Gingerman July 22-24 with SVTOA

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:
When you increase the gear ratio numerically you also decrease the load you are placing on the engine to maintain a certain RPM so it is possible that even though you are at a higher RPM you are generating less heat. Think of 6k going up a hill vs 6k on a flat surface......

I'm sorry Mark but I'm just not getting it?!?! :read: :shrug: Doesn't higher rpm mean more fuel and power strokes in the engine? Doesn't higher rpm mean more internal friction? I think this discussion might be best left for the track where we have a nice cooler full of barley pop :beer: to help us understand each other a little better? Whaddaya think? :poke:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Here we are!! Off topic again!!!! :lol: :lol:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
drudis said:
Photos are now up:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/saacmcr/2005_SVTOA_GingerMan
img_5569.jpg

thanks darius! :beer: great shots as usual! :thumbsup:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
I actually like the setting for this shot even better than last years which was on the back stretch. Last year had more sun, but the way turn 2 opens up onto this straight totally makes the composition of this shot.

In that case it was my idea to take it there! :-D

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
93SVTCobra said:
When you increase the gear ratio numerically you also decrease the load you are placing on the engine to maintain a certain RPM so it is possible that even though you are at a higher RPM you are generating less heat. Think of 6k going up a hill vs 6k on a flat surface......

Very true, but if you are doing 6K in 4th you are getting more air into the coolers than when you are doing 6K in 2nd (even though the load is higher on the 4th vs. 2nd). It seems to me that there are many factors involved.

I guess the best set-up for each track would be the rear gear that makes the engine hit the rev limiter just before the braking zone on the fastest straight? If you don't hit the limiter every lap, you are not getting the most out of your car?

Then you have the close ratio tranny that increases lap times (which caused the rear gear to be changed) and increases rpm's.

I'd guess he is pushing the car harder.

drudis

Established Member
The THREE an FOUR staggering of cars works better than single-file.
The right way to do it, is to get on a ladder and wait till the cars get there, and then the last cars actually park 2-3 carlenghts apart. Makes for a really long train, but you get to see the nose of every car.

Been busy every single night, and used the "quickie" software to downsize these photos. Wait till I sharpen them, and remove the overcast (digitally). They'll look great. Then I'll replace these crummy ones.

Also in-car VIDEO is coming soon.
(Bummer I ran outta tape, like 12 seconds short, before SOMEBODY went off...)

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Yep! I was going through the turn 7-8 combination an tracking out to the turn in point when the oil pressure gauge bobbled. I looked down at it for about a second and when I looked up I was WAY off my normal line and there was no saving it. Sssooo, I straightened the wheel and went off to gain control of the car and then came back on. Simple brain fart, nothing less. What is amazing is that I swear I looked down for just a second but it was obviously longer than that.

Just proves how much paying FULL attention to what you are doing is when opening tracking!

93SVTCobra

Established Member
b_tone said:
Why are you looking at the gauges in a corner? sigh....

;)

Because one of the drivers of this car have to pay attention to what's going on when it's on-track! Do I need to say more?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
93SVTCobra said:
Because one of the drivers of this car have to pay attention to what's going on when it's on-track! Do I need to say more?

Brian:

If I didn't know better, I'd say that was a :poke:

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
When I was giving my student a ride in my car we somehow got sent out on the track behind the Ford GT giving charity rides. It wasn't too hard to catch and pass him on our cold tires. We both thought that was pretty cool. Then when I came back into the paddock I learned that everybody and their brother passed the Ford GT!! :shrug: So I guess it wasn't that big of a deal? But I do have a pretty cool video of it?!?!

On one of my sessions the GT pulled out of the grid in front of me after my first lap. I had the video recorder going and tried to stay as close as possible without getting a wave-by. (besides, the car stays cool when I'm not running full out.) I got about 4 laps worth on his tail until he pulled off. I ran about two more laps and he comes out in front of me again. I thought, "this is cool, lots of seat time watching a GT." This time he gave me a wave by during the first lap. I wish I could have had the camera pointed to the rear, then. I'd have backed off just to keep it in close to get the video of it.

ac427cobra said:
I set a new record for Gingerman events!!!! Only corded ONE tire?!!? That's completely unbelievable?!?! :dw: Somebody pinch me!! I think I'm dreaming?!?! :lol:

So one is the record low. What's the record high? I did in 4 of the GACs and wasn't sorry to see them go. Now I have 4 fresh ones mounted to go to Watkins Glen.

--Mike

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
[QUOTE='03 Sonic Blue]
So one is the record low. What's the record high?
--Mike[/QUOTE]

See this thread:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99333&page=4&pp=25&highlight=corded+tires

For last year's SCMC Gingerman event!

ac427cobra said:
I set a new record and corded 12 tires without Brian's help this time! Being the Frugal Miser that I am, it's getting harder and harder for me to justify buying these used race slicks. I think it's time to go shopping for tires that last more than two sessions! ;-)

I burned myself out last year! I think I've only corded about 12 tires so far this YEAR?!?! :coolman:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
ac427cobra said:
I think I've only corded about 12 tires so far this YEAR?!?! :coolman:
That is about right for someone that tracks his car every other weekend.
~3500+ miles? $2000 in track gas? I don't even want to know how many brake pads...

Users who are viewing this thread