Going in for the TSB....Shifter ? for ya

RSH427R

Established Member
Well the time has come for the tranny TSB. I wanted to wait as long as possible for this repair. My dealer finally has one under the belt and I will we be next. While it's apart I am going to upgrade my shifter.

I have heard the positive stop type are the best. <<-- The only one I can find is the Pro 5.0. Any other suggestions? The dealer is installing a Ford racing one in the car they are doing the TSB on right now. He said it wasn't that impressive.

On another note I was washing the car in one of those "do-it-yourself" car washes and a big chunk of my door sticker blew off. :fm: So I guess they will do a re-stripe also.

By the way he said it would take 2 1/2 days....how long did yours take??

Last edited:

barstoolman

Established Member
Had my shifter done when I did my clutch TSB......installed the FRPP short throw "cue ball" shifter....love it!! It looks great as well. FRPP now offer it in black, an "eight ball" shifter so to speak.

RSH427R

Established Member
Had my shifter done when I did my clutch TSB......installed the FRPP short throw "cue ball" shifter....love it!! It looks great as well. FRPP now offer it in black, an "eight ball" shifter so to speak.

Is that considered a positive stop type? I'm no shifter expert but was told to seek out this type. :shrug: Hell I don't even know what it means. FRPP is cheaper, so that's a plus.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
I really really like my KR shifter I had put in during the TSB also I had Ford racing spring put in at the same time. I really really like them also.

alloy500

Established Member
+1, Shelby (SPP) shifter. Love mine.
I think its the only one with the positive stops but there is debate as if the stops are really neccesary since there are stops already built into our trannys, backup cant hurt I guess.

RSH427R

Established Member
+1, Shelby (SPP) shifter. Love mine.
I think its the only one with the positive stops but there is debate as if the stops are really neccesary since there are stops already built into our trannys, backup cant hurt I guess.

Ok, so educate me on these stops. I do like the Shelby shifter with the logo handle. I think the PRO 5.0 has the stops also. Apparently the Ford racing one doesn't. :shrug:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
from what i know the trannys in the GT500 already have internal stops and does not require a shifter with stops, thats why the Stock and KR do not use them.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Well the time has come for the tranny TSB. I wanted to wait as long as possible for this repair. My dealer finally has one under the belt and I will we be next. While it's apart I am going to upgrade my shifter.

I have heard the positive stop type are the best. <<-- The only one I can find is the Pro 5.0. Any other suggestions? The dealer is installing a Ford racing one in the car they are doing the TSB on right now. He said it wasn't that impressive.

On another note I was washing the car in one of those "do-it-yourself" car washes and a big chunk of my door sticker blew off. :fm: So I guess they will do a re-stripe also.

By the way he said it would take 2 1/2 days....how long did yours take??

Been there....done that....had a Steeda Tri-Ax and thought it was great. Had the trans replaced and was asked to try the "KR" shifter. I like the handle...and the cue ball is OK (I had a Hurst pistol grip on the Steeda) but the mechanicals are mediocre at best. I promised I'd keep it in for a while but I didn't promise to sing its praises. Do yourself a favor and go Steeda.

bj

RSH427R

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Still not sure what exactly these stops do but it looks like the Pro 5.0 and Shelby units are equipped. I think I will go with the Shelby as long as I can find one in time. I see American Muscle is sold out and Shelby Performance is about the slowest vendor on the face of the earth. Anyone else know of a vendor that might have them in stock. I did a quick Google but can up short.

Thanks

MrRob96fs

U like them spinnin tires
Established Member
The shift stops are designed to keep you from bending shift forks. The TR6060 has internal stops but it doesn't protect your linkage from getting destroyed if you go hulk on the shifter. So shift stops basically protect the long black bar of your shifter and the gear selector inside the tranny. Tremec doesn't recommend using shift stops because if you incorrectly set them, you can cause damage to the gears in the gear box if they are not completely engaged and you put 500+ ft lbs of torque through them.

alloy500

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Still not sure what exactly these stops do but it looks like the Pro 5.0 and Shelby units are equipped. I think I will go with the Shelby as long as I can find one in time. I see American Muscle is sold out and Shelby Performance is about the slowest vendor on the face of the earth. Anyone else know of a vendor that might have them in stock. I did a quick Google but can up short.

Thanks

Give Moss Mustang in California a call. Shelby is out and waiting on more units to arrive, they told me a few months ago that they would have them by mid April, which translates into late July :poke:.

RSH427R

Established Member
The shift stops are designed to keep you from bending shift forks. The TR6060 has internal stops but it doesn't protect your linkage from getting destroyed if you go hulk on the shifter. So shift stops basically protect the long black bar of your shifter and the gear selector inside the tranny. Tremec doesn't recommend using shift stops because if you incorrectly set them, you can cause damage to the gears in the gear box if they are not completely engaged and you put 500+ ft lbs of torque through them.

Ok that helps. So hopefully the Ford guy knows how to set them.

Give Moss Mustang in California a call. Shelby is out and waiting on more units to arrive, they told me a few months ago that they would have them by mid April, which translates into late July :poke:.

Thanks for the info on Moss. I called and they have 6 coming in next week, 5 of which were already sold. Mine was the sixth. :beer:

RSH427R

Established Member
Update for those that care: Service Manager made me bring the car in before they would order the TSB parts. I explained the chatter issue and he said I was on my own, Ford only covers the clutch for 12 months. :fm:

I about came unglued. He must have sensed that I was about to pull his balls through his mouth b/c he agreed to have the transmission tech go for a spin.
It's going in after Memorial Day for the TSB, new stripe, air bag recall and Shelby Shifter install all courtesy of FOMO. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread