Going deer hunting for the first time...Need advice

DE07GT

Established Member
It's the flatness... a bullet can go further than you can see

I know this.
A muzzleloader can shoot far distances too, but they're not illegal even though you're shooting slugs through a rifled barrel. The woods in my area are extremely dense so a bullet isn't going as far as shooting in an empty field. My family owns over a hundred acres... if someone gets hit, they're trespassing.

Plus it's legal to shoot squirrels that are in trees during squirrel season with a .22. That is more dangerous than shooting a deer from an elevated position instead of the exact opposite.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never used camo. It's not as important when firearm hunting than when you are archery hunting.

Also, why are you using a shotgun? How far out do you plan on shooting?

If Montana hunting is at all similar to Utah (it is) I never used camo, a tree stand, scents, a shotgun, or any other variety of toys for a non-archery hunt. White-tail hunts are almost like going to the zoo with the tree-stands, feeders, and all variety of ammenities.:fart:

Driver500

Established Member
Deer do cry sometimes when they're hit and laying there dying. My buddy went out for archery for his first time and shot a deer years ago and this happened.
He cried too and never went again.

That is what the knife is for. If you happen to wound an animal it's nice to have an alternative to ending its suffering quickly rather than a close range 2nd shot.

Personal experience after a similar situation put a knife on my necessary equipment list. I didnt carry one up to that point since where I hunt we don't field dress. Just toss it on the wheeler and head back to camp to dress it out.

I will say..kneeling on an animal so it didn't kick me and cutting its throat to ease its suffering from a head shot that should have killed it wasn't pleasant. It's a necessary thing in the event the animal lingers but not fun.

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
50 yards isn't really that far. I've shot a boar at 125 with normal sights with no problem and I would say I'm an average shooter. If it was my first time out I'd plan on shooting something closer anyway.

Rifles are illegal for deer hunting in Delaware too. Kind of stupid considering most of the state isn't densely populated and that .50 Cal muzzleloaders are legal during the specific season.

I know it's most definitely possible to hit something at 50 with irons, but the OP is new, and new hunters aren't usually the best of shots, even if they are good shooters. Buck fever, I believe it's called.

OP, you are using slugs and not buckshot, right?

If Montana hunting is at all similar to Utah (it is) I never used camo, a tree stand, scents, a shotgun, or any other variety of toys for a non-archery hunt. White-tail hunts are almost like going to the zoo with the tree-stands, feeders, and all variety of ammenities.:fart:

Indeed. My dad and I refer to that type of hunting as "shopping".

oldmodman

Established Member
You guys are making this WAY to complicated.

Just don't brake when they run out in front of you.

And be driving a rental car.

DE07GT

Established Member
You guys are making this WAY to complicated.

Just don't brake when they run out in front of you.

And be driving a rental car.

Don't even have to do that. My dad and I were watching a buck in a friend's field when we were standing out back the other day. We watched it try to cross the road, heard a slam and saw the deer fly at least 20 ft in the air. We drove down there right away to look at it. The woman that hit it didn't want it, so after the cop saw the deer, we took it home and cut it up. Got a deer and it's not even deer season yet.

Grantl27

Based poster
Established Member
Make sure you take a 4x4 truck (preferably a z71) that has no cats or muffler so that the deer won't be able to hear you coming and have Jason Aldean blaring. But for real keep your papers organized and on you wardens are the best at enforcing laws. Yeeaw brother :thumbsup:

Last edited:

tdschst

Established Member
I know it's most definitely possible to hit something at 50 with irons, but the OP is new, and new hunters aren't usually the best of shots, even if they are good shooters. Buck fever, I believe it's called.

OP, you are using slugs and not buckshot, right?

Buck shot I believe, my barrel is not rifled. Would I still be able to use a slug?

try03venom

Established Member
be safe #1
knife
6 ft rope
compass
warm boots and clothing
food
sit all day let the deer come to you
dont fall asleep and fall out of tree stand and use a safety harness
make sure your rifle has a 100yrd zero

MachsFastr

Established Member
Buck shot I believe, my barrel is not rifled. Would I still be able to use a slug?

Use rifled slugs for smooth barrels. Buckshot has killed many a deer as well, you just will not get a great blood trail.
I'm not a fan of lock-on stands, but if you must, the one you've chosen looks ok. I'd rather use my Summit Viper and move locations quicker.
Gloves, yes they are a good idea for quick clean up. Personally I've never fooled with them and usually have plenty of water available for clean up.
Camo, I use it buts not a necessity. I've killed plenty of them color blind deer in my work uniform(blue/white).
I would use scent controlling products and use the wind to my advantage.

Congrats, you will be hunting some of the most prime territory in the USA for deer!

Speed Demon

Established Member
Dont forget the most important things lots of beer and a bottle of liquor. The beer to drink while your back at the camp, and the liquor to use as a fire starter for the wood you spent all afternoon pissing out the beer on!

But in all seriousness you should be fine with the stuff you've and others have listed. Definitely have a good knife or side arm on you just in case the deer doesn't die on the first shot.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Don't cut yourself when gutting the deer. My brother did that.

Also, gloves are for pansies.

+1, if you don't get deer blood on you from your first deer you might as well not even go.

I wouldn't worry too much about camo, especially with a gun. Scent and being quiet are more important. I mean camo is important, but I've saw people kill the same amount of deer whether they are wearing a set up specif for the area and time of year as people wearing army surplus traditional camo.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Bring a sidearm.
Gun sighted in for the yardage you will be shooting?
Color pattern on cammo doesnt matter as much as how you and your clothes smell. Bring anything you think will make you feel comfortable, such as a cushion, as you will be sitting for hours.
Let the killing begin...good luck

he needed a permit to even purchase a shotgun, I think carrying a sidearm is out lol.

dress warm that's my advice. 4am in Il in late November has got to be cold as hell.

DefCon3

Established Member
Memorize these:

COW:
cow.jpg

DEER:
deer.jpg

NOT A DEER:
RlIabTP1y04lkXhadvD2HRDuOcXmLCLmxerFmAtrqltMB05oRtNnmiTGwnH3oJfrT1ETJ1RJkPbAOf0KOQJMkUizuJbRk8up9-US5or4oGM7ePH_bSXnDFfgDrWBU5dRzQVXMmvNfHF8OmNEk1MZjKpWJ5kcLBptjkrr0YYVusHsdLsEqjqW5WbVMSzXwK6gJzWXnRzfFNCF71XjBVsSyT-TwkcRHXiCBQOI134IhEKb-rZXjQMPhT_oL-QtH2yUCOMMxsPIdLv6gvJ9_I93MH9nBiSdZaIToACKcqqs1VbD6XZ_iFFN4kJR2IZsyhICpbX1wtxu2g

Users who are viewing this thread