Give me tips on launching a IRS!!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
So what exactly is "it" that breaks the halfshafts and such? Is it more so the wheelhop or is it the shock of the grabbing of the tire? Are there any people on this board that have snapped a halfshaft running an et bias ply tire? I am wanting to know because I myself will be running et street slicks this year and I am hoping the irs will hold up with just an iirs brace.
It's the stiffness of the sidewall of a street tire or drag radial that "re-transferes" a good deal of the torsional forces from the drivetrain to the tires and back to the drivetrain. With a softer sidewalled tire, the tire itself will absorb a bit of these forces and not transfere it back through the drivetrain. Make sense?

I have broken 2 half shafts on drag radials and 0 on slicks.......

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
It's the stiffness of the sidewall of a street tire or drag radial that "re-transferes" a good deal of the torsional forces from the drivetrain to the tires and back to the drivetrain. With a softer sidewalled tire, the tire itself will absorb a bit of these forces and not transfere it back through the drivetrain. Make sense?

I have broken 2 half shafts on drag radials and 0 on slicks.......

so in a sense, it's almost safer to run full slicks than drag radials at a track?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
so in a sense, it's almost safer to run full slicks than drag radials at a track?

absloutely!!!
The slicks absorb the initial hit and transfer less shock to the drive train.
Also slicks almost never wheels hop.
Here is a pic of my rear tire at launch.

DSC_410220copy3.jpg

-

Last edited:

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
wow i never knew that! i was always under the impression that the harder your car hooked, the more stress is put on the drive train, thus more parts breaking. :idea:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
wow i never knew that! i was always under the impression that the harder your car hooked, the more stress is put on the drive train, thus more parts breaking. :idea:

This is actually true but if we can lauch harder, hook with less shock to the drive train the better.

TheDarkness03

MOAR DOTS!!!
Established Member
absloutely!!!
The slicks absorb the initial hit and transfer less shock to the drive train.
Also slicks almost never wheels hop.
Here is a pic of my rear tire at launch.

DSC_410220copy3.jpg

-

thats quite a pic there :thumbsup:

i was always kinda afraid to buy slicks...but now i think i may need some in the near future :pepper:

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Once you goto the track with DOT slicks or slicks, you'll never go back to a DR, TRUST ME!

I dropped a full second on my 1/4 time going from street tires straight to ET Streets with no other mods. 13.3 to a 12.3 - Stock pulley!

Mr Patience

Canadian Eh!
Established Member
I have to agree with all that say slicks are the #1 choice for the IRS. I made over 60 passes this past summer with a 5000 - 6000 rpm launch (1.61 - 1.65) each time and no issues.

15809596.jpg

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
What everyone said - rev 'er up, let 'er rip and hold on for the ride. 0 half-shaft breakage - over 250+ passes on Slicks/ET streets. 1 half shaft breakage on DR's...

AntexLaunch.jpg

Launch-tirewrinkle-1.jpg

Last edited:

Silver o1

Let the spooling begin
Established Member
I have to agree with all that say slicks are the #1 choice for the IRS. I made over 60 passes this past summer with a 5000 - 6000 rpm launch (1.61 - 1.65) each time and no issues.

15809596.jpg

You made those passes on a 99 irs?

Silver o1

Let the spooling begin
Established Member
Anybody have any experience launching 01 cobra on 17

Anybody have any experience launching a 01 cobra on 17" et streets with just a billetflow brace?

Users who are viewing this thread