"GMEATR" 5.0 had a little too much on his plate.

greg86

Established Member
I Thought everyone knew a c5z with stock drivetrain and sticky tires would end in damage. Especially with novice driver behind the wheel. So no cystal ball... Just common knowledge :read:

Apparently the OP didn't or he would have called AAA earlier so they could have been waiting for him at the gate.

greg86

Established Member
When I broke my rear it took out my trans, so all seriousness I hope it was just an axle-shaft because things can turn from $200-$2000+ very quickly.

greg86

Established Member
Oh great, now you are going to teach me something about drag racing late model Vettes. It is people like you why newcomers are so disappointed when they go to the track. Have to love the internet. Keep telling everyone that mild head/cam c5z's should run 10's in a 6 speed. I guess you read the OP went 12.3 @ 118 and figured, hey that should be 10's no problem. Amazing you think youre comparing apples to apples with your car. Not like your 9" rear, 4.10's, front skinnies, or suspension setup aid in your track times compared to the OP's car. Not to mention the front mounted trans in an F-body is nowhere near the same as the rear-mounted transaxle in a Y-body. Just common knowledge :read:

Things just got interesting, again.:banana:

BayareaSS

Established Member
Oh great, now you are going to teach me something about drag racing late model Vettes. It is people like you why newcomers are so disappointed when they go to the track. Have to love the internet. Keep telling everyone that mild head/cam c5z's should run 10's in a 6 speed. I guess you read the OP went 12.3 @ 118 and figured, hey that should be 10's no problem. Amazing you think youre comparing apples to apples with your car. Not like your 9" rear, 4.10's, front skinnies, or suspension setup aid in your track times compared to the OP's car. Not to mention the front mounted trans in an F-body is nowhere near the same as the rear-mounted transaxle in a Y-body. Just common knowledge :read:

A 450hp c5z should run low 11s all day and high 10s in good weather. If ok drivers can run 12.2-12.4 stock then why can't one with 100 more hp and a good 60ft run 10's?
All his 12.3 at 118 showed me is that he ran his car without proper tires and still needs to work on his driving. A local guy ran high 11's all day with intake and tires and hit a best of 11.6... So why can't the op run 10.8-11.1?
Btw my car runs good times without the skinnies up front and my suspension isn't drag oriented so that isn't helping much. I also ran decent times before the 9"...So If my MILD h/c camaro is getting close to the 10s then why can't he?

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Good I am glad he got put in his place :)

I love bringing people to reality, especially when its a truck doing it!

BayareaSS

Established Member
Horsepower is on a diminshing returns basis relative to drag racing. Talking about a stock car running X, so adding horsepower should run Y is ignorant.

BTW, I didn't say it wasn't possible to run a 10 with 450whp as it has been done. It has been done with less. However, it is all about the complete setup. It is also ridiculous, to sit there and say it should run 10.8-11.1 "no problem".

Yes, people can run x time with y power but after how many passes? RobZ ran a 10.9 with a cam only setup making 430whp. Do you think he did it on his first try out? Do you think everyone can do it? Would you say that it is "no problem". Stock C6Z's have gone 10's. Should that be "no problem". The problem is, people see that he did it and posted his time, and now someone that builds a "cam-only" setup making the same power thinks they have a 10 second car. They don't.

Regarding your car, why dont you post up facts, not it runs close, it ran good before this, decent before that, the suspension isn't drag oriented (btw just about any suspension will help on a f-body). Also post how many passes it took to get those times.

Again, comparing what it takes to get into the 11's, to what it takes to get into the 10's, compared to what it takes to get into the 9's ect is silly. Sure if it is "no problem" to run a 10.8 with 450whp, 650whp would be what a 9.5? I can only imagine what a 1000whp car would run. Probably like 7's :rollseyes

Once you get into the mid 10s and faster it gets harder to drop time off your et. 11's and up and its fairly easy to drop a tenth. Oh btw, a stock c6z with tires and a driver should run low 11's.... No problem.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
a fellow on another board broke his C5z several times at the track. he finally sold it and drives a C6. well will drive a C6, when the motor gets fixed. drag racing is expensive for more than the initial cost of building the car. HP breaks stuff off.

OP, sorry it broke. just wait till you hit the spray.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
After more input and talking with the guys who built it, they're thinking it is the LS7 clutch that exploded. Eitherway... Something is ****ed up...

NA_Cobra

Established Member
A 450hp c5z should run low 11s all day and high 10s in good weather. If ok drivers can run 12.2-12.4 stock then why can't one with 100 more hp and a good 60ft run 10's?
All his 12.3 at 118 showed me is that he ran his car without proper tires and still needs to work on his driving. A local guy ran high 11's all day with intake and tires and hit a best of 11.6... So why can't the op run 10.8-11.1?
Btw my car runs good times without the skinnies up front and my suspension isn't drag oriented so that isn't helping much. I also ran decent times before the 9"...So If my MILD h/c camaro is getting close to the 10s then why can't he?

Sorry bro, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that statement. 450rwhp C5Zs with avg drivers, whom by they way are the majority are averaging 11.7s - 12.1s. low 11s are a bit optimistic. And this is assuming everyone are on stock rears and street tires/drag radials.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
After more input and talking with the guys who built it, they're thinking it is the LS7 clutch that exploded. Eitherway... Something is ****ed up...

There could be several reasons, but you'll never know until you pull it apart. One quick solution you could try is jack the car up and put the car in neutral and turn both rear wheels. If the rear wheels spin together you're good, if not, you're SOL. Also while you're under there, take off the clutch inspection plate and shine a flash light up there and let me know what you see.

greg86

Established Member
There could be several reasons, but you'll never know until you pull it apart. One quick solution you could try is jack the car up and put the car in neutral and turn both rear wheels. If the rear wheels spin together you're good, if not, you're SOL. Also while you're under there, take off the clutch inspection plate and shine a flash light up there and let me know what you see.

^This, and was there any fluid on the ground? Did the clutch pedal drop to the floor? Like he said, could be plenty of things, but hopefully it was just the slave cylinder and you can pull that crappy ls7 clutch out and replace it with something that will actually hold power if you ever plan on using that "lsx shootout mod." ECS makes a nice trans brace that would be wise to do if the trans/rear is out.

BayareaSS

Established Member
Sorry bro, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on that statement. 450rwhp C5Zs with avg drivers, whom by they way are the majority are averaging 11.7s - 12.1s. low 11s are a bit optimistic. And this is assuming everyone are on stock rears and street tires/drag radials.

Hmm I guess I expect to much out of them. And I was assuming the c5z would be on drag radials. We may have a different opinion on what an average driver is as well. But I can agree with you that high 11s would be an average. That's pretty sad...

Users who are viewing this thread