Good gear for open track?

V-Sicks

Established Member
What is a good all around gear for open track racing? I have 3.55's right now but i was wanting a little bit higher gear like 4.10's or 4.30's. Would that be too much gear?

Maynor

Established Member
That is too open ended to answer. What type of track, skill level, transmission, power/powerband, skill level you have all play into for starters. If its your first event, your car is perfect as it is.

Any more details?

racebronco2

Established Member
You need to figure out what speeds your going to be doing on most tracks. Figure what rpm and which gear (4th or 5th ) you want to be topped out before the braking zone. My 4.10's on most tracks around here seems to work out pretty good.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I use the factory 3.55s. But I am have 500rwhp. Most guys I know that are naturally aspirated, with the 4.6s, like the 3.90s and 4.10s.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
just keep in mind the taller rear gears will create more heat in the diff. something to keep in mind if you are already having heat issues back there.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
just keep in mind the taller rear gears will create more heat in the diff. something to keep in mind if you are already having heat issues back there.

For OT he is going to need a diff cooler regardless of gear selection.

It depends on the track you're going to. For most tracks I would say 4:10's would be your best best. If you're going to very high speed tracks, 3:90's might be better.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
One thing not mentioned is that 4.10's is so much easier on your engine and clutch. It rev's faster in all gears, you can maintain your speed in a higher gear easier. I can run almost as fast in 4th as i could before in 3rd and 4th with the 3.55's.

David Hester

Established Member
I roadrace a Fox 5.0 in A/Sedan with a 3.5 9in Ford.
157 in 4th at 7000 if I get 17 right at VIR. Fastest track I've been on in the southeast. That's about fast enough. Car REALLY floats with some serious springs and Koni's.
My car won't go any faster in 5th than it will in 4th, so I don't use it. Matter of fact, I don't use but 3 gears most tracks, anyway.
3.5 still lets 1st be usable for hills in the paddock. Rd Atl comes to mind.

racebronco2

Established Member
I roadrace a Fox 5.0 in A/Sedan with a 3.5 9in Ford.
157 in 4th at 7000 if I get 17 right at VIR. Fastest track I've been on in the southeast. That's about fast enough. Car REALLY floats with some serious springs and Koni's.
My car won't go any faster in 5th than it will in 4th, so I don't use it. Matter of fact, I don't use but 3 gears most tracks, anyway.
3.5 still lets 1st be usable for hills in the paddock. Rd Atl comes to mind.

Sounds like you have perfect gears for the track you visit. The cobra's 5th gear (.80 overdrive) compared to the fox body's 5th gear(.68) is that it doesn't drop the rpms as much between the gears (4200 to 4500). Our cars can still pull 5th even above 150mph. The complaints i have heard is it takes so much time to go thru the gears with the 3.55's compared to the 4.10's. My 5th gears tops out at about 150mph but it goes thru the lower gears so much faster.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
That is too open ended to answer. What type of track, skill level, transmission, power/powerband, skill level you have all play into for starters. If its your first event, your car is perfect as it is.

Any more details?

I agree, if this is your first time, leave it as is until you get a couple under your belt. Then you'll know what you need for your circumstances.
As you can see, there's a few different opinions. That's because of the differences in track/driver/car combinations.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Sounds like you have perfect gears for the track you visit. The cobra's 5th gear (.80 overdrive) compared to the fox body's 5th gear(.68) is that it doesn't drop the rpms as much between the gears (4200 to 4500). Our cars can still pull 5th even above 150mph. The complaints i have heard is it takes so much time to go thru the gears with the 3.55's compared to the 4.10's. My 5th gears tops out at about 150mph but it goes thru the lower gears so much faster.

Carlos,

You have to quantify your statement on 5th gear to be specific to the T56 in the 03/04 Cobras. 5th gear for the T45s and T3650s is 0.67 and will not pull as hard as your .80 ratio'ed 5th.

To the OP,

I say take it to the track as it sits until you learn what you need. With Bluegrass opening up this year right up the road from you, I assume it will most likely become the track you run at the most. Wait until all of the configurations of that track are open and then you can figure out which gear you need best (to suit the track you run at the most).

Kevin

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member
4.10's are a great choice for Mod motors for the most part. A TKO 600RR is a nice addition too! :)

racebronco2

Established Member
Carlos,

You have to quantify your statement on 5th gear to be specific to the T56 in the 03/04 Cobras. 5th gear for the T45s and T3650s is 0.67 and will not pull as hard as your .80 ratio'ed 5th.
Kevin

You're right but his car is also a terminator. Most mustangs cannot pull their 5th with 3.55's. My car's 5th is a .75. I just wish i could keep the .80 with my .50 6th gear. Some cars do pull away a little when i shift into 5th at 120 but i start catching them again at about 145mph.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
You're right but his car is also a terminator. Most mustangs cannot pull their 5th with 3.55's. My car's 5th is a .75. I just wish i could keep the .80 with my .50 6th gear. Some cars do pull away a little when i shift into 5th at 120 but i start catching them again at about 145mph.

Unless I am totally wrong, the car in his sig and in his past posts are of a 99/01 naturally aspirated Cobra with a Cobra R hood.

racebronco2

Established Member
Unless I am totally wrong, the car in his sig and in his past posts are of a 99/01 naturally aspirated Cobra with a Cobra R hood.

I am totally wrong:(. Looking closer at the car in his sig you are right, i thought it was a 03/04 cobra.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member

Not sure I agree with this. My '97 T-45 pulls stronger in 5th than my buddy's '04 Mach's 3650 does. At 75mph he and I are both running about 2800rpms. I have 3.73's and he has 4.10's.

Users who are viewing this thread