Got Nitto 305/35/20 for the rears, Discount tire is saying it is to wide for the rim

paluka21

Established Member
You guys do what you want. I've seen enough deaths over the years to convince me that engineers know more than I, and they have my best interests in heart concerning tire/rim size recommendations. There's a difference between pushing the envelope and being fool-hardy. Rationalization is not in my vocabulary when it comes to the safety of myself, my family, friends, and other drivers. Make light of my caution if you feel compelled to. I'm more concerned about the original poster's safety then a few millimeters of tire width.

I can certainly understand your concern. What I will say is that I've never heard of a failure with running this size tire on a stock 9.5" rim, and I've personally done a lot of searching the internet. Has a failure ever happened? Sure. But, I would say that the chances are very slim due to the .5" difference in recommendation. In addition, Nitto tires historically run slightly narrow.

paluka21

Established Member
Per Nitto's website, the approved rim for the NT555R 305/35/R20 is from 10.0" to 12.0". Our rims are listed as 9.5" rims...not sure about the 10.5" spec that Draiter described above regarding the bead seat. Anyone have any more info on this?

The stock rims measure 10.5" across, but they are 9.5" rims. The proper way to measure a rim is from inside the lip where the bead is contacting the tire, hence the reason these cars are spec'ed at 9.5" rims.

03reptile

Established Member
There are rarely catastrophic failures with, say, putting a 305/35X20 on our stock rims. The issue is when you do this you actually reduce the amount of usable tread on the ground when putting too wide a number on. That defeats the whole reason for increasing traction with more tread on the surface of the road. A narrow rim with a larger tread contact patch will actually bow the tread, lifting the outside edges and thereby reducing usable tire tread. It's kind like robbing from Peter to pay Paul!

paluka21

Established Member
There are rarely catastrophic failures with, say, putting a 305/35X20 on our stock rims. The issue is when you do this you actually reduce the amount of usable tread on the ground when putting too wide a number on. That defeats the whole reason for increasing traction with more tread on the surface of the road. A narrow rim with a larger tread contact patch will actually bow the tread, lifting the outside edges and thereby reducing usable tire tread. It's kind like robbing from Peter to pay Paul!

I can definitely see that. If Nitto offered a stock size 285/35 or a even 295/35 in the 555R, I would have went with that, but did not want to throw a more narrow 275/40 series tire on the car, which is the only other option.
In the future, I will most likely replace my stock wheels for something in the aftermarket, and will at the very least have a set of 305's which will fit a 10-11" rim.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
Tire compound, tire height, and total amount of sidewall are typically more important than width when it comes to traction with these types of tires. Loosing a few mm of contact patch because its on a slightly narrower wheel is virtually inconsequential. In my experience, the 555R is an amazing tire for our cars and is a good mix of dry and wet traction, tread life, and handling (for a drag radial). Its currently one of the most well rounded tires we can run IMO.

If Nitto offered a few more sizes than we wouldn't have to argue about it. But I would say even though people would hesitate to run the 275/40, it is a taller tire and probably grips just as well if not better than the 305. However, it is 28.82" tall so I dont think I would run it on the stock 3.31 gears.

I will add, I think it is pathetic that the Discount manager tried to offer you the NT01 to replace the 555R. The NT01 is a road course tire with very stiff sidewalls and they are horrible in the rain. Talk about apples and oranges...

Last edited:

smokin03

Established Member
Thanks for all the input. Discount is treating me right I will say that. They are basically offering me any tire that is the official correct size for my rims. I decided to try the Toyo Proxes R888 285/35/20. I will post next week after I get them on. It seemed like a reasonable compromise.

paluka21

Established Member
Thanks for all the input. Discount is treating me right I will say that. They are basically offering me any tire that is the official correct size for my rims. I decided to try the Toyo Proxes R888 285/35/20. I will post next week after I get them on. It seemed like a reasonable compromise.

They are good tires as well.

Ablaze

Established Member
Post some pictures of the R888s once they're on in relation to the fronts if you can.

fearthesnake

Established Member
If they are offering any tire then have them pony up for the Michelins. I thought Michelins had the best reviews for these cars.

Matt in Houston

Established Member
If they are offering any tire then have them pony up for the Michelins. I thought Michelins had the best reviews for these cars.

The Michelin Super Sports wont grip anything like the R888's or 555R's...Much different compound. They are very good tires though and last a long time, but for 600+ whp it just doesn't cut it. They are another decent choice as an all-arounder, but just not as grippy.

Personally I would stick with the 555R's, but if the OP is concerned then the R888's are also an excellent tire...just much stiffer sidewalls, better for cornering.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If they wouldn't budge on the 555Rs then I think you made the next best choice with the R888s
-J

- - - Updated - - -

If they wouldn't budge on the 555Rs then I think you made the next best choice with the R888s
-J

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Why does everyone keep saying the R888's are a good option to the 555r's? The Nitto is a drag radial and the Toyo is a road course/autocross tire. Two different design purposes completely.

Matt in Houston

Established Member
I think it's because there isn't much out there that is as sticky and streetable as those two tires. Streetable as in dry/wet traction, tread life, and overall street manors. Both of those tires excell in these departments.

The 555R is not a hardcore drag radial and the R888 isn't really a hardcore track tire. But they are both excellent tires and very grippy. Between these two - If you like going fast primarily in straight line, take the 555R. If you like going fast and hitting the corners, R888.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Our rims are listed as 9.5" rims...not sure about the 10.5" spec that Draiter described above regarding the bead seat. Anyone have any more info on this?
With all due respect to Draiter, his understanding of rim width is incorrect.

The stock rims measure 10.5" across, but they are 9.5" rims. The proper way to measure a rim is from inside the lip where the bead is contacting the tire, hence the reason these cars are spec'ed at 9.5" rims.
+1. This is spot-on.

Last edited:

Ablaze

Established Member
Great looking ride, love the glass roof (best option on mine as well). Those tires look like they belong there.

paluka21

Established Member
OP- would you mind grabbing a picture from the rear of the car to show the tread?
Btw, car looks really good.

Users who are viewing this thread