Got ticket then left stranded by KHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
This. If I just ruined someones day with a ticket, I'd be nervous hanging around by myself in the dark on the side of the highway "helping"; perfect setup for revenge, etc.

Though even if you were just helping, wouldn't you always make passengers ride in the back, even if they aren't in custody?

MOST Cruisers do not have transport cages in them.... in fact my department transports prisoners in the front seat.

Since he was not under arrest the passenger was given an officer safety pat down for weapons and the guys demeanor was very calm.... until he flipped out.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
*removed by moderator - you dont get to decide who posts on SVTP. You best slow your roll and read the rules.*

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
MOST Cruisers do not have transport cages in them.... in fact my department transports prisoners in the front seat.

Since he was not under arrest the passenger was given an officer safety pat down for weapons and the guys demeanor was very calm.... until he flipped out.

I am somewhat shocked that most of your curisers don't have transport cages. Is it a very small department? IMO that is really, really dangerous. Do you have a designated transport vehicle that transports your prisoners? I don't think my department even has a patrol vehicle without a cage. It is also against department policy to transport anyone in the front seat. Sorry to hear about that story though, it's a shame that happened.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
For prisoners we use leg restraints with a hook to the bottom of the door.

For 80% of the arrests we had a wagon.... or a cage car... but when there wasn't one around...... we were able to transport in the front... but only with leg restraint.

Problem was.... the guy wasn't under arrest..... so no restraints.... so much for being a nice guy and helping out.

Quik Z06

Established Member
^ I totally understand what your saying, and yes that was unfortunate. That being said if a LEO might be hesitant to help out because the fear of someone attacking them, how is someone supposed to feel on the side of the road with an inoperable vehicle in complete darkness?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
^ I totally understand what your saying, and yes that was unfortunate. That being said if a LEO might be hesitant to help out because the fear of someone attacking them, how is someone supposed to feel on the side of the road with an inoperable vehicle in complete darkness?

That person does not have to worry about the L.E.O. attacking them or even them attacking themselves.

As has been pointed out numerous times, L.E.O.s are not trained to read minds, if a driver feels that their safety is at risk they need to speak up and let the L.E.O. know so it can be addressed. But if the driver chooses not to ask for assistance to protect their safety, the officer has no reason to believe they aren't secure in their environment.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
*removed by moderator - flaming, derogatory comments, and/or flippant remarks about L.E.O.s is not permitted. Read the rules before posting again.*

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
Once again - you are assuming the officer is "in the wrong" despite the fact numerous LEO's here have clearly explained the reality of the situation.

You are but another example of an ill-informed motorist supporting another ill-informed motorist.

Too bad there isn't a civilian version of Internal Affairs. Now that would really would pump up the economy!! :poke:

I'm not assuming anything. I've read the story, and I've drawn my own conclusion based on what was written.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
I'm always amused by the responses in this forum. I'm sure it comes as a result of the job, the accompanying generalized lack of respect, and constantly having your motives challenged when you're only doing said job. However, the blind defense of leo's gets quite ridiculous. I'm the brother who came to give him a jump start & no, I do not live close by. I was 45 miles away & still at work at ~8pm when he called me for help. They were sitting just past the end of the merge lane where two of the most heavily traveled interstates in kansas intersect. There was a guard rail immediately to their right at the side of the highway which didn't allow them enough room to pull safely away from the flow of traffic. By the time I arrived, it was raining and I had a hard time discerning his black truck sitting on the roadside even though I was specifically looking for him. Regardless of your defense of this LEO's actions, he was in the wrong to leave them there given the location and situation. The citation & following conversation are completely irrelevant & have no bearing on the fact the officer left them in a very dangerous situation. I understand the liability and fact that he could not offer a jump-start. I don't think my brother is arguing that fact either. It is the fact that, as a poster mentioned earlier, the leo should have stayed with them with at least his rear hazards illuminated until help arrived (regardless of the source) but chose not to. By doing so, he exposed them to grave risk from passing inattentive traffic.

great response, while some of the rest of these are just outright ridiculous! (im sure us "normal civilians" can figure out which ones:nonono:)

To the OP, you're just wasting your time on this forum (Donut shop) but im glad everything worked out and nothing bad happend to you and your wife

Quik Z06

Established Member
That person does not have to worry about the L.E.O. attacking them or even them attacking themselves.

As has been pointed out numerous times, L.E.O.s are not trained to read minds, if a driver feels that their safety is at risk they need to speak up and let the L.E.O. know so it can be addressed. But if the driver chooses not to ask for assistance to protect their safety, the officer has no reason to believe they aren't secure in their environment.

Lol, I didn't say the LEO attacking them. What I was saying is if the LEO is worried about getting attacked by someone he just pulled over (while taking them for a ride to safety or sitting waiting for help to arrive) then how is a person supposed to feel when after being pulled over, the officer just leaves you stranded on the side of the road. I know he offered to call a truck, which is great, but the whole question is why didn't he stay. Ok yeah he cant read mind's but it's obvious they are stranded, why not wait for someone to arrive before leaving.

Lol, this question is just going to go round and round, so really no need to answer it, I was just telling you what I meant :beer:

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Thats really sucks that he left you like that starnded...
What if you or your wife would have been robbed or killed?
From what Iam hearing the LEO in here is implying thats ok that he left and it would not be a waste of gas or resourses to have another person come and help you..
Does that sound right to you ?
Cause it sounds insane to me but I wont say anything further since I have ALREADY BEEN GIVEN A INFRACTION. lamo!
It is what is man , sometimes you get no mercy from them ....
Hopefully I havent pissed anyone off again!

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Lol, I didn't say the LEO attacking them. What I was saying is if the LEO is worried about getting attacked by someone he just pulled over (while taking them for a ride to safety or sitting waiting for help to arrive) then how is a person supposed to feel when after being pulled over, the officer just leaves you stranded on the side of the road. I know he offered to call a truck, which is great, but the whole question is why didn't he stay. Ok yeah he cant read mind's but it's obvious they are stranded, why not wait for someone to arrive before leaving.

Lol, this question is just going to go round and round, so really no need to answer it, I was just telling you what I meant :beer:

It is like a merry go round. :beer:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member

I would bet on a good day this situation repeats itself hundreds of times throughout the state. Our SOP (as well most LE agencies) for all unlicensed or suspended license drivers was to cite them and tow their vehicle. We never offered a ride, never moved them to a new location nor did we offer them the use of the phone or other manner of communicating their plight. If the primary driver were female, we would transport them to the PD where they could use a phone to call for assistance. That's been the policy for many, many years now and there is no pressure that I am aware of from the public, legislators or the courts to change that practice. It's the added incentive to get a license and keep it. :shrug: I also can't count how many times I arrested the driver of a car, then towed it leaving all of his/her passengers to fend for themselves. :shrug: That's just the way it is and always has been.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
sorry to bust anyone's bubble, but all the fancy electrical equpiment in a police vehicle is protected by fuses and relays. Giving a jump to a civilian will not harm that in any way.
QUOTE]

You want to back that statement up by paying for all the equipment that I have repaired or replaced as a result of a jumpstart that for what ever the reason went wrong?

Damage to either the patrol vehicle or the POV is the reason the policy was instated. We didn't just pull it out of our ass because we can't be bothered to assist the motorist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread