Got ticket then left stranded by KHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Common

Established Member
Few sue happy idiots made L.E. reconsider their helpful ways. Most are only doing what they HAVE to and what is in "the book" these days.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
better question why where you driving 85 MPH in the rain anyways? That doesnt seem to safe to me :shrug:

ok-popo

Established Member
It's not his job...but with that said i would have called a tow over and waited with my lights on just to make sure nothing happened. :)

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
There's something missing or wrong in this story. What the officer did according to the OP doesn't make sense. So, it's probably not true.

Here's what I think... After being asked for a jump start, The officer explained that he can't for whatever reason, then asked the OP to call *47 for the service truck. The OP likely replied with something like, "no thanks, I'll just call my brother he doesn't live far".

In any investigation when something doesn't "add up" or make sense. It's usually because you're missing information, or the information given is inaccurate.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
There's something missing or wrong in this story. What the officer did according to the OP doesn't make sense. So, it's probably not true.

Here's what I think... After being asked for a jump start, The officer explained that he can't for whatever reason, then asked the OP to call *47 for the service truck. The OP likely replied with something like, "no thanks, I'll just call my brother he doesn't live far".

In any investigation when something doesn't "add up" or make sense. It's usually because you're missing information, or the information given is inaccurate.

He never explained anything to me just said "No, I dont have any, I can call you a tow truck" I then politely said "I dont need a tow truck, I just need a jump start" The officer then said "Call *47 for help got in back in his cruiser and drove off." I will state again that *47 is the number for the Highway Patrol not for Emergency Roadside assistance.

My brother does not live closeby. He was 45 miles away and lives in the same town as I do.

The point of my question was "Was it right that he just left us there in a potentially dangerous situation?"

What I am not here for is to be put on trial by you guys.

If there is one thing that I have, it is the integrity to tell the truth in a forum of Officers where I'm asking a question about a situation that happened to me.

And to the poster that said I shouldnt have been driving 85 in the rain, I was doing 83 when the unposted speed limit on I70 is 80 MPH!!! Unless you are running over 75 mph then you arent even moving with traffic, most semis run 70+ mph. The Patrolman also paced me on a downgrade where my speed had increased. As for the rain it was spotty and wasnt raining then, it did start raining on us after we had been standing along the highway for about 15 minutes of our hour long wait for help.

BM1

Established Member
The Patrolman couldve EASILY radioed dispatch for help but I guess it was easier to just act like it wasnt any of his problem and leave us sitting there!

So because one trooper drove off after issuing your earned summons, you decided that it would be fruitless to call KHP dispatch and ask for help? It is more likely that they would have sent a tow truck and not another trooper.

WHY couldnt the trooper have done THAT!!!!!

He never explained anything to me just said "No, I dont have any, I can call you a tow truck" I then politely said "I dont need a tow truck, I just need a jump start" The officer then said "Call *47 for help got in back in his cruiser and drove off."

Do you not listen? He offered to radio in for a tow truck (which would have jumper cables), but you decided to turn it down. That's your own problem at that point. Try not speeding and maybe you won't have these troubles.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
i would have stopped, and given your wife a ride, but you'd have to stay there buddy!!

PS--sorry about your bad day.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
He never explained anything to me just said "No, I dont have any, I can call you a tow truck" I then politely said "I dont need a tow truck, I just need a jump start" The officer then said "Call *47 for help got in back in his cruiser and drove off." I will state again that *47 is the number for the Highway Patrol not for Emergency Roadside assistance.

So now the real story comes out. He offered to call a tow truck!!! You never mentioned that in your initial post. If all you wanted was a jump start why decline the tow truck? A tow truck could jump start your vehicle. Now you bitch and moan that he didnt offer to help. He didnt have jumper cables and offered to call a tow truck. What more did you expect him to do? :rolleyes:

99COBRA2881 said:
If there is one thing that I have, it is the integrity to tell the truth in a forum of Officers where I'm asking a question about a situation that happened to me.

But you conveniently left out the part where the trooper offered to call a tow truck. That is called lying by omission.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I'm always amused by the responses in this forum. I'm sure it comes as a result of the job, the accompanying generalized lack of respect, and constantly having your motives challenged when you're only doing said job. However, the blind defense of leo's gets quite ridiculous. I'm the brother who came to give him a jump start & no, I do not live close by. I was 45 miles away & still at work at ~8pm when he called me for help. They were sitting just past the end of the merge lane where two of the most heavily traveled interstates in kansas intersect. There was a guard rail immediately to their right at the side of the highway which didn't allow them enough room to pull safely away from the flow of traffic. By the time I arrived, it was raining and I had a hard time discerning his black truck sitting on the roadside even though I was specifically looking for him. Regardless of your defense of this LEO's actions, he was in the wrong to leave them there given the location and situation. The citation & following conversation are completely irrelevant & have no bearing on the fact the officer left them in a very dangerous situation. I understand the liability and fact that he could not offer a jump-start. I don't think my brother is arguing that fact either. It is the fact that, as a poster mentioned earlier, the leo should have stayed with them with at least his rear hazards illuminated until help arrived (regardless of the source) but chose not to. By doing so, he exposed them to grave risk from passing inattentive traffic.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Regardless of your defense of this LEO's actions, he was in the wrong to leave them there given the location and situation. The citation & following conversation are completely irrelevant & have no bearing on the fact the officer left them in a very dangerous situation. I understand the liability and fact that he could not offer a jump-start.

You have an interesting perspective, sort of like you didnt read the thread. There are numerous people, including other L.E.O.s, that said they would have done more. That was also before your brother decided to post the entire conversation with the Trooper, specifically that the trooper offered your brother help. Your brother declined. There was nothing more to do.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
The trooper offered your brother help. Your brother declined. There was nothing more to do.

That isn't the point, as I've already stated. He offered to call for help which had to happen either way. The point is that he left them in a dangerous situation and, if he couldn't offer assistance, he should have stayed until help arrived because it was a matter of safety at that point.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
That isn't the point, as I've already stated. He offered to call for help which had to happen either way. The point is that he left them in a dangerous situation and, if he couldn't offer assistance, he should have stayed until help arrived because it was a matter of safety at that point.

While you dont want that to be the point, it is a major part of this thread. Obviously the trooper didnt consider it a dangerous situation. Additionally, had your brother thought it was such a dangerous situation he would have something other than "I dont need a tow truck, I need a jump start." He could have said: "Officer I am concerned about this situation and I would appreciate it if you would stay here with your lights on until my brother gets here." But he didnt do that either and the Trooper wasnt psychic.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
While you dont want that to be the point, it is a major part of this thread. Obviously the trooper didnt consider it a dangerous situation. Additionally, had your brother thought it was such a dangerous situation he would have something other than "I dont need a tow truck, I need a jump start." He could have said: "Officer I am concerned about this situation and I would appreciate it if you would stay here with your lights on until my brother gets here." But he didnt do that either and the Trooper wasnt psychic.

Adam, as always, you support the actions of the leo. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Adam, as always, you support the actions of the leo. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

As usual, yes, not always. However there is no reason not to support him. Your brother was traveling at an excessive rate of speed. He got stopped for it and ticketed. He decided to turn off his vehicle and leave his electrical system to get drained. He came here and said the officer didnt help. That was his point in posting. Yet he didnt give all the information in his initial post. The officer didnt have jumper cables. The officer offered to call a tow truck that could jump start his vehicle. Your brother declined and said he didnt want a tow truck he wanted a jump start, had he allowed the tow truck to come he would have gotten jump started. The officer also gave him another option, which was to call *47, however your brother decided that they couldnt help him. I am getting the feeling he didnt want to have to pay for someone to come help him. Everyone evaluates situations differently. The officer obviously thought your brother was okay since he declined the help offered. Your brother obviously wasnt too concerned with his own safety as he didnt bother to ask the officer to stay until help arrived nor did he call *47 for another Trooper who could have stayed there until help arrived had he felt he was in danger.

Please explain how my understanding is not accurate.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member

I wasnt worried about the situation while the trooper was sitting there and vehicles were observing the State Law in Kansas that requires vehicles to merge left or slow down for stopped Highway or Law Enforcement vehicles.

Once he drove off vehicles and tractor trailers quit merging over. One 18 wheeler that was merging onto I-35 South went by was less than 2 feet from my driverside door. My whole truck shook as it went by. Thats when I became worried about our safety and realized the danger of the situation.

Dont think I didnt call for help. I did call for help, the truck stop that was 2 miles away, said it would be 30 minutes. 2 miles away and it would take them 30 minutes to get there! By then my brother was maybe 30 minutes away himself.

Even if the Trooper had called for help and then left the situation wouldve been no different. We still wouldve gotten out of the vehicle for fear that it was going to be sideswiped and we would be hurt badly in the accident.

I am getting the feeling he didnt want to have to pay for someone to come help him.

Yes youre right, that's why the first thing I did when calling for a tow truck was to get out my State Farm Insurance card to verify that I have roadside assistance coverage, which infact I do have. It wouldnt have cost me a dime to have a tow truck come out! I went with the route that I felt would get us out of the situation the fastest.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
By calling *47 you could have had another trooper there within minutes to either jump start you, if he had the proper equipment, or radio a tow for you once you realized you were going to be there for a bit.

Also, after telling the trooper that your brother would come for you who is 45 miles away, did you really expect the officer to sit there for 45 minutes because you chose your own help? He gave you options, you declined, which tells him that his services are no longer needed, and he left. That was your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread