Give it up for the SVTPP wheels

BAS

Established Member
Over the last year I've seen a number of posts on how good the standard wheels are.

2apypyda.jpg

Well, it's about time the SVTPP wheels got some kudos.

ena7e8y5.jpg

Ok, so they take a bit of cleaning, but they look damn good IMO

juqa6e6y.jpg

Last edited:

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I think the stock wheels are gross but the PP wheels are gorgeous! Wouldnt have it any other way

04SVTMystic

Powered By Cyberdyne
Established Member
While the PP wheels are not bad by any stretch, I feel the base wheel is a much cleaner and more attractive design.

ToltecWarrior

Banishing Self-Importance
Established Member
MY hypothesis....the difference in preference for the two wheels may be related to age/generation. As an example, when I was younger, the "must have" wheel was the chrome Cragar SS (lol.....I know I am dating myself). So, I believe my generation (older guys....50+) may prefer what they are used to or grew up with.....shiny, chrome wheels. It seems to me that the darkened or blacked out wheels appeal more to the "younger" generation (less than 50 years old).

My vehicle has the standard wheels, ordered that way, since I do not like the look of the performance package wheels nor did I need the additional equipment associated with the package. Ultimately, I would love to own the Shelby Alcoas (ala Iceman and others) since that is by far the best look for this vehicle.....in my humble opinion.... from the "older" generation!

1TUF14SHELBY

Established Member
I agree somewhat with TotlecWarrior (I'm 43) but I think there are really two points to consider on the wheel comparison:

1. Rim Design
2. Color

I actually like both designs but had read all the negatives on the SVTPP rims and honestly didn't need or want the full SVTPP package so I ordered it with base package and rims (DIB, Black Stipres, Vert). I thought all winter before the car came that for sure I would want the base rims painted black to match the stripes, black top, and I did have windows tinted (50% which is max legal in MN). After getting the car and seeing it all in person (sorry but pics just don't cut it) I'm totally happy the way it is. Now, if I saw the base rims painted black on my exact car would it look better, maybe...

T3RMIN8TOR

Established Member
I have the PP wheels, and love them. They are a pain in the ass to keep clean though. I feel the base wheels are just plain looking and lack detail.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I loved the Cragar SS rims back in the day, but my favorite were the solid ones with the fake knock off spinner. I don't remember what they were called though. However I like the PP rims better, but I think that may be because they fit the color of my car. SGM and the darker rims goes pretty good.. had I gotten the DIB the standard rims would look better imo. But that's just me, either way you can't go wrong. It will be a little bit before I can consider those Alcoa rims. I just got my car back after four days at the stereo shop and I'm going to have to lay real low if my wife sniffs that bill.
What are the negatives of the PP rims? Other than cleaning? I'm pretty new and haven't seen much talk other than pain in the ass to clean.

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
I am almost 50 and I grew up with shiney wheels and chrome and I don't want any of that stuff on my car,and purchased the base package wheel with the thought that I would change them shortly after I got the car with a set of black wheels of some sort...... But once I saw the base wheels in person I loved um,in person the have depth and angles that you don't really see in pictures very dimensional ,and have got nothing but compliments on them from young and old

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I feel the base wheels are just plain looking and lack detail.

I've had the '07-'09 wheel, coupe '10 wheel, '11 SVT PP wheel, and now the '13 base wheel on my car. I was drawn to it for its utter simplicity. The optional '13/'14 wheel, a bit more complex with respect to form, fills itself out whereas the base allows the substantial voids to better reveal what lies behind.

IMG_0883_zps96d75c94.jpg

Kind of like choosing between a blonde and a brunette. For whatever reason, we all have our personal preferences.

USV8PWR

Established Member
It seems to me all the love on here for the base wheels are the folks who did not opt for the SVTPP. Those who opted not to get the SVTPP seem to "love" their base wheels and it is a main reason they did not get the performance package. However, I have yet to see anyone who opted for the SVTPP say "I wish I could have gotten the base wheels with the SVTPP".

Anyway, I do not care for either wheel design. The SVTPP looks to busy to me, and the non SVTPP looks to bland. Both wheels are flush face designs and I love a concave type wheel. So at 200 miles I removed my SVTPP wheels and crappy Goodyear tires, put them in storage, and then put on a set of machined w) black finish Shelby CS1 wheels and much better Nitto Invo tires.

My ride got a ton of attention at the all Ford show yesterday in Huntsville, AL and I had a lot of people say the wheels really made the car and caught their attention. Out of 5, 2013 Shelby cars (2 of which were candy red Convertibles!), 1 2014 Shelby, 1 2013 Boss, and several 2012 Shelby's (I was in the new car popular vote class) I tied for first place!

Here are a couple pics of me pulling up to the show yesterday.

Medellin

Established Member
It seems to me all the love on here for the base wheels are the folks who did not opt for the SVTPP. Those who opted not to get the SVTPP seem to "love" their base wheels and it is a main reason they did not get the performance package. However, I have yet to see anyone who opted for the SVTPP say "I wish I could have gotten the base wheels with the SVTPP".

Anyway, I do not care for either wheel design. The SVTPP looks to busy to me, and the non SVTPP looks to bland. Both wheels are flush face designs and I love a concave type wheel. So at 200 miles I removed my SVTPP wheels and crappy Goodyear tires, put them in storage, and then put on a set of machined w) black finish Shelby CS1 wheels and much better Nitto Invo tires.

My ride got a ton of attention at the all Ford show yesterday in Huntsville, AL and I had a lot of people say the wheels really made the car and caught their attention. Out of 5, 2013 Shelby cars (2 of which were candy red Convertibles!), 1 2014 Shelby, 1 2013 Boss, and several 2012 Shelby's (I was in the new car popular vote class) I tied for first place!

Here are a couple pics of me pulling up to the show yesterday.
Those wheels are the sh@@! The car looks like it sits a bit higher but, it could be just the camera angle. Nice car bro.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Definitely not bland. Are those cast aluminum?

I believe so Tob. I'm sure they are heavier than the SVTPP wheels, plus I have wider rear tires now, but I can't tell driving it. I ordered these and the 50th Alocas at the same time and decided I liked the CS1's much better.

Those wheels are the sh@@! The car looks like it sits a bit higher but, it could be just the camera angle. Nice car bro.

Thanks Brother! :beer: EVERYONE kept commenting on them at the show yesterday. Since they are from Shelby and say Shelby on them a lot of folks thought they might be a factory option. lol! But yes, since the rear tires are now 315/35 they make the rear slightly taller than the factory 285's. But the wider tire seems to actually fill in the fender gap a little better than the factory. Additionally, my front tires are now only 255/35 so the front of the car is just over an inch shorter than the rear...which gives the car a very slight rake and IMO gives it the perfect muscle car stance.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Really? I've seen that quite a bit. I ordered the PP package but like the base wheels so much more I am selling the PP wheels and have a deal pending for a set of base wheels :shrug:
I'm also on the younger side of owners (32) so I don't think there is a definite trend. Wheel preference is very subjective, I personally love a simple flush 5 star design.
I'm hoping a deal comes through on a set of Alcoas but if not I will have a set of widened base wheels done in black chrome on my car very soon :rockon:
If anyone wants trade base wheels straight up for my new PP wheels (car due early June, build date 5/14) please Pm me.
-J

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Definitely not bland. Are those cast aluminum?

I love the look of the CS1 Wheels, and I was looking at those hard before I finally chose the F14s for the 2012. What swayed me was the weight. I think they were as follows:

20x9 = 34.6lbs
20x11 = 40.9lbs

If they offered them in a 20x9.5 and a 20x11 forged, I'd buy them because I love the looks.

Crowley

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I love the PP wheels on the 13's. Such a small change over the '12 wheels but it was a great looking addition.

And I'm sure it is a major PITA to clean the new PP wheels. I know it is a huge PITA to clean my 10th Anniversary wheels.

smrtasp

Established Member
I keep going back and forth on my PP wheels vs. the alcoas I ordered. The alcoas are nice and I couldn't wait to get another set. I had them on my 08. But I haven't had time to get a pair widened - I ended up with 4 9's. The more I get used to the PP wheels the more I actually like them, enough to where I'm just not in a big hurry to get the alcoas done. Plus by the time they are widened, powder coated black and i put on new TPMS sensors we are talking about $4300 for just the wheels plus a good 1600 for the michelins I want to put on it. If I do keep my PP wheels I will replace the tires any way but the other 4300 can go a long way for other things....

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I made a PP wheel trade for base wheel thread, was moved to classifieds if anyone is interested.
-J

Marc

Established Member
I have the PP wheels, and love them. They are a pain in the ass to keep clean though. I feel the base wheels are just plain looking and lack detail.

Exactly. Plus, my car is blue with black stripes. I wanted the black wheels to blend with the black stripes.

I agree though, pain in the ass to keep clean and a dirt magnet. I complain every time I clean them. But, I think they look a lot better than the plain wheels. But, that is just me.

Users who are viewing this thread