Give me tips on launching a IRS!!

musclefan21

Established Member
musclefan nice vid!!! I have a vert, now much slower you think I would be if i could drive like that? same exact mods pretty much

drive it like that and the air is cool and nice I say 11.4 - 11.5 or faster. I always said and I still say, If I had another chance to go to track with my cobra, just a little bit cooler air (low 50s, high 40s), I could run an 11.1 with it. I knew my car, she had it in it and I had the skills to squeeze it out of her but I sold it a couple weeks after that :(

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
I'm definitely a fan of slight clutch slip until it moves and floor it. I'm launching on ET Streets as well.

yep! that's me as well. I will argue with anyone that it actually works better than dumping the clutch, unless you are making big power. You can't just dump the clutch with a pullied cobra, the car is too heavy and not enough power, it will bog. You will still cut a decent 60' but I say in 1.7x to high 1.6x

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
On 17psi I trapped 127 with bfg dr's, no powershifting, 2.0 60ft. Same blower. Im going to try it with et streets and dump it:banana:

careful with the et street radials, they're not as forgiving as a bias ply

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Last season I had a SRA in the Cobra and swapped back to a IRS last fall. Give me some advice on launching it properly. I've got a Brace and 315/35/17 M/T et street radials. I know I need more sidewall but these will have to do for now. Thanks :beer:
Best "tip" I could give you would be to try and get a pair of drag slicks to run on your IRS setup. I know you're currently running drag radials, but slicks are a superior way to launch these cars, especially with the IRS. And with slicks and 500 RWHP, it's certainly realistic to hit consistent 1.5 60' times. I've had decent success with a modest dump at 5,000 rpm, but am going to raise my launch rpm to 6,000 this year and see if I can hit some LOW 1.5's.......

musclefan21

Established Member
So which brand would you recommend? I am a little nervous launching hard on slicks.. I see alot of you guys doing it, my luck it will break..

keep the ET streets, just work on your launch. you do not have to dump the clutch. just rev it up to 5k RPM and slip the clutch, you will be fine. Trust me, at track you want ET streets.

oh by the way, if you have never driven on slicks before, I recommend you get used to them at a back road before you run down the track. Tall and soft sidewall makes the rear feel like it is a boat. the rear of the car goes from one side to other side and you gotta be gentle on the steering wheel to keep the car straight. (My experience)

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
keep the ET streets, just work on your launch. you do not have to dump the clutch. just rev it up to 5k RPM and slip the clutch, you will be fine. Trust me, at track you want ET streets.
OP is running ET Street Radials, not ET Street DOT slicks. HUGE difference......With ET Street slicks, "slipping" the clutch is not the optimal way to launch and will not take maximal advantage of the benefit of the slicks.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
with a true slick you dont have to be afraid of dumping the clutch. ET streets i would slip until the car moves like everyone above is saying.

stanzione88

Established Member
Ive run at 1/8 mile with my 03 vert cobra, full weight stock wheels street tires and pulled a 1.96 60 foot, 8.1 pass at 90.1mph.
Now im heading this weekend to a 1/4 mile and would like to borrow from a friend the M/T et street mounted on the 06 gt wheels but dont know if these will fit the cobra. Also need some tips on launching my heavy beast.

Help me out.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Ive run at 1/8 mile with my 03 vert cobra, full weight stock wheels street tires and pulled a 1.96 60 foot, 8.1 pass at 90.1mph.
Now im heading this weekend to a 1/4 mile and would like to borrow from a friend the M/T et street mounted on the 06 gt wheels but dont know if these will fit the cobra. Also need some tips on launching my heavy beast.

Help me out.

Are you going to PBIR on Friday?
Are the tires bias ply of radial?
The offset is different but should fit.

stanzione88

Established Member
Im planning to go on sunday.
Tires are Mickeys ET STREET RADIALS 275/40r17.
I also want to know if they will allow me to run since im a convertible and dont have a rollbar and def i will go faster than 13.49.

Thanks

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Im planning to go on sunday.
Tires are Mickeys ET STREET RADIALS 275/40r17.
I also want to know if they will allow me to run since im a convertible and dont have a rollbar and def i will go faster than 13.49.

Thanks

The radials will definitely get you a lot better traction but are not as forgiving in reference to hitting the drive train.
They will let you run and may say something to you about your times.
Orlando Speed World didn't say a thing to me about my convertible until I started running below mid 11s.
Have a great time and let us know how it goes!

-

Last edited:

V-Sicks

Established Member
Thanks all for the responses. I have ran slicks before on my sra setup so I know what they feel like down the track. I plan on getting a 16in slick setup when it warms up a bit but for right now im going to make some test runs with my dr's

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
So what exactly is "it" that breaks the halfshafts and such? Is it more so the wheelhop or is it the shock of the grabbing of the tire? Are there any people on this board that have snapped a halfshaft running an et bias ply tire? I am wanting to know because I myself will be running et street slicks this year and I am hoping the irs will hold up with just an iirs brace.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
So what exactly is "it" that breaks the halfshafts and such? Is it more so the wheelhop or is it the shock of the grabbing of the tire? Are there any people on this board that have snapped a halfshaft running an et bias ply tire? I am wanting to know because I myself will be running et street slicks this year and I am hoping the irs will hold up with just an iirs brace.

Fortunately I have never broken a half shaft.
I have been racing my car for more than 4 years on the stock half shafts with no breakage.
I am launching on spray at over 615hp.
This is on MT ET Street bias ply 26x11.5x15.
Maybe my set are factory freaks?
There is a spare used set in my garage just in case.
I can't expect any axles(solid or half shafts) to survive this kind of abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread