Got new tires

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Man.. I wish I would have done this when I first bought the car.. Thank you to everyone for the input that was given to me in the other thread.. I wound up with the 285/35 20 Toyo R888 .. I did this because I just didn't want to go outside of the recommended size.. wanted to keep the speedo accurate and mileage..

What a difference.. this thing flat out goes now.. sticks no problem.. I enjoyed driving it today.. and that is something I kind of did.. but now really do.. I will enjoy this for a while and see where I go from here with other mods..

I have the liberty of mounting the tires myself at my shop so I took all the time I wanted to make sure not to scratch anything .. anyways.. these are great tires and I highly recommend them !! Here are just a few pics..

IMG_2608_zpshv7ot0hb.jpg

IMG_2610_zpsgupffnf3.jpg

IMG_2609_zpspanmdzpa.jpg

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Man.. I wish I would have done this when I first bought the car.. Thank you to everyone for the input that was given to me in the other thread.. I wound up with the 285/35 20 Toyo R888 .. I did this because I just didn't want to go outside of the recommended size.. wanted to keep the speedo accurate and mileage..

What a difference.. this thing flat out goes now.. sticks no problem.. I enjoyed driving it today.. and that is something I kind of did.. but now really do.. I will enjoy this for a while and see where I go from here with other mods..

I have the liberty of mounting the tires myself at my shop so I took all the time I wanted to make sure not to scratch anything .. anyways.. these are great tires and I highly recommend them !! Here are just a few pics..

IMG_2608_zpshv7ot0hb.jpg

IMG_2610_zpsgupffnf3.jpg

IMG_2609_zpspanmdzpa.jpg

good, another believer. Got these tires on 2 different cars, lovem

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
I just kept the factory goodyears.. I couldn't find a suitable tire to replace it.. I don't know that I should be too concerned with the front other than looks.. but it looks fine.. I think on a car like this it is fairly common and accepted.. unless you're just concerned about the performance of the tire.. I wouldn't change them..

I'm getting these in the future. What size would I get on the front stock wheel size.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice choice--people think these or drag radials re unsafe--I think they make it more safe by giving traction!
-J

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Nice choice--people think these or drag radials re unsafe--I think they make it more safe by giving traction!
-J

Absolutely.. I can't imagine driving this car without this type of tire ever again... To have that much power and it not be put to the ground it completely unsafe to me.. In fact it is the reason I wouldn't drive it.. Getting sideways around corners.. Fishtails at the slightest acceleration.. These tires correct all of it and on top of it are OE size.. Big win in my book..

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I just kept the factory goodyears.. I couldn't find a suitable tire to replace it.. I don't know that I should be too concerned with the front other than looks.. but it looks fine.. I think on a car like this it is fairly common and accepted.. unless you're just concerned about the performance of the tire.. I wouldn't change them..

Does toyo make a tire in the correct size for the front

Breitling

Established Member
Congrats on your new tires. Glad you're happy with the stickiness of them.

Questions: How is the side wall strength? How do the tires handle in corners compared to the GYs? Thanks.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Does toyo make a tire in the correct size for the front

No.. they don't.. I would have gotten them.. and there are limited options in the correct factory size.. so I just stuck with what I had for now..

Congrats on your new tires. Glad you're happy with the stickiness of them.

Questions: How is the side wall strength? How do the tires handle in corners compared to the GYs? Thanks.

Sidewalls from just mounting them seem to be somewhat stiff.. I drove it a bit yesterday and gave a bit of throttle in a few turns and felt very safe and planted.. I haven't been really around any kind of corners at real speed yet.. like a highway ramp.. After driving them the contact area @ the factory recommended 35 it seems you are cheating yourself out of some contact area.. so I am going to reduce pressure a bit.. to about 30 and see what the contact patch looks like from there..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
I just want to add something about the tires.. going the 285 on the factory wheel I feel is actually just as good as the 305.. the 285 is designed in a way that it is much wider in the contact area.. so that I feel if you were to actually look at the 2 and were able to measure you would find that the contact area is the same .. because yes you can put a wider tire on but it starts to change the shape of the tire.. and squeeze it.. essentially making the wider tire actually more narrow.. if you look at the tire you can see the step at the top of the tire.. adding tread..

I will be driving more on them because I like driving it now and I will continue to give my feelings as I think I run into situations that needs to be reviewed..

railroad

Established Member
I have read nothing but, good stuff on these tires. The only negative was road noise. Most owners accepted it for the performance it provides. I would like to hear your take on the increase in road noise, when you get them on the ground.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
I have read nothing but, good stuff on these tires. The only negative was road noise. Most owners accepted it for the performance it provides. I would like to hear your take on the increase in road noise, when you get them on the ground.

I have been driving the car since yesterday .. and I have not noticed any increased noise.. they are new and that could change with time.. but that was a big fear of mine as well.. I read a lot of people complaining of noise.. but to me its marginal.. I got it on the highway today and it is great.. and man.. the launches. are awesome!! My car is stock and it sticks the power with zero issue.. I used to hate red lights in this car.. now I kind of hope for them.. ha ha..

One thing I think it helps out with is the clutch.. I think I was really hard on it trying to feather the pedals to take of like a normal person instead of at every light looking like a dousche and peeling out like I just am insane.. I think with the 3:31 gears it is a good improvement.. because of the fact that you have to try and be so careful on accelerations.. you can be a bit more aggressive with the throttle .. I don't know if I am explaining this in a way that makes sense.. but I really recommend these tires.. in my opinion.. this is probably the most important must do mod..

I also have to say.. I will never drive this car in the rain.. so I will never have an opinion of that situation..

I just know over the past two days all I want to do is drive this car where as in the last 2 years it has sat and collected dust.. and it is completely because of the tires..

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I also have to say.. I will never drive this car in the rain.. so I will never have an opinion of that situation..

I just know over the past two days all I want to do is drive this car where as in the last 2 years it has sat and collected dust.. and it is completely because of the tires..

This is where you needed to be and the more you drive it the more confidence you will get. I can't stop driving my car and the miles are piling up. The only downside is the increased likely hood of speeding tickets. Also, don't be so worried about rain. I've been caught in gully washers and it was no problem, I just drove like a half blind grandma and it was all good. These cars may look great sitting in the garage, but they look good and feel even better pulling through the gears. Third gear pulls to >6500 rpm are extremely addictive.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
This is where you needed to be and the more you drive it the more confidence you will get. I can't stop driving my car and the miles are piling up. The only downside is the increased likely hood of speeding tickets. Also, don't be so worried about rain. I've been caught in gully washers and it was no problem, I just drove like a half blind grandma and it was all good. These cars may look great sitting in the garage, but they look good and feel even better pulling through the gears. Third gear pulls to >6500 rpm are extremely addictive.

Yeah.. I know the ticket feeling all too well.. I got a ticket and told the officer .. "You drive this thing and keep it at the limit!" he smiled a bit but made sure to give me the citation.. lucky he caught me when he did.. 90 in a 70.. I was going much.. much faster.. racing and beating someone from Cars and Coffee.. ha ha...

I am excited to drive it now.. and look forward to really trying to see what it has..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
When I get these tires in the back what should I replace the fronts with if I want new?

Michelin makes a Super Sport in the correct size.. Toyo does not.. I don't know what the better choice is on front.. I haven't had a issue with the OE tires in the front.. so I stuck with those for now

Gr8shelby

Established Member
Tires are a GREAT mod, you may want to try the 3:73 gears. Try to drive someones car with the gears and DRs, if you decide to change the gears make sure you find someone that knows how to do it correctly so you don't get the "whine".

Users who are viewing this thread