Getting to fog light bulbs

verti89

Established Member
I recently ordered and received some new fog light bulbs for my month old '11 gt500 that I hope will match my HIDs better than the current bulbs. However, I have searched the interwebs and this board and I cannot find a single helpful post about the easiest way to access the bulb. I read my owner's manual but it wasn't terribly helpful so i was hoping someone on here might have some pictures or better instructions. If not I will figure it out and take pictures so they exist for the next guy.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I recently ordered and received some new fog light bulbs for my month old '11 gt500 that I hope will match my HIDs better than the current bulbs. However, I have searched the interwebs and this board and I cannot find a single helpful post about the easiest way to access the bulb. I read my owner's manual but it wasn't terribly helpful so i was hoping someone on here might have some pictures or better instructions. If not I will figure it out and take pictures so they exist for the next guy.

I too have some LED's to install. When I looked at this, it appears once the plastic shield is lose. I'd have enough room to get in there. Most have said its a 15 min job

Leonard 95

Established Member
basically you remove the plastic shield underneather the front bumper, it probably has 10 little bolts holding it. After you remove the splash shield you have full access to fog lights.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
If you think the fog lights sucked for driving with the stock bulbs, wait until you install the LED lights. They look better when you are outside the car, but the usable light become even less. I never even turn on my fog lights anymore. Compared to the 2008 GT I had previously, these things suck. I'm considering replacing the entire lens with another unit that contain a glass structure that can withstand the heat of a 100 watt halogen.

Those things rock!

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I never used them for usable light anyway. So me adding the LEDs was more about looks and matching the heads

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
If you think the fog lights sucked for driving with the stock bulbs, wait until you install the LED lights. They look better when you are outside the car, but the usable light become even less. I never even turn on my fog lights anymore. Compared to the 2008 GT I had previously, these things suck. I'm considering replacing the entire lens with another unit that contain a glass structure that can withstand the heat of a 100 watt halogen.

Those things rock!

Thats why these things have been in my garage for a month. I'm running the Silver Stars and love them...But wanted to see the difference...maybe not now---lol

verti89

Established Member
yea mine are solely for looks im assuming you guys are jacking up and rolling under for this? or can you feel the bolts well enough without lifting?

Buddah

Established Member
just installed HID fogs for mine and they run cooler than the OEM one. HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning
i mounted my ballast right underneath my headlights.
1)put the car on jack stands or drive on ramp.
2)take off the radiator cover.
3)take off the plastic splash shield on the bottom.
4)take off the 4 screws on the wheel well that attaches to the bumper.
5)pull out bumper. ( youtube how to install afco heat exchanger ) shows you how to pull out the front bumper.

as far as usable light, i went with the 5000K and they are brighter than my headlights. i have ppl high beaming me. LMAO.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
you dont need a lift unless your car is lowered. I did mine in 12 mins and it was cake but then again I have take the front diffuser off a few times. about 12 bolts and no problem.

DaFreak

Established Member
you dont need a lift unless your car is lowered. I did mine in 12 mins and it was cake but then again I have take the front diffuser off a few times. about 12 bolts and no problem.

Wow, you did this without lifting/raising the car?

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I think the 07's are different but I jacked one side at a time and used a creeper to slide under. No taking if the splitter or anything

verti89

Established Member
alright well i got the install done last night and it took me longer than 15 minutes, but that may have been because i had the help of my 2 yr old. Basically the only thing that has to be removed is the plastic piece that runs right under the bumper. mine was connected by a total of 20 bolts/screws (12x 13/32, 4x 9/32 underneath, and 1 9/32 and a screw on the side in front of the wheels). I did as suggested and just drove my front tires up on some boards and that gave me enough room to lay underneath. once the pastic shield if off its pretty easy to unplug and replace the bulbs. I did have some trouble with the passender side bulb for some reason i just couldn't get the clips to release and ended up breaking the old bulb off in the lamp. Now I need to get the lamp off... turns out there are 3 bplack plastic pieces holding it in place that you have to squeeze in the little sides and push in, once all 3 were done the lamp popped right out and i was able to get the broken bulb out. to get it back in you just push it in until the little fingers go through and you should feel a slight click. See some before and afters below, I am quite happy although now the fogs are just a tad brighter than the headlights lol.

5669907144_5924a29b55_z.jpg

5669905752_70d4c7f05e_z.jpg

Last edited:

Seahorse

Established Member
Verti89- Are you gonna change your headlight HIDs? I put in my foglight LEDs and didn't like the white and blue look... I'm going with silverstar bulbs to match the factory hid's...

Same here, 5000K LED's are not a great match for the stock '07-'09 reflector HID's either. Fortunately it really is a 15 min swap - no removing anything, just lift the front end and the bulbs are fairly easy to get at, on the pre '10's anyway.

e478fe67.jpg

verti89

Established Member
not sure yet it looks a whole lot better than it did before, have to wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread