Going away from power pipe. Questions..

DaveWertz

Established Member
So im going to run my setup without my power pipe and see how things go. Anyhow give me some options on what i can do about passenger side PVC hose?
0718221835.jpeg

Sent from my LM-Q620 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Hey Dave, I've seen some guys run a little 90 right off the valve cover and use a pcv breather. You may or may not have some oil residue buildup around the filter. Are you planning to put a air filter directly on the charger?

DaveWertz

Established Member
Im either going to put an air filter or turbo guard on the charger. Im just not seeing the benefit of the power pipe to be honest. I may try the 90 on the breather but really lookikg for a clean look. But with that intale pipe being so low my options are limited.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Im either going to put an air filter or turbo guard on the charger. Im just not seeing the benefit of the power pipe to be honest. I may try the 90 on the breather but really lookikg for a clean look. But with that intale pipe being so low my options are limited.

Putting a tiny filter directly on the SC definitely doesn't help much.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
What benefit do you believe that you are not getting? How are you determining this?

DaveWertz

Established Member
I actually wanna know what benefits I am getting from it. As far as cold air after it enters the blower its heated up then cooled at the IC so does it really make that much of a difference with it? Will I loose boost or gain boost by loosing it?
What benefit do you believe that you are not getting? How are you determining this?

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
If you stick a filter on the head unit it will draw hot air straight from the radiator. Where you have it now is most ideal. I'd take it off and paint/ powder coat it something trick looking and put it back on. Jmo!

96dreamer

Established Member
For anything other than an all out on the edge race car I would be running a power pipe and the biggest filter I could. Having filtered air is extremely important for a reliable long lasting power plant. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop in power if you ditch a power pipe/large filter combo for one of those tiny filter hats.

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
Buy a burger filter/turbo guard, put it on and do back to back 1/4 mile passes or Draggy pulls and report back.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Assuming you have a big ass filter on the power pipe and it’s clean I doubt you'd gain much at low/moderate boost levels. A filter that fits between the blower and fan would probably be a loss unless it's one of those really open turbo guards like you said

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, the blower does heat the air. Do you want to have a starting point of ambient or something warmer?

If you remove the powerpipe and put a screen directly on the blower inlet, you'll likely see a drop in performance.

I base this on the premise that by having an open inlet a boundary layer will form around the inside of the inlet, thus effectively reducing the size of the inlet. Add to this the mass of the screen further reduces the size of the inlet.

The powerpipe streamlines the air and funnels it into the unobstructed inlet and reduces the boundary layer. Even though the powerpipe has a filter on it, due to its size, it has a considerably larger surface area for air flow.

If you already have a 12"-14" filter on the powerpipe, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you just have to know for sure, you can always data log running both set-ups and see what has lower IAT's and pulls less timing.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Turbo guards are trash.. Don't go that route. I just ditched mine for a bellmouth.. I'll link the test that was done by PMAS..

I also have a buddy who at 25psi ran a turbo guard.. took it off went to a bellmouth picked up 3psi and 150rwhp.. But this is on a 1300+rwhp car..

For my personal car. I have been struggling to figure out why my car wouldn't make more than 23/24 psi.. Swapped to a billet wheel ysi.. dropped down pulley sizes.. did nothing. Right now the car is down for a custom 10rib setup I just added a bellmouth as well. I'm willing to bet if I took the time to remove my guard I would have picked up 2psi and a lot more power.. Don't waste the money.. Get a good filter and be done. Or if you're racing at the track get a bellmouth

Helomech74

Established Member
I ditched my power pipe and installed a blower guard and there was zero power loss across the board. I didn't really have a choice in removing the power pipe as I don't have the space for it, so the blower guard was installed and tested back to back, same day, same dyno, no difference in power. Now obviously if it's a daily driver, I'd figure out a way to install a filter, but this is a weekend toy at best for me me, so I don't care.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I ditched my power pipe and installed a blower guard and there was zero power loss across the board. I didn't really have a choice in removing the power pipe as I don't have the space for it, so the blower guard was installed and tested back to back, same day, same dyno, no difference in power. Now obviously if it's a daily driver, I'd figure out a way to install a filter, but this is a weekend toy at best for me me, so I don't care.
So I guess that test supports the idea that a power pipe isn't a restriction in flow at these power levels. Which isn't surprising given its large diameter and only 1 90° turn at the head unit right? Only thing is a dyno run is done hood open and won't replicate the heat transfer coming from the radiator like it would in driving conditions. Unless you're using a heat extractor hood and making over 1k hp, I can't see it being beneficial to go from a power pipe to filter only. (Unless you absolutely detest the looks of the pp or can't make the packaging work like in your case.) Some data logs on the street will be the only way to tell for sure, though I think I know the answer already.

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So I guess that test supports the idea that a power pipe isn't a restriction in flow at these power levels. Which isn't surprising given its large diameter and only 1 90° turn at the head unit right? Only thing is a dyno run is done hood open and won't replicate the heat transfer coming from the radiator like it would in driving conditions. Unless you're using a heat extractor hood and making over 1k hp, I can't see it being beneficial to go from a power pipe to filter only. (Unless you absolutely detest the looks of the pp or can't make the packaging work like in your case.) Some data logs on the street will be the only way to tell for sure, though I think I know the answer already.
I don't really think it's a crazy big restriction until 800rwhp or so. But I'm guessing right now. My car is making in the 1100rwhp range I'm pretty sure so a Turbo Guard or anything at my level is going to effect it. I do have a home made powerpipe/filter combo that I run on the street but it's pretty much for no boost and cruising.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I don't really think it's a crazy big restriction until 800rwhp or so. But I'm guessing right now. My car is making in the 1100rwhp range I'm pretty sure so a Turbo Guard or anything at my level is going to effect it. I do have a home made powerpipe/filter combo that I run on the street but it's pretty much for no boost and cruising.
Some hood-down dyno runs and data logs between pp, tg and bm would be interesting

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Some hood-down dyno runs and data logs between pp, tg and bm would be interesting

eh, I think youd have to do it on the street to really know what air flow does, I doubt it takes much MPH to exceed what dyno room fans move
It would 100% have to be done on the street or track and view boost/fuel flow/ etc

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
It would 100% have to be done on the street or track and view boost/fuel flow/ etc

eh, I think youd have to do it on the street to really know what air flow does, I doubt it takes much MPH to exceed what dyno room fans move
Yea I don't disagree, that's why i mentioned the data logs. The dyno runs would be just for power numbers and hood closed would be as close to finding real world numbers as I guess you could get. Would be a test that few, if any, have done i bet.

Users who are viewing this thread