Give me tips on launching a IRS!!

V-Sicks

Established Member
Last season I had a SRA in the Cobra and swapped back to a IRS last fall. Give me some advice on launching it properly. I've got a Brace and 315/35/17 M/T et street radials. I know I need more sidewall but these will have to do for now. Thanks :beer:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Are you spinning and having traction issues?
I ran last week and got a best of 1.52 60' time.
This was with MT ET Street 26x11.5x15 Bias ply.
The track was hooking very well so I was launching at 4500+
On the third yellow light I dump the clutch, stomp the gas and hang on!!!!

Last edited:

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Mods? What times are you planning on running?

The IRS seems to be slightly easier to launch IMO. I use a 2-step to hold rpm's at 4500, then dump and hang on. Was using the MT Street DR's (275/40/R17) when I ran my best time with a 1.66 60ft

V-Sicks

Established Member
Well im not exactly sure what time im going to run. It's a 01 with bolt on's and gears. Last year I ran a best of 12.31 @ 112 with a 1.65 60' with the SRA on 26x11.5x17 et streets. Now im running IRS with 4.30's on 315 m/t's

Venimus03

Established Member
Last season I had a SRA in the Cobra and swapped back to a IRS last fall. Give me some advice on launching it properly. I've got a Brace and 315/35/17 M/T et street radials. I know I need more sidewall but these will have to do for now. Thanks :beer:

Air them down to 18lbs, do a good burnout, launch at 3500 and see what happens.

The best way to go with an IRS is with either slicks or ET Streets, you will be able to launch at 5k rpm all day long and should be good to go. Soft side will soak up the launch and eliminate wheel hop. I really feel that ET streets or slicks should be the only way to go when racing an IRS cobra at the track....

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The best way to go with an IRS is with either slicks or ET Streets, you will be able to launch at 5k rpm all day long and should be good to go. Soft side will soak up the launch and eliminate wheel hop. I really feel that ET streets or slicks should be the only way to go when racing an IRS cobra at the track....

+1

on my Nittos, after a nice burnout, i was leaving at 3k and riding out the clutch. No hop. Pulled a 1.8 60ft in one of my best launches ever, nose up the entire 1st-2nd gear, and im no stranger to the AWD launch.

V-Sicks

Established Member
Air them down to 18lbs, do a good burnout, launch at 3500 and see what happens.

Will 26x11.5x16 have enough sidewall or should i step down to a 15?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
i use a 2step too @ 5000 and clutch dump it. video in my sig.

musclefan21

Established Member
rev it up to 4500-5000RPM on sticky tires (i.e. ET streets) let the clutch just enough to get the car moving and the second it moves, floor it and let the clutch go all the way.

^^ That is a safe way to do it. The reason I would floor the car after it moved a little bit because I didn't wanna shock the rear and cause a possible breakage. Plus, you don't wanna dump the clutch unless you are making some good power or else these pigs are too heavy, even a pullied cobra will bog when you dump the clutch. Launch it like an automatic car. That is how I do it and it works every time. Good luck!

btmhwb

Established Member
musclefan nice vid!!! I have a vert, now much slower you think I would be if i could drive like that? same exact mods pretty much

bb97gt

Established Member
I have 275/50/15 ET Streets, i had them at 17 psi, did a good long burnout, only left at 3500 rpm and cut a 1.55 60'. Try slipping the clutch a little bit, and as soon as you start rolling let it out and give it hell. I was surprised how hard you can leave on a stock IRS

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Gotcha, how much boost? I wish my car left the hole like yours though!!!

thanks, only 15#'s, no where near where this blower shines. i wanted to see how far i could get on such minimal boost with completely stock street trim. next im going to up the boost and do a lot of weight reduction while still being able to keep the irs and still drive it everyday.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Here is a decent video of me launching at about 4000 and dumping the clutch.
This is on MT ET Street bias ply 26x11.5x15.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiMQwcCBxUs]YouTube - Rick's Cobra 2[/ame]

-

Last edited:

04Cobra23

Twin Screwed
Established Member
thanks, only 15#'s, no where near where this blower shines. i wanted to see how far i could get on such minimal boost with completely stock street trim. next im going to up the boost and do a lot of weight reduction while still being able to keep the irs and still drive it everyday.

On 17psi I trapped 127 with bfg dr's, no powershifting, 2.0 60ft. Same blower. Im going to try it with et streets and dump it:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread