GF Thinking about getting a Subaru Forester?

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
Anyone have any experience with these SUV's? Plus and minuses? She's looking at 2015/2016 base models. Any, and all input, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Sister has a 2009, previous generation. But my experience with it over borrowing it, and a 17 hour drive to SC is:

-Interior feels cheap at some bits. Felt like my 87 Crown Vic was nicer sometimes.
-See above, causes lots of rattling.
-Why can it have a nice sunroof, leather, heated seats, yet the crappiest seat support and no power?
-gutless as a beetle.

Those are the 4 big things Ive noticed

Adower

Established Member
Anyone have any experience with these SUV's? Plus and minuses? She's looking at 2015/2016 base models. Any, and all input, would be appreciated.

Thanks.
My wife and I have a 2015. Only thing that is a setback is that if you get a flat you have to replace all 4 tires since its awd. Otherwise it's a great daily with excellent gas mileage. We get ~30 mpg on the freeway at 75 mph.

The resale value is really good as well.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
My cousin and his wife have a 14 Forester XT. Granted with it being the premier trim level it's a lot different than the base model, but it's a nice car and has been reliable for them.

Coiled03

Established Member
He's right - with full time AWD cars it's highly recommended to replace all four tires at a time rather than just replacing one...if you replace just one it causes undue stress on the diffs/t-case.

And people believe that shit?

:nonono:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
He's right - with full time AWD cars it's highly recommended to replace all four tires at a time rather than just replacing one...if you replace just one it causes undue stress on the diffs/t-case.

Of course it's recommended by anyone that is selling you tires. There is always a percentage range that the tires can be within and not damage the drivetrain. I wouldn't replace a single tire at 40k miles, but it all depends on the amount of treadwear.

http://www.souzastireservice.com/tires-101/tire-matching-awd-4wd.aspx

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Girlfriend's sister has an XT, with the CVT it gives a weird feeling as it accelerates but it moves out for what it is.

They haven't had it long but they seem to like it, it hasn't had any issues.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
Thanks guys

We had test drove one not too long ago. It felt pretty nice. Lacked some interior quality, but was nice overall. Had decent power, and the turn radius on it was surprising. Shes coming from a Honda CRV. She's been contemplating over this car for about a year. She has a daughter and likes the Safety Rating on the Forester. MPG, and a bit more comfort are a plus as well. She just isnt all that sold on the styling. I think it looks fine for what it is, but she thinks it's meh. Anyone know of any defects or quirks about these SUV's?

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
Girlfriend's sister has an XT, with the CVT it gives a weird feeling as it accelerates but it moves out for what it is.

They haven't had it long but they seem to like it, it hasn't had any issues.

Nice!

if you can remember, was there a lot of noise within the cabin?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I would be a bit weary buying a Subaru personally. They love to eat oil, amongst more serious issues. My in laws have an Outback with 90,000 miles and that thing just drinks oil. Seems like everyone I talk to with a Subaru has about the same experience. A friend of mine runs a machine shop and specializes in Subaru's, every single WRX/STi engine that comes through has the rod bearings absolutely pounded out of them. Not to mention the issues they've had with headgaskets, ring lands, etc. Just not a well made product IMO.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I would be a bit weary buying a Subaru personally. They love to eat oil, amongst more serious issues. My in laws have an Outback with 90,000 miles and that thing just drinks oil. Seems like everyone I talk to with a Subaru has about the same experience. A friend of mine runs a machine shop and specializes in Subaru's, every single WRX/STi engine that comes through has the rod bearings absolutely pounded out of them. Not to mention the issues they've had with headgaskets, ring lands, etc. Just not a well made product IMO.

Wow..Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. Those are some serious concerns to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread