Going deer hunting for the first time...Need advice

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I've killed over 100 deer and not one of them have made a noise when I shot them lol. Someone had some bad luck.

Gloves are a good thing because there are a lot of diseases now a days. I don't wear them but they're a good idea.

Best thing to do is ALWAYS hunt DOWNWIND of where you think they are coming. Get in your stand about half hour before daylight at least and be super quiet. No sudden movements either. If you do move always try and make sure you're moving down or level to do something. Never a quick movement up because that's something that'll catch their eyes. Up means something is alarmed.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Deer do cry sometimes when they're hit and laying there dying. My buddy went out for archery for his first time and shot a deer years ago and this happened.
He cried too and never went again.

get a rifle.. if they are still crying use a larger faster bullet (requiring a faster rifle) the last deer I shot, hit in the back of the head and the bullet exited out right above the nose.. absolutely NOTHING left to the top of the head (a guy with me said that he's never seen so much carnage done to the head of a deer) of course a 300 grain bullet moving about 3000 fps will do that...

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
I don't know if it's been said but wash your camouflaged clothes that you'll be hunting in cold water once or twice w/o detergent or fabric softener as this will make it HARDER for the deer to smell you on a windy day.

Wash yourself about 2-3 times for the same reason.

A knife w/ a gut hook and an ax or saw to cut through the pelvic bone if your gonna do your own processing

A sled to drag your deer because you don't want to carry it because you could get shot doing it and they are fairly heavy.

Last edited:

tdschst

Established Member
be safe #1
knife
6 ft rope
compass
warm boots and clothing
food
sit all day let the deer come to you
dont fall asleep and fall out of tree stand and use a safety harness
make sure your rifle has a 100yrd zero

I plan on bringing rope with me, I was going to use it to lift everything up to the tree. Why do you say 6 ft though?

Use rifled slugs for smooth barrels. Buckshot has killed many a deer as well, you just will not get a great blood trail.
I'm not a fan of lock-on stands, but if you must, the one you've chosen looks ok. I'd rather use my Summit Viper and move locations quicker.
Gloves, yes they are a good idea for quick clean up. Personally I've never fooled with them and usually have plenty of water available for clean up.
Camo, I use it buts not a necessity. I've killed plenty of them color blind deer in my work uniform(blue/white).
I would use scent controlling products and use the wind to my advantage.

Congrats, you will be hunting some of the most prime territory in the USA for deer!

Wow that Viper is a nice stand. I've actually looked at those in Cabela's catalogs, just a little out of my price range right now. Maybe as I start upgrading. I'm really excited about being able to go hunting finally, I've been wanting to do it for a few years.

Make sure to pick up slugs for smooth bore barrels. There are two types: one for rifled barrels and one for non-rifled barrels.

I'll make sure to get slugs for smooth bore barrels. Is there a specific grain I should use?

Take a GT500 mirror. Deer love those things.

I'll make sure to keep one with me to attract them. Maybe Grant can let me use the "famous" one

Dont forget the most important things lots of beer and a bottle of liquor. The beer to drink while your back at the camp, and the liquor to use as a fire starter for the wood you spent all afternoon pissing out the beer on!

But in all seriousness you should be fine with the stuff you've and others have listed. Definitely have a good knife or side arm on you just in case the deer doesn't die on the first shot.

We are staying at my buddies cottage so I'm sure there will be a fridge full of beer. There's no CCW for Illinois so I'll make sure to keep a good knife with me.

+1, if you don't get deer blood on you from your first deer you might as well not even go.

I wouldn't worry too much about camo, especially with a gun. Scent and being quiet are more important. I mean camo is important, but I've saw people kill the same amount of deer whether they are wearing a set up specif for the area and time of year as people wearing army surplus traditional camo.

So is it kind of like eating the heart of the first fish you catch? Lol

he needed a permit to even purchase a shotgun, I think carrying a sidearm is out lol.

dress warm that's my advice. 4am in Il in late November has got to be cold as hell.

I have thermals that I use for snowboarding that I was going to use. I'm sure it will be cold, especially being stationary and not moving.

Memorize these:

COW:
cow.jpg

DEER:
deer.jpg

NOT A DEER:
RlIabTP1y04lkXhadvD2HRDuOcXmLCLmxerFmAtrqltMB05oRtNnmiTGwnH3oJfrT1ETJ1RJkPbAOf0KOQJMkUizuJbRk8up9-US5or4oGM7ePH_bSXnDFfgDrWBU5dRzQVXMmvNfHF8OmNEk1MZjKpWJ5kcLBptjkrr0YYVusHsdLsEqjqW5WbVMSzXwK6gJzWXnRzfFNCF71XjBVsSyT-TwkcRHXiCBQOI134IhEKb-rZXjQMPhT_oL-QtH2yUCOMMxsPIdLv6gvJ9_I93MH9nBiSdZaIToACKcqqs1VbD6XZ_iFFN4kJR2IZsyhICpbX1wtxu2g

Cow I'm good with but the deer and not a deer I'll really have to focus on haha. I read in Illinois you have to wear 400 sq in of orange so I'll have to get a vest now.

I've killed over 100 deer and not one of them have made a noise when I shot them lol. Someone had some bad luck.

Gloves are a good thing because there are a lot of diseases now a days. I don't wear them but they're a good idea.

Best thing to do is ALWAYS hunt DOWNWIND of where you think they are coming. Get in your stand about half hour before daylight at least and be super quiet. No sudden movements either. If you do move always try and make sure you're moving down or level to do something. Never a quick movement up because that's something that'll catch their eyes. Up means something is alarmed.

Good advice, never thought of being downwind. I'm sure that plays a huge role. I was almost thinking about getting one of those skirts that go on the shooting bar, but figured I didn't really need it.

I don't know if it's been said but wash your camouflaged clothes that you'll be hunting in cold water once or twice w/o detergent or fabric softener as this will make it HARDER for the deer to smell you on a windy day.

Wash yourself about 2-3 times for the same reason.

A knife w/ a gut hook and an ax or saw to cut through the pelvic bone if your gonna do your own processing

A sled to drag your deer because you don't want to carry it because you could get shot doing it and they are fairly heavy.

I will make sure to wash my clothes in cold water ONLY. I don't know exactly what they use to move the deer, but I'm sure they have something. I'll have to ask.

Going for the vitals wastes very little meat.

Going for the head does not constitute a clean kill or a clean miss. You've never seen a jawless deer during hunting season I take it.

I plan on going for a kill shot in the chest, especially if it's a nice rack. I'd like to get my first deer mounted. As i said earlier I heard I should trace the back of the front leg up to mid chest and that's where I should shoot. Is there someplace better? Besides head? I definitely wouldn't want it to suffer a slow death like starvation or something. I'm hunting but at the same time don't want to be cruel.

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated :beer:

blueovalfan

Established Member
Good luck, I'll be out in the stand this weekend. Heres a pic of my buddy cheesing after we put my stand up last week. Don't worry about bringing a sidearm in IL lol

SprintPhoto_bjmmkh-1-1.gif

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Going for the vitals wastes very little meat.

Going for the head does not constitute a clean kill or a clean miss. You've never seen a jawless deer during hunting season I take it.

not if they have been shot with an high velocity medium bore rifle.. even a shot that takes off the jaw is a killing shot..

grendel

Established Member
not if they have been shot with an high velocity medium bore rifle.. even a shot that takes off the jaw is a killing shot..

i like to shoot them right behind the jaw in the neck. .270 balistic tip drops them where they stand every time. i have shot a few in the shoulder and they stand right back up like nothing happened and run a little ways. when quartering those there was no heart to be found it was just mush.

Orange Dreamer

Established Member

i like to shoot them right behind the jaw in the neck. .270 balistic tip drops them where they stand every time. i have shot a few in the shoulder and they stand right back up like nothing happened and run a little ways. when quartering those there was no heart to be found it was just mush.

Except for the fact he already mentioned he has to use a shotgun because of his state rules so a rifle is out of the question.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
Buck shot I believe, my barrel is not rifled. Would I still be able to use a slug?

Not a good idea using a slug unless you have a rifled barrel unless you plan on getting really close up, a non rifled barrel really affect the accuracy of a slug. Not a very humane way to hunt a animal like a deer either using buckshot. It will kill one I am sure but wont put in down in a steaming heap.

Cant believe you cant use a rifle! I think I would sooner use a Bow than a shot gun for something like this.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
get a rifle.. if they are still crying use a larger faster bullet (requiring a faster rifle) the last deer I shot, hit in the back of the head and the bullet exited out right above the nose.. absolutely NOTHING left to the top of the head (a guy with me said that he's never seen so much carnage done to the head of a deer) of course a 300 grain bullet moving about 3000 fps will do that...

300 Grain for a deer? really? We have taken down a couple 1000lb + Moose with a 180-220 grain Nosler and thats been plenty out of a 30-06. What are ya shooting a 300 out of? .460 Weatherby Magnum? dam thats a Grizzly or a Cape Buffalo gun.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
I plan on going for a kill shot in the chest, especially if it's a nice rack. I'd like to get my first deer mounted. As i said earlier I heard I should trace the back of the front leg up to mid chest and that's where I should shoot. Is there someplace better? Besides head? I definitely wouldn't want it to suffer a slow death like starvation or something. I'm hunting but at the same time don't want to be cruel.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/Whitetail_Deer_Image_with_markings.jpg

300 Grain for a deer? really? We have taken down a couple 1000lb + Moose with a 180-220 grain Nosler and thats been plenty out of a 30-06. What are ya shooting a 300 out of? .460 Weatherby Magnum? dam thats a Grizzly or a Cape Buffalo gun.

I'm sure it's the .375 in his sig. Some people don't understand the concept of overkill I guess.

MachsFastr

Established Member
I'm using my new Tikka T3 .25-06 this year. Plenty of gun for deer.
I used black powder exclusively last year. Shot 5 deer and only had one run 100yds or so. It was also the smallest. Took a nice 13 pt. last year.

Users who are viewing this thread