Got Scammed! Need Legal Advice And Any Information On This Guy!

SVT GI

Established Member
I’m coming up on 18 years of Active Duty. I am too trusting of others and it seems that it bit me this time. I have a lot that can affect my career if I go about this the wrong way, but my childhood juvenile delinquencies want to bubble up and take over lol. I don’t screw around when there is $100 at stake, much less $15K ! Any officers in Stuart, PT Saint Lucie, FL area to help me out?

His Name: Spencer Edward Leon

Number: 772-323-6232 (probably changed by now)

Address: Only gives a PO Box and 803 SE Central PKWY # 13, Stuart FL. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t live there anymore. I have an address that I know for a fact I’ve seen him and the truck I bought there but don’t want him to know I know. I say this because he refuses to give me an address and seems to move around a lot.

Relatives: Eduardo Leon (Father) and Ernesto Leon (uncle)

History: I found a 2001 Black Lightning, 70K miles, 2FTZF07361CB06128 on Auto Trader on 12 March (80 miles from me in Stuart, FL). We spoke on the phone and texted back and forth for a couple days. We went over the truck’s history and condition. We agreed on a final price of $15,000. Then he tells me there is a small ding on the hood from where a wrench fell on it and his uncle is a paint and body guy at a local dealership and will fix it before I take delivery of the truck. I get a bank draft check from my credit union made out to myself and him. I was going out of town for a few days so we made arrangements to meet at his bank on 17 March because we both needed to sign the check. We both signed the check and deposited it into his account, then we’re told his bank is putting a hold on the draft until 28 March! He gave me no reason to be suspicious, so we agreed that he would hold onto the truck until the funds cleared. In the meantime I made 3 or 4 arrangements to meet up with him to sign a Bill of Sale. Every time it was a last min text saying he wasn’t available. This is with me scheduling time off to drive the 80 miles to meet him, I never asked him to go out of his way.

After asking numerous times if the dent was repaired, he told me yes 4 times, then when we were scheduled to meet up he would say that his uncle did not fix the dent yet. So 28 March is finally approaching and he agrees to meet up so I can pick up the truck..YAY!...Not so much. The morning of the 28th, we spoke on the phone and had it all planned out, he asked what time I would be leaving to head his way and I said 16:30 (sorry, military habit). I F’n knew it was too good to be true and KNEW that something was going to come up. At 1600 he texts and says the funds were still not released (BS) and then quickly says his uncle has still not finished the repair and some BS story of how his uncle wants him to pay for the repair, and oh BTW…He spent $1800 of my $15K for taxes and Title because he bought the truck 2 years ago and never titled it in his name nor paid sales tax.

29 March, I have no truck and he has my money. He says that this deal just wasn’t meant to be and wants to give me my money back, OK fine, I’ll meet you at your bank and get a cashier’s check. He asked for my address 2 or 3 times saying he will just mail my check back to me. I say for one, that’s not possible, my bank has already paid the check I gave you. For two, no way in hell am I taking a personal check. He says well I get paid on Apr 6th and you’ll have your money back then…WTF!! That’s not how this works! Every time we get close to a date that he gives me to either meet up or finish the deal, something ALWAYS comes up and another excuse is given and the date keeps getting pushed back. As of now we are supposed to meet up 2 Apr, I bet it doesn’t happen. I also predict I don’t get my money on the 6th.

So as of today (31 March)

-
He has not replied or answered his phone in 2 days.

-
I drove 80 miles to Martin County Sheriff’s Department and filed a Fraud Crime report (not to confident anything is going to get resolved soon).

-
I have no truck and don’t have my $15K back.

-
I did some scouting and found him and the truck but he did not stop anywhere public, only at the one address I don’t want him to know that I know.

-
I know he has a suspended license

-
Never got the tag # on the truck but he did tell me that it was from another one of his cars

- He refuses to give me the truck or whats left of my $15K (something is better than nothing)

Questions: I have a copy of the signed bank draft with our signatures, the draft is attached to a “Promissory Note” that has the trucks VIN on it. What can I do with this? Seems to me the truck should be mine.

ANY other info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
show up with a sherrifs deputy. you should not have given him the money without getting the truck and title. you might also look into filing a small claims court case against him depending on what the florida limit is.

Last edited:

SVT GI

Established Member
show up with a sherrifs deputy. you should not have given him the money without getting the truck and title. you might also look into filing a small claims court case against him depending on what the florida limit is.

I know I shouldn't of given him the money without the truck but sellers have the right to hold onto it until the check is cleared. That's why we agreed to this. I will not be so trusting in the future....noted

Taking an officer with me as a "keeping the piece" presence is already my next step. Unfortunately, they tell me they can't make him do anything. Seems kind of messed up when I have all the proof that he has my money and I have no truck.

Damn OP, hope it works out for you bro.. Keep us posted

Thanks.

BTW, he has texted me today so I guess he hasn't changed his number. This is why it is so difficult for me to understand. He swears up and down he's not going to rip me off but to me, he already has. I have no truck. He says he doesn't want to lose money on the deal and the money that is left is all he has for a replacement vehicle. NOT MY PROBLEM! I tell him. So he wants to wait until he gets paid on the 6th to give me my money back. I'm not understanding the concept here.

I opened an account at his same bank so that he can just transfer my money to me. He says fine, whats your account number. I haven't given it to him because Im not so sure he is going to do it. I called the bank today and a member can transfer money to another member over the phone 24/7 through the automated service. I made it so simple for him, even giving him the 1-800 number. No reply, no ok let's do this, nothing.

Why would someone still keep in contact, even though vague and very little contact and keep pushing dates back? He gets upset when I mention fraud, scam, thief lol etc.. And then is appologetic for the "inconvienence" he has caused? Or is "sorry that I feel that way"?

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Scam and a thief. You can also try your hands in small claims court.

Moral of the story...NEVER let someone keep a vehicle after you pay for it and only pay for it if they have the title in hand. Don't trust anyone.

If the bank wants to hold the check, make their asses contact your bank right then and there and approve the funds.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Moral of the story...NEVER let someone keep a vehicle after you pay for it and only pay for it if they have the title in hand. Don't trust anyone.

If the bank wants to hold the check, make their asses contact your bank right then and there and approve the funds.

The total amount is well beyond the limit of small claims court.

OP, you might want to contact your lender since the check was made out to both of you and they are out their collateral. They might assist you.

WHSTLR

TRAKDAY
Established Member

OP, you might want to contact your lender since the check was made out to both of you and they are out their collateral. They might assist you.

THIS^. Definitely the route I would go. Let the Lender use their high dollar lawyer to handle this guy.

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
What a nightmare...hada similar situation, after 10k legal fees and 5 years in and out of court I finally won......... I have yet to see a penny. My best advise, go to guys house NOW get what u can... Take his ass to his bank and verify funds cleared.. What I'm not clear on is, did you even get as much as a bill of sale?

jrd699

Established Member
Small claims process may never pay off, even if u do win. The longer he has your money, the more of it will disappear

jrd699

Established Member
I had to go to supreme court,as will you for this amount. I am guessing this guy doesn't work, collects ssi, or under the table in any case u will never see a penny. Can't garnish fixed income.. Take bill of sale and report stolen..... ASAP explaining the situation to the officer... Maybe fear of cops will get him to relinquish truck... As for being stealth, if he has a friend here...... He now knows you have all of his info! DO THIS NOW, DO NOT WAIT

SVT GI

Established Member

I tried my ass off to get them to call my bank, they refused. "It's our policy". After the fact, I should of just left with my check.

I did this too, no assistance. They say well we paid the funds and gave me a copy of the check that had both of our signatures. And yeah, I have to continue to make payments! Navy Federal BTW.

My last advise...... STOP ASKING THIS GUY.... START TELLING HIM..

Oh I get down right nasty telling him, then he ignores any further contact until it benefits him. Then he agrees to a time and place to meet and wouldn't you know it...something comes up on his end. Work, family issue, something.

I'm just going to show up with a cop.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Without a bill of sale or signed title the truck is not yours. Bill of sale should have been completed at time of money exchange. Without that you really have nothing besides a verbal agreement. get a copy of any messages or emails sent between you two and hope there is enough to prove your side. I'm pretty sure your lender is not going to be very excited about your now unsecured loan...

jrd699

Established Member
So he has money,truck, title, and you have copy of bank check, and no bill of sale... Right? Please tell me you have something more then copy of bank check

oldmodman

Established Member
Unfortunately, this is just going to be a very expensive lesson.

The police will not help you. You will just be told that it is a civil matter and to get an attorney.

You will be lucky if the police even contact the scammer to find out his side of the story.

But keep trying, maybe your outcome will be better than all the others that have gone through the same hell.

jrd699

Established Member
Unfortunately, this is just going to be a very expensive lesson.

The police will not help you. You will just be told that it is a civil matter and to get an attorney.

You will be lucky if the police even contact the scammer to find out his side of the story.

But keep trying, maybe your outcome will be better than all the others that have gone through the same hell.

What he said.... I learned this the hard way :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread