Got ticket then left stranded by KHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
sorry to bust anyone's bubble, but all the fancy electrical equpiment in a police vehicle is protected by fuses and relays. Giving a jump to a civilian will not harm that in any way.
Power being outputed to another battery will def not do any harm. Might experience a very very minor drop in voltage if you are running everything in the car, but not enough to damage anything. But for the leo to just drive away? Sounds abit rude IMO. Atleast call someone for the stranded driver.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
By calling *47 you could have had another trooper there within minutes to either jump start you, if he had the proper equipment, or radio a tow for you once you realized you were going to be there for a bit.

Also, after telling the trooper that your brother would come for you who is 45 miles away, did you really expect the officer to sit there for 45 minutes because you chose your own help? He gave you options, you declined, which tells him that his services are no longer needed, and he left. That was your decision.

I dont know where you got the idea from that I told the trooper that my brother would come to help me and that he'd have to wait 45 minutes but youre absolutely incorrect. The conversation all happened over maybe 30 seconds, I was still assessing the situation as I watched the trooper drive off.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I wasnt worried about the situation while the trooper was sitting there and vehicles were observing the State Law in Kansas that requires vehicles to merge left or slow down for stopped Highway or Law Enforcement vehicles.

Once he drove off vehicles and tractor trailers quit merging over. One 18 wheeler that was merging onto I-35 South went by was less than 2 feet from my driverside door. My whole truck shook as it went by. Thats when I became worried about our safety and realized the danger of the situation.

Dont think I didnt call for help. I did call for help, the truck stop that was 2 miles away, said it would be 30 minutes. 2 miles away and it would take them 30 minutes to get there! By then my brother was maybe 30 minutes away himself.

Why not call *47 and get another Trooper there? To cap, the Trooper pulled you over for a legitimate reason and gave you a summons. You caused your truck not to restart. The Trooper offered two solutions including calling a tow truck and *47, you declined both. Both you and the Trooper felt there was not a danger when he left. So, how is this the Trooper's problem?

99COBRA2881 said:
Even if the Trooper had called for help and then left the situation wouldve been no different. We still wouldve gotten out of the vehicle for fear that it was going to be sideswiped and we would be hurt badly in the accident.

Okay. And you weren't hit and you are both safe. The situation changed after the Trooper left, so how do you claim that he didnt offer you help? He offered two different forms of help.

99COBRA2881 said:
Yes youre right, that's why the first thing I did when calling for a tow truck was to get out my State Farm Insurance card to verify that I have roadside assistance coverage, which infact I do have. It wouldnt have cost me a dime to have a tow truck come out! I went with the route that I felt would get us out of the situation the fastest.

Okay. So how you blame the Trooper? You said he didnt offer help, yet by your own admission he did. He just didnt give you what you wanted at that moment. You never expressed to him that you thought you were in danger.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
sorry to bust anyone's bubble, but all the fancy electrical equpiment in a police vehicle is protected by fuses and relays. Giving a jump to a civilian will not harm that in any way.
Power being outputed to another battery will def not do any harm. Might experience a very very minor drop in voltage if you are running everything in the car, but not enough to damage anything. But for the leo to just drive away? Sounds abit rude IMO. Atleast call someone for the stranded driver.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but batteries can and do explode when being jumped. Also, department policies differ but in general they dont allow for performing roadside mechanical service.

Also, the Trooper offered two alternatives that the OP declined. He wasnt stranded. He was two miles from a truck stop and he had a cell phone and was informed that a tow truck could be called for him right then or he could call *47.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
At the end of the day, you were speeding. The detention was legit.

You own a defective vehicle that failed to start - your problem.

By policy; most agencies choose not to jump start stranded motorists. Sorry, deal with it.

The officer extended an offer for assistance - you refused.

So what is the problem here?

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
The problem, from my perspective, is that the officer should have stayed given the fact that it was a moonless & overcast night (very dark) and he left a black truck with no functional hazards sit in a very precarious spot. Now, all of you disagree with us and that is expected. However, of all the people posting in this thread, only two saw where the vehicle was left sitting. What you guys can't seem to grasp is that regardless of whether the op called *47, a tow truck, me, or the man in the moon, there was going to be a significant delay between when the call was made and when help arrived. With no regard for this, the trooper left. FWIW, one of the specified duties of a KS trooper as listed on the main page of their website, is motorist assistance. The trooper dropped the ball on this one.

STG

Banned
It's against the rules to flame SVTP vendors, but once in a while one self-immolates.:burn:

Pretty cool. It's like watching a semi rear end a vehicle stalled on a highway on a moonless night.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
The problem, from my perspective, is that the officer should have stayed given the fact that it was a moonless & overcast night (very dark) and he left a black truck with no functional hazards sit in a very precarious spot. Now, all of you disagree with us and that is expected. However, of all the people posting in this thread, only two saw where the vehicle was left sitting. What you guys can't seem to grasp is that regardless of whether the op called *47, a tow truck, me, or the man in the moon, there was going to be a significant delay between when the call was made and when help arrived. With no regard for this, the trooper left. FWIW, one of the specified duties of a KS trooper as listed on the main page of their website, is motorist assistance. The trooper dropped the ball on this one.

And you are incorrect - there were three who saw where the vehicle was left sitting. We have not heard from the officer; only two witnesses with self-serving motives.

Case law exists supporting motorists who were physically moved by an officer to an unsafe location and subsequently fell victim to foul play.

In your case you are attempting to hold the officer liable for a mechanical defect beyond his control. He provided options; one of you chose to refuse them.

The officer is in the clear - the liability vicariously shifted to the original poster the moment he refused assistance.

Stop whining; suck it up and move on. :burnout:

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
OP I have to agree with Adam that you left out an important part of your conversation with the Trooper. If he offered to call a tow truck you should have taken him up on the offer. He obviously thought you didn't require his assistance any longer therefore he left. He can't read your mind and if you declined for him to call you a towtruck he may have though you lived nearby, had someone that could come help quickly, etc.

Our agency SOP is that if you call a tow for someone and it's in a dangerous area you will wait with your overheads on until the towtruck arrives. The only deviation from this is an emergency call, etc. I have no idea how KHP typically handles this.

It's your responsibility to realize you are in a dangerous situation and take action to remedy it. Could the Trooper have been more helpful? Probably. Was he in the wrong for what he did? No. It sucks you had to wait in the rain but it sounds like you took the right steps to be safe about it by getting out of the vehicle and getting on the other side of the guardrail.

Last edited:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Hmm, well IMO the officer should have stayed. I know what the other guys are saying about he offered to call a tow truck and it was refused, however even if the truck had been called he could have stayed (given there wasn't another emergency) until the truck showed up. Nowadays your never safe, and if someone see's you broke down, its a perfect opportuity for an attack.

We had a bolt come off our A-arm on our Z06 and the car became immobile, in a semi bad part of town. We were off the road but just barely, and we had a LEO stop and he stayed and bs'd with us until the tow truck showed up. Im still very grateful for that, if I could have remembered his name I would have called or sent a letter to the police station to thank him.

Lol and another quick story. A friend once went almost 2 years without paying his registration and got pulled over. They towed his Jeep and seriously left him stranded, he had to walk across town to get home (about 5-7 miles) at night. No way that should happen, that was ridiculous. If your going to take my car at least give me a ride.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
And you are incorrect - there were three who saw where the vehicle was left sitting. We have not heard from the officer; only two witnesses with self-serving motives.

Case law exists supporting motorists who were physically moved by an officer to an unsafe location and subsequently fell victim to foul play.

In your case you are attempting to hold the officer liable for a mechanical defect beyond his control. He provided options; one of you chose to refuse them.

The officer is in the clear - the liability vicariously shifted to the original poster the moment he refused assistance.

Stop whining; suck it up and move on. :burnout:

I am incorrect? I think if you try reading instead of blindly defending, you'll find that isn't the case. There were FOUR people who saw where it was left. But only TWO of the posters in this thread are included in that group which was the point I made. No one is trying to hold the officer liable for anything other than making an irresponsible move. And btw, why can't you guys respond to a direct point of contention? How many times do I have to make the point that, regardless of the source of assistance, he shouldn't have left until help arrived because he left them in a bad way? As I said before, I was specifically looking for them and even then had a hard time seeing them on the roadside. All of you keep spinning it into something it isn't.

If it's fair for you to tell us to "stop whining; suck it up and move on" then I assume it's fair for me to tell you to quit blindly defending a cop just because he's a cop and address the issue which is that he irresponsibly left them in a dangerous situation.

Last edited:

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
Lol and another quick story. A friend once went almost 2 years without paying his registration and got pulled over. They towed his Jeep and seriously left him stranded, he had to walk across town to get home (about 5-7 miles) at night. No way that should happen, that was ridiculous. If your going to take my car at least give me a ride.

Sorry.... but I had a friend seriously injured in the line of duty doing this scenario exactly. Suspended registration and no insurance so he towed the guys car.... he was nice and said sorry that's the law.... but I will drive you up the street to a phone so you can call a taxi. while inside the vehicle he viciously attacked my friend using a set of keys in his hand like a set of brass knuckles. My friend almost lost an eye and still bears the scars of the attack.

From that day on.... NOBODY ever rode in my cruiser after a stop.

You guys are wanting to say the Trooper was wrong for leaving... but OP was given options..... none of which he chose.... instead he called his brother 45 minutes away.

If after the Trooper left.... you feared for your life.... then *47 and a request for a Trooper to return to your location would have been in order - OP failed to do that.

Side note.... if an Officer or Trooper babysat every stranded motorist till the tow truck got there..... how much work do you think would get done in a shift.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I am incorrect? I think if you try reading instead of blindly defending, you'll find that isn't the case. There were FOUR people who saw where it was left. But only TWO of the posters in this thread are included in that group which was the point I made. No one is trying to hold the officer liable for anything other than making an irresponsible move. And btw, why can't you guys respond to a direct point of contention? How many times do I have to make the point that, regardless of the source of assistance, he shouldn't have left until help arrived because he left them in a bad way? As I said before, I was specifically looking for them and even then had a hard time seeing them on the roadside. All of you keep spinning it into something it isn't.

If it's fair for you to tell us to "stop whining; suck it up and move on" then I assume it's fair for me to tell you to quit blindly defending a cop just because he's a cop and address the issue which is that he irresponsibly left them in a dangerous situation.

Why do you feel the officer's decision was irresponsible? Let's put the burden where it belongs. Why is it anyone's responsibility but your brothers to figure out how he will get his defective car off the side of the road? As I explained, the officer has no legal or moral obligation to wait around until you get your car moving again. If your brother is truly worried about his safety; he should do a better job of maintaining his car. :shrug:

FordSVTFan

Established Member

You keep refering to "blind defense" of the trooper. That is clearly not the case. Your brother provided enough information with his clarifying post that the officer did his job. The officer wrote the summons, offered to call a tow truck and gave him the *47 number for further help once the officer left the scene. We are simply stating fact based on the information your brother provided and our training, education, and experience.

To say that the Trooper should have known your brother would change his mind regarding there seriousness of his situation is simply unfounded.

At the time the Trooper left the scene he had offered help to your brother. Your brother declined that help. He also did not ask the officer to stay as he did not think he was in any situation requiring further assistance other than wanting to be jump started.

The only "blindness" here is in your devotion to your brother. While there is nothing wrong with supporting him you are biased. His initial post was clearly misleading and a lie by omission. He got called on not telling the entire story, which he didnt, and then got further called out when he admitted the Trooper offered the help your brother claimed was not offered. Now you two change the meaning of the story to continue to place blame on the Trooper.

ByeOfficer

Fast cop in FL
Established Member
It's not his job...but with that said i would have called a tow over and waited with my lights on just to make sure nothing happened. :)

:beer:Same here. Also, to much electrical equipment in the car so Gen. Order says we don't "jump" civilian vehicles due to hurting our own stuff.

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
It's very possible for something to go wrong with a car even if it is properly maintained. Things do break unexpectedly.

Cops sticking up for cops who are in the wrong increases the head count in internal affairs. Based on the economic conditions, that's a plus! :lol1:

Quik Z06

Established Member
. If your brother is truly worried about his safety; he should do a better job of maintaining his car. :shrug:

Sorry but it had nothing to do with maintaining his car. He left his lights and flashers on as a courtesy to the officer (which is why his battery drained) Im sure if he had known it was going to kill his battery he would have turned them off. I like to do the same as well as a courtesy, but may not the next time.

Last edited:

exdeath

Established Member
Sorry.... but I had a friend seriously injured in the line of duty doing this scenario exactly. Suspended registration and no insurance so he towed the guys car.... he was nice and said sorry that's the law.... but I will drive you up the street to a phone so you can call a taxi. while inside the vehicle he viciously attacked my friend using a set of keys in his hand like a set of brass knuckles. My friend almost lost an eye and still bears the scars of the attack.

This. If I just ruined someones day with a ticket, I'd be nervous hanging around by myself in the dark on the side of the highway "helping"; perfect setup for revenge, etc.

Though even if you were just helping, wouldn't you always make passengers ride in the back, even if they aren't in custody?

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Sorry but it had nothing to do with maintaining his car. He left his lights and flashers on as a courtesy to the officer (which is why his battery drained) Im sure if he had known it was going to kill his battery he would have turned them off. I like to do the same as well as a courtesy, but may not the next time.

In reality we prefer you turn your lights off. :beer:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
It's very possible for something to go wrong with a car even if it is properly maintained. Things do break unexpectedly.

Cops sticking up for cops who are in the wrong increases the head count in internal affairs. Based on the economic conditions, that's a plus! :lol1:

Once again - you are assuming the officer is "in the wrong" despite the fact numerous LEO's here have clearly explained the reality of the situation.

You are but another example of an ill-informed motorist supporting another ill-informed motorist.

Too bad there isn't a civilian version of Internal Affairs. Now that would really would pump up the economy!! :poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread