Got a ride in modified Shelby GT500

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
C5_z51_6spd said:
It's freaking sittin on a Lincoln LS chassis, of course it's gonna ride and handle well and also feel rock stable at speed...

no its not. it is sitting on a modified mazda platform. the mustang is built in a mazda plant.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:
somethings wrong if it takes 17 pages to fix it.;-) :coolman:

I had it fixed in one post. It just took 17 pages of discussion before it sank in! :poke:

JSpeed said:
well said. I cant believe Ford even had the balls to sell the public such a piece of crap. To me that says a lot about the company at te time.
The "handling" on a sn95 GT was not handling. It was dangerous and a accident waiting to happen. Those cars should have never made it past safety testing and on the road.

I guess it could be interpreted like that if you don't know how to drive? ;-) :-D

wildosvt04

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
no its not. it is sitting on a modified mazda platform. the mustang is built in a mazda plant.

IT IS NOT! A Mazda platform!

It is actually called D2C (S197 when applied to the Mustang) and it was derived from the DEW-lite (T-Bird)

Ever wonder where the dual gas tanks came from? Bingo.

I have both cars (GT500 and 04 Snake) right now. Guess which one has been sitting. The Shelby put the 04 on the shelf.

Funny thing is, I was'nt able to drive the Shelby prior to picking it up (well I did the day before purchasing) and had no idea what to expect. It about takes your breath away. I will say this however. The hydroboost will be missed!!!

2003 Silver

Banned
I have heard the GT-500's are quite nose heavy in relation to the 03-04's.....assuming that is a bad thing??

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
1268Melberger said:
I have heard the GT-500's are quite nose heavy in relation to the 03-04's.....assuming that is a bad thing??

A Shelby is no more nose heavy than a Term for the reasons listed above! :read:

2003 Silver

Banned
ac427cobra said:
A Shelby is no more nose heavy than a Term for the reasons listed above! :read:

I don't want to read. Multiple people I know locally who have driven them say they ARE nose heavy...due to the 5.4. The nose dives under breaking as well. They did say it handles very well otherwise.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
dgussin1 said:
1000000x better, but I still may step up to a 2 piece 15" rotor with 6 or 8 piston calipers.

Sorry folks, Dave is exaggerating again! ;-) :poke: :-D

The brakes are not a million times better! More like, only 100,000 times better! :lol:

:pepper: :rockon: :bowdown:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Sorry folks, Dave is exaggerating again! ;-) :poke: :-D

The brakes are not a million times better! More like, only 100,000 times better! :lol:

:pepper: :rockon: :bowdown:
oh, yeah I exagerated a bit. :pepper: Maybe it's only 10,000x better. lol

The point is, when you step on the slow down pedal in the shelby, you better have your seat belt fastened.

chuckstang

Established Member
2 questions-is money of no object to you? and don't you think 2 piece 15" rotors would be over kill for a street car? sorry if its none of my business but Id rather have you spend your money on a kb or something :-D

dgussin1 said:
1000000x better, but I still may step up to a 2 piece 15" rotor with 6 or 8 piston calipers.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
chuckstang said:
2 questions-is money of no object to you?
first answer. what I do with my money is none of yours or anybody else's business.

and don't you think 2 piece 15" rotors would be over kill for a street car?
if I did this it would be far down the road, and no, it's not overkill. There are plenty of cars that come standard with 15" or larger rotors. Hell, I just read that the bugatti has 15.8" front rotors and 15" rear's.

sorry if its none of my business but Id rather have you spend your money on a kb or something :-D
I will do that when the time is right.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
wildosvt04 said:
IT IS NOT! A Mazda platform!

It is actually called D2C (S197 when applied to the Mustang) and it was derived from the DEW-lite (T-Bird)

no it is not. :bash:

The D2C (for "D-class 2-door coupe" and also known as DC2 and S197) is Ford's newest global rear-wheel drive automobile platform. It was designed by Ford with Mazda's C1 platform technology and debuted in the 2005 Ford Mustang.

again it is a based off of a mazda c1 platform. :beer:

Contrary to many news reports, the D2C Mustang platform is not based on the Ford DEW platform. The 2005 S197 Mustang was originally designed to use a "Lite" version of the DEW98, but that plan was eventually scrapped as too expensive.

01svtL

Established Member
Yea, my dad had both for a few weeks (03 coupe and 07 shelby). He just sold the Terminator. Both he and I agree the shelby isn't even in the same league as the Terminator, not a single part of it. I love the Terminator and still want one, but the Shelby is much more car, especially when he paid sticker!

wildosvt04

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
no it is not. :bash:

again it is a based off of a mazda c1 platform. :beer:

I know this is older news, But I feel its worthy of a recap.

Which C1 comes with a solid rear drive axle?? (Hint C1 is FWD) I wont contest that the front suspension is worked over C1.

Wikipedia is editable by anyone, So its contents are not always 100%. Just thought you may want to know that. :nonono:

"This page was last modified 04:24, 25 September 2006" :dw:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Gee guys...check out this video taken from a Shelby (who's GT500 was that now???....hmmm) as the IRS/MM/KB-equipped '01 Cobra goes flying by at Road America. Scroll up to minute 4... that black New Edge kinda just disappears in the distance after awhile. Not so bad for an IRS-equipped Cobra...assuming an awesome driver at the wheel of course.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9bb117b7-910b-4bf0-b1f4-986c01693540.htm

Sorry, ac...I couldn't resist.

Given equal horse-power and equal chassis a proper IRS will always be superior to a stick-axle... in the "real world". Yeah, it'll cost more too. S-197 is a great platform with an optimized solid rear... good show Ford. Good handling for a good price, but it could be improved if you want to pay for it.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
CobraRed01 said:
Gee guys...check out this video taken from a Shelby (who's GT500 was that now???....hmmm) as the IRS/MM/KB-equipped '01 Cobra goes flying by at Road America. Scroll up to minute 4... that black New Edge kinda just disappears in the distance after awhile. Not so bad for an IRS-equipped Cobra...assuming an awesome driver at the wheel of course.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9bb117b7-910b-4bf0-b1f4-986c01693540.htm

Sorry, ac...I couldn't resist.

Given equal horse-power and equal chassis a proper IRS will always be superior to a stick-axle... in the "real world". Yeah, it'll cost more too. S-197 is a great platform with an optimized solid rear... good show Ford. Good handling for a good price, but it could be improved if you want to pay for it.

You know what? I'm not going to take anything away from Clay's driving, because he has come a long way in a short amount of time! Mainly because he is such an awesome student. :read:

But let me tell you one thing, suspension is WAY (and I would like to stress the word WAY here!) more important than power! :idea:

When you have a properly set up suspension (and what I'm talking about here is coil-overs, ride height, non-factory/non-compliant control arm bushings, spring rates and shocks/struts spec'd out for the spring rates, properly bump steered for efficiency, not safety) you then will have a vehicle that is no longer on the factory stock suspension. (like my GT500 was!) That is way more important than you can even imagine it is!? Getting your car through the corner is much more important than blasting down the straightaway. And unless you have first hand knowledge (personal tracking experience) of what I'm talking about here, you're going to find that somewhat hard to comprehend!

We do let off the gas when we allow someone to pass. And if you've ever heard the Nascar boys talk about how crucial it is to NEVER lift you'll realize how important momentum is when entering/exiting a corner! :read:

So take what you see in the videos with a grain of salt. If you don't, you're going to have a hard time explaining how I passed that C6-Z06?!? :pop:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Fourcam330

Established Member
1268Melberger said:
I don't want to read. Multiple people I know locally who have driven them say they ARE nose heavy...due to the 5.4. The nose dives under breaking as well. They did say it handles very well otherwise.

Realistically an iron block 5.4 isn't much heavier than an iron block 4.6, especially with both wearing Al heads and a positive displacement blower and associated hardware.
LOL fwiw, I just smoked two ricers in the Jeep, drove around them both while they were racing...Why can't I find a decent race in this thing?

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
ON D BIT said:

I do not want to disagree but, the GT500 is built in the Ford plant. They send the cars to the Mazda plant for exterior stripes and finishing. The last thing that goes in the car is the vents in the hood. All that takes place at the Mazda plant. The cars are then shipped from the Mazda plant.

Last edited:

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
the shelby is just a better car in general. i dont know how anyone can dispute that. i think anyone would take one of each though.

Users who are viewing this thread