going to fill in the Eaton silencer holes this weekend....

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
any pros or cons other than making the blower louder ?

I did this on my old Harley Davidson Eaton and it sounded kick ass :) WEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!

does steigmier usually fill the silencer holes as part of their porting and polishing work ? Seems like a lot of Eaton cars are much louder than mine. Of course mine is stock pulleys and boost etc...

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
I want to plug mine as well. I read a posting somewhere from Eaton that said the silencers are only there to meet db req. for manufacturers. "If you plug them it will be loud, and it does not affect heat or IAT2's"

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
JB weld works just fine. I ported, JB welded the silencer holes and pulley my lightning and it was really loud. I pulled the blower to install a Kenne Bell and the jb weld looked perfect not a single problem.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
Interested here...where are these holes!? and anybody know of any videos of how it sounds afterwards?

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
A ported Eaton is extremely loud, much louder than a KB or Whipple. I'm not
sure why you'd want the blower to scream any more than that.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I'm 99% sure I'll never spend the money to port my Eaton. I plan to skip that and save the money for a Whipple or KB. This is just for fun until then...

JB Weld (the original stuff only) is what I used last time and it was perfect. The quick mix version or whatever has a much lower heat rating.

here's pics from my doing it before. I loved it...made pedestrians run like hell lol It had a stock Harley upper and a 4# lower :) which made 400RWHP / 500RWTQ on my 5.4 F150. I have also heard that you pick up a small amount of boost by filling the holes. I filled the holes before I put my blower on before so I didn't get to compare before and after boost.

my pics from doing it last time below. I pulled the rotors out and put duct tape on the inside of the housing over the holes and JB welded the bottom and in the 4 oval shaped holes real good. That way when it dries the JB Weld never gets inside the blower by the rotors. I still sanded it insode just a tad to be 100% sure. Just score up the area that will have JB weld on it real good to ensure it sticks to the blower good. I scratched the area up with a file. The blower is crazy simple to pull apart. I had never done it before or seen it done and I did it w/o any problems. Just be sure you save the oil that you drain out of the Eaton and reuse it if you want b/c it's pretty damn expensive from Ford.

blower4.jpg

blower5.jpg

blower6.jpg

blowerholes.jpg

Last edited:

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
anyone have pics of the bottom of a Termi Eaton ? the silencer holes are the same right ?

now that I look at my own pics I don't know that the snout had to be separated from the rotors to pull the rotor pack out which would have saved the Eatons oil.

MVD

Established Member
now that I look at my own pics I don't know that the snout had to be separated from the rotors to pull the rotor pack out which would have saved the Eatons oil.

The snout does not have to be seperated from the rotor pack, you can pull both out together. So yes you can save your oil, but I am not sure why you would want to. Just replace it with GM oil, much cheaper than buying from Ford.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
^Just replace it with Mobil 1 and that's even cheaper.

This is not a performance gain and will not give you any extra boost.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
So yes you can save your oil, but I am not sure why you would want to. Just replace it with GM oil, much cheaper than buying from Ford.

true. My blower was a bran new OEM assembly at that time which is why I wanted to keep the oil.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The Lightning guys have been doing it forever, and it makes the blower scream. Steig says he doesn't recommend it on the Cobra's eaton because those holes are there to help with cooling, and by plugging them up we would raise temps. But we haven't seen anything to support that, I would like to see a comparison to prove or disprove this.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The engineers at eaton have told me that plugging them or welding them shut is a good idea. They are there to reduce noise, but in the process they bleed off pressure. The aftermarket eaton blowers from magnuson and harrop do not use the silencers at all. My TVS does not have them either, and is actually quieter than a regular eaton.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
The engineers at eaton have told me that plugging them or welding them shut is a good idea. They are there to reduce noise, but in the process they bleed off pressure. The aftermarket eaton blowers from magnuson and harrop do not use the silencers at all. My TVS does not have them either, and is actually quieter than a regular eaton.

so it could increase boost ???
not that it's all that much but I swear the Harley Davidson guys told me a gain on 1/2lb is possible with this mod. I learned to do it the first time from the Harley boards... www.NHTOC.com

Users who are viewing this thread