GF Thinking about getting a Subaru Forester?

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I think you will like the car and get over the looks. It is not ugly, just not good looking. A drunken 8 I suppose.
My suggestion is back up camera and the fake leather interior as it will be worth it in the long run. Their all weather mats for the floorboards and hatch area are nice too.

If you plan on owning for a while don't forget that extended warranties are 100% negotiable.

Good Points. Thank you sir, I'll pass that information along :beer:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Haha are you high. Comparing a beat on wrx/sti to a soccer mom driving around in a forester for reliability is ridiculous. OP there is a reason subaru's have one of the highest resale values on the market. They are great vehicles. Our new outback should be here this month and we are chomping at the bit to get it. Look at subaru's on Craigslist. It's pretty rare to find a used one with less than 200,000 on it because people drive them forever and then hand them off to kids who probably then buy a new one.

I've torn down, inspected, and assembled more Subaru engines than you or anyone on this board has owned. I wouldn't spend a dime on one. The only people that defend them are Subaru fanboys. Since you are "chomping at the bit" to get your new one, I don't expect a response in agreement but I only know what my (considerable) experience tells me.

2001sleeper

Established Member
Or perhaps it is people that own them and don't have any issues.

I have known Toyota techs and ford techs and they all say the same thing about their brand. Basically every manufacturer is trying to make the biggest profit possible, so rarely do you find a product where you say, "hell, they could have charged an extra 10k for this and I would have paid it."
It is all about the consumer feeling like they get good value out of their purchase, and for the most part consumers don't have the time to be an expert on all of the brands.

you get to see behind the curtain, so you will have a very different view from us average Joes. I have no doubt that you are right, but I also have no doubt that others are right in regards to their brand. It is sort of like working in restaurants, rarely does a waiter take his girl to his employer.

2001sleeper

Established Member
What role does Toyota play?
I thought some of the issues were from some shared Toyota parts and Subaru addressed that for the current line.
What is the word on that?

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I've torn down, inspected, and assembled more Subaru engines than you or anyone on this board has owned. I wouldn't spend a dime on one. The only people that defend them are Subaru fanboys. Since you are "chomping at the bit" to get your new one, I don't expect a response in agreement but I only know what my (considerable) experience tells me.

Since I have not owned a Subaru, I cannot say the plus and minuses of owning one. I do however, take what you say as a serious caution for my GF to purchase one. There are a few members in this thread that seem to disagree with the notion that they are problematic. With your experience with Subaru's', Is there a serious threat in the future for other member's who own a Subaru? I just want the GF to make a choice she wont be regretting in the long haul. As well as other members that own these type of vehicles to be informed about the cautions and concerns. So far, It seems like most are quite happy with their purchase, or from those who have known to purchase Subaru's. If you have any more input, please let me/us all know. Thanks! :beer:

Last edited:

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I have been a sales manager at a Subaru dealership for a couple years now and have seen a lot of Subarus sold. I see people with older models that have come in because of oil consumption issues from time to time. They are pretty few and far between. I just have not seen the problem in Subarus sold in the last couple years. I see my customers back for service all the time, even customers that bought a couple years ago, and have not seen any one with this problem on newer vehicles. Also I have not seen anyone with this problem come into the dealership in a while. Subaru has been very accommodating and anyone that thinks their Subaru is drinking oil Subaru will open up a case and try to help out. Again, they are a very customer service focused company. OP you may pm me and ask me any question about product, pricing if you choose to go this route.

Last edited:

blackfang

Established Member
I have an 07 Legacy Non turbo with 171k on it and love it. So far all i have done is maintenance and replace my axle boots. Headgaskets starting to leak(common issue with Subaru's) and now got a noisy wheel bearing. Not bad for that kind of mileage.

dom418

Established Member
Parents just bought one and love it. Nice thing is the oil filter is mounted right to the top of the engine which I've never seen before.

04owmach

Established Member
But you'll buy a 6.4 powerstroke that you had to completely rebuild with less than 200000 on it? Makes prefect sense. Also it looks like it was the early year models for the new engine. You can't even sue if your car was after 2014 in that class action. What about the new 5.0s crapping out cyl 7 or 8. Or the mt82. Every brand has had there problems and I would bet that subaru has had far less than most. BTW I'm a ford fan boy. The subie is for my wife but I'm still excited to get it. Should be next week

Last edited:

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I picked up a 2013 Impreza sport with the gutless 2.0 and CVT. For the money, it's a pretty good car. I think I paid in the neighborhood of $23K OTD in California. It has a very roomy back seat (way more than a focus), AWD, 30+mpg on the highway (17ish in town), pretty reliable (no issues with ours), and have a decent resale value.

We picked it up for 18 months of use in Switzerland followed by 18 months in Africa. It has been a champion in both places.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
If you plan on owning for a while don't forget that extended warranties are 100% negotiable.

In response to this, for the OP, if she is willing to go certified used, she will get a 7year/100k mile warranty that is transferable. We bought our outback new and got a 60k mile warranty, and I bought my WRX two years old with 20k miles, still smelled new inside, and got a 7year 100k mile warranty. Might be worth the warranty alone to get a year old car. In that case you could probably get the limited for less than the base would be. The back up camera and moon roof are a nice addition. I wish we had the camera in the outback.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread