Got a ride in modified Shelby GT500

65mph_Roll

Established Member
The guy who owns a local Goodyear dealer is also a Cobra nut, had/has an 03/04 600RWHP all out track car. Just sold me some Kumo’s…

He has a new Shelby with full length headers and some Borla mufflers, all custom made, and extensive engine tuning, courtesy of Ford racing. Somehow they are affiliated. That’s it, no CIA (apparently doesn’t exist yet) and stock boost, just killer exhaust system (no cats) and extensive tuning.

They think it’s making 600HP (crank) now.

Anyway, he took me and my buddy who gave me a ride to the tire store a “ride to the cul-de-sac and back”, which was anything but…

That car feels light, tight, and would waste my (stock, K&N only dyno’ed at 404RWHP at A&A Corvettes) 04 Cobra, period. Torque monster supreme and rock stable at speed. Cornered and braked like it weighed 3,200 lbs., suspension still bone stock.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
65mph_Roll said:
That car feels light, tight, and would waste my (stock, K&N only dyno’ed at 404RWHP at A&A Corvettes) 04 Cobra, period. Torque monster supreme and rock stable at speed. Cornered and braked like it weighed 3,200 lbs., suspension still bone stock.

This is something that people just cannot comprehend until they experience it first hand!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
65mph_Roll said:

are you saying that gt500 with the live axle suspension and new chasis can outhandle the 03/04 mustang svt with irs?

65mph_Roll

Established Member
I'm saying that car felt great. By "wasted" my Cobra I meant acceleration wise mainly after his exhaust and tuning, but the handing was rock solid. Absolutely did not feel like a heavy car.

Stock for stock, the Shelby felt better. All modded, the IRS will have some advantage of course. In fact, he’s going to handle my handling mods.

Not trying to stir up a firestorm: I’m an 04 Cobra owner and so is the guy with the Shelby, just giving credit where credit is due.

Not saying the King is dethroned, just that the rival has gotten some bad press and/or has a bunch of yet untapped potential (remind you of anything? Untapped potential in 03?)

Last edited:

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
+1, GT500 live axle 3950lbs VS Terminator IRS 3650lbs

Every GT500 thread I have read ends up like this. I have to wonder why theres a forum for it instead of just a comment that says "Fat pig- what more do you need to know."

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
+1, GT500 live axle 3950lbs VS Terminator IRS 3650lbs
i like how you added 40# to the shelby w/ shaker 1000 and subtracted 15# from the terminator.

Guys, I had 2 terminators and i have a shelby now. Hands down stock for stock the shelby handles much, much better. The 3 link solid is rock solid. If you don't believe me go take a roush or saleen for a test spin or a GT with some decent rubber.

Braking isn't even in the same league. Acceleration is definitely better in the shelby too.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
are you saying that gt500 with the live axle suspension and new chasis can outhandle the 03/04 mustang svt with irs?
Live axle outperforms Ford IRS on flat surfaces.
I love my IRS. I have 0 wheel hop with Griggs GR-40.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
i like how you added 40# to the shelby w/ shaker 1000 and subtracted 15# from the terminator.

Guys, I had 2 terminators and i have a shelby now. Hands down stock for stock the shelby handles much, much better. The 3 link solid is rock solid. If you don't believe me go take a roush or saleen for a test spin or a GT with some decent rubber.

Braking isn't even in the same league. Acceleration is definitely better in the shelby too.

how bout this:
+1, GT500 live axle 3850lbs VS Terminator IRS 3665lbs

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
CPViolation said:
Live axle outperforms Ford IRS on flat surfaces.
I love my IRS. I have 0 wheel hop with Griggs GR-40.

i took ride in a 01 mustang svt with live axle swap and full gr-40. we took a 35 circular offramp at 90+ mph with zero tire noise. impressed the hell out of me!:D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:

Some things to consider. The IRS in stock form is a VERY compromised unit. Not very efficient whatsoever. SN-95 platform is very flexible. Shorter wheelbase. Three huge strikes against it!

S-197. It's NOT just the axle! :idea: It's the TOTAL package!

LONGER WHEELBASE :read:

IMPROVED SUSPENSION GEOMETRY :bowdown:

STIFFER PLATFORM :rockon:

BIGGER BRAKES :coolman:

EQUALS=heavier car can outhandle lighter car NO PROBLEM!!!!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
thanks for clearing that up bruce. it just amazes me what people will still say. live axle = the car cant turn.

yes i agree that a proper irs will corner better than a proper live axle. but a proper live axle will outcorner a incomplete irs. and with the sn95 mustangs the irs was incomplete because it lacked the proper suspension and chasis geometry.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:
and with the sn95 mustangs the irs was incomplete because it lacked the proper suspension and chasis geometry.

I would say the geometry is not all that bad. It's biggest problem is the IRS subframe is mounted in rubber and the control arms are mounted in rubber. Put a little pressure on them and who knows where the hell they go?!?!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
I would say the geometry is not all that bad. It's biggest problem is the IRS subframe is mounted in rubber and the control arms are mounted in rubber. Put a little pressure on them and who knows where the hell they go?!?!

somethings wrong if it takes 17 pages to fix it.;-) :coolman:

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
somethings wrong if it takes 17 pages to fix it.;-) :coolman:

well said. I cant believe Ford even had the balls to sell the public such a piece of crap. To me that says a lot about the company at te time.
The "handling" on a sn95 GT was not handling. It was dangerous and a accident waiting to happen. Those cars should have never made it past safety testing and on the road.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
JSpeed said:
well said. I cant believe Ford even had the balls to sell the public such a piece of crap. To me that says a lot about the company at te time.
The "handling" on a sn95 GT was not handling. It was dangerous and a accident waiting to happen. Those cars should have never made it past safety testing and on the road.

your post is a joke! there are a hundred types of cars on the road today(manufactured in the last ten years) that handle worse than the mustang sn95.

your post is false and a outright lie! and it should be deleted.:idea:

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
65mph_Roll said:
The guy who owns a local Goodyear dealer is also a Cobra nut, had/has an 03/04 600RWHP all out track car. Just sold me some Kumo’s…

He has a new Shelby with full length headers and some Borla mufflers, all custom made, and extensive engine tuning, courtesy of Ford racing. Somehow they are affiliated. That’s it, no CIA (apparently doesn’t exist yet) and stock boost, just killer exhaust system (no cats) and extensive tuning.

They think it’s making 600HP (crank) now.

Anyway, he took me and my buddy who gave me a ride to the tire store a “ride to the cul-de-sac and back”, which was anything but…

It's freaking sittin on a Lincoln LS chassis, of course it's gonna ride and handle well and also feel rock stable at speed...

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
dgussin1 said:

Is the braking in the Shelby better or worse??

Users who are viewing this thread