As for the IC, if the differences are cosmetic only it's just a matter of using As Built data to program the module. This is how I enabled backup camera with my NAV and how you can use a Boss wheel's radio buttons in a GT.

Thats a bit forgien to me...do you think it's possible?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Would be nice in theory, but much easier at this time to add an Aeroforce gauge in the left air vent and the analog boost sensor under the hood.

skulls

Established Member
Would be nice in theory, but much easier at this time to add an Aeroforce gauge in the left air vent and the analog boost sensor under the hood.

Much easier isnt what Im looking for...

And id never block my a/c vent...the a/c in this car sucks as it is...I want that to be unobstructed as posdible.

Users who are viewing this thread