GF Thinking about getting a Subaru Forester?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Tell me about it.....

I heard on the radio yesterday, someone suggested they shut down schools and businesses.

wut.

Little rain and everyone freaks out.

2-3" of rain in one day is a lot of rain for parts of socal where roads, sewers, etc. weren't designed to handle that much. Not that I feel the need to run out and buy a car for it.

IDK if you saw the videos where the 5 freeway was down to 1 lane each direction due to flooding, and I wasn't even sure that one lane should have been open. Lots of flooding.

Not that 2-3" is a ton of rain for most of the country, but it is where civil engineers didn't account for strong el ninos.

Yeah I had a foot of water preventing me from leaving to work this morning lol. Last two days I had to go up three exits off the 15 because the first two were completely flooded.

Still funny though. The only time having a truck in socal is worth it.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I'm actually interested in how other non-Colorado dealers treat Subaru buyers. I have never attempted to purchase one but my best friend's dad was going to buy his wife a Forester, she liked it after the test drive and his dad asked the sales guy "so is there anything you can do for me on the price?" and the guy literally said "well it's a Subaru, you'll pay what you'll pay." They bought a CRV.

Out here they sell so well I think they refuse to haggle or anything. True car pricing with "what others paid for this car" isn't much off MSRP.

Yup. I looked at STIs just to see prices and NOBODY would even slightly budge on the price
( I'm near Foco Colorado)

04owmach

Established Member
I would be a bit weary buying a Subaru personally. They love to eat oil, amongst more serious issues. My in laws have an Outback with 90,000 miles and that thing just drinks oil. Seems like everyone I talk to with a Subaru has about the same experience. A friend of mine runs a machine shop and specializes in Subaru's, every single WRX/STi engine that comes through has the rod bearings absolutely pounded out of them. Not to mention the issues they've had with headgaskets, ring lands, etc. Just not a well made product IMO.
Haha are you high. Comparing a beat on wrx/sti to a soccer mom driving around in a forester for reliability is ridiculous. OP there is a reason subaru's have one of the highest resale values on the market. They are great vehicles. Our new outback should be here this month and we are chomping at the bit to get it. Look at subaru's on Craigslist. It's pretty rare to find a used one with less than 200,000 on it because people drive them forever and then hand them off to kids who probably then buy a new one.

2001sleeper

Established Member
My wife has a 2015 crosstrek with 4K miles and we like it so far.

Only complaint is that the Pzero emissions stuff causes the vehicle to start up and hold a much higher rpm until the cats are hot. Basically makes the car noisy on first start of the day.

I don't think the interior is bad, but it could be better I suppose. I actually think it is quite decent for the price point.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Little rain and everyone freaks out.

Yeah I had a foot of water preventing me from leaving to work this morning lol. Last two days I had to go up three exits off the 15 because the first two were completely flooded.

Still funny though. The only time having a truck in socal is worth it.

Fortunately, I don't have to drive the 5 freeway often. My wife couldn't go to school yesterday though because the freeway and some streets around her campus were flooded, and she didn't feel safe trying to drive through it.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
My wife has a 2015 crosstrek with 4K miles and we like it so far.

Only complaint is that the Pzero emissions stuff causes the vehicle to start up and hold a much higher rpm until the cats are hot. Basically makes the car noisy on first start of the day.

I don't think the interior is bad, but it could be better I suppose. I actually think it is quite decent for the price point.

Where I work, I walk by one of those Crosstreks in the parking lot. Those things look a lot more fun to drive than the forester lol

2001sleeper

Established Member
Where I work, I walk by one of those Crosstreks in the parking lot. Those things look a lot more fun to drive than the forester lol
My wife wanted a small SUV and since I was getting rid of my truck I wanted to have a vehicle that I could hop a curb and get off a highway if I had to.
The little Subaru has AWD and like a 9" ground clearance.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

If Subaru ever makes a Crosstrek XT with a manual, we will trade our Forester for one!

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
My wife wanted a small SUV and since I was getting rid of my truck I wanted to have a vehicle that I could hop a curb and get off a highway if I had to.
The little Subaru has AWD and like a 9" ground clearance.

Now I think she really needs to reconsider. How is storage space in the Crosstreks?

If Subaru ever makes a Crosstrek XT with a manual, we will trade our Forester for one!

Now, i'm not sure she would want a MT as a DD? I know i would :rolling:

Thank you all for your input, It's greatly appreciated :beer:

2001sleeper

Established Member
Storage space in the crosstrek is equivalent to an economy trunk. The crosstrek is basically an opera with a lift.
I can lay down my daughter's stroller and still have plenty of room go all the groceries. I have also laid the rear seats down and put my 347 ci motor in there. I also have the roof racks if I ever want to go pick up lumber.
Don't get me wrong, this is much smaller than my truck. However, I feel that if you want a smaller footprint you can make it work. Parking is really easy, great turning radius, wide angle rear cam.
They also make a small lift kit for it if you are into that.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Thats a good question I've asked her multiple times. But, she insists lol. Apparently this is the only SUV/Crossover that she likes right now.

I live in SD. I travel up to Temecula to see my Dad. My Mom lives in Loma Linda lol
Thanks man! will do :beer:

Lol, I'm exactly the opposite. Used to
Live in San Diego so my family is down there. I am there almost every weekend. Go figure

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
Lol, I'm exactly the opposite. Used to
Live in San Diego so my family is down there. I am there almost every weekend. Go figure

Random lol We are thinking about moving from SD. Well, California completely. I'm not sure how far we will get. Because we've been talking about moving for years, and it hasn't happened yet lol.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
Well, we had a short discussion about which vehicle she wants last night. Her mind is sold on the Forester. :shrug:
Automatic, Basic creature comforts; Power everything, Cloth seats, No NAV, No Moon Roof. To my surprise, she wouldn't mind driving a MT. Ultimately, I still think she would back out of getting a MT, and get the CVT. I watched a couple reviews last night on YouTube. Seems like a pretty decent SUV. I think the only thing i don't like about it is, it's ugly lol. But, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

2001sleeper

Established Member
I think you will like the car and get over the looks. It is not ugly, just not good looking. A drunken 8 I suppose.
My suggestion is back up camera and the fake leather interior as it will be worth it in the long run. Their all weather mats for the floorboards and hatch area are nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread