Grease for BMR poly bushings?

5lho

Established Member
Hold horses...many poly bushings made today are claimed petro grease safe. The energy ones in my UMI lowers are. You might want to ask BMR what they use.

I like silicone brake grease for the faces upon install but, I have used regular dino grease without problems over many years on a couple different cars with poly installed.

Torchy

Established Member
Hold horses...many poly bushings made today are claimed petro grease safe. The energy ones in my UMI lowers are. You might want to ask BMR what they use.

Just make sure it's SYNTHETIC.

Popular choices are:

-Mobil 1 Synthetic
-"Green" Grease (good stuff)
-Super Lube (we sell, and recommend this)
-Amsoil
-Redline

UnleashedBeast on here, sent me some Amsoil EP Grease a while back, and we have been testing it on our parts, as well as my personal parts on my car.

It works good, really good, and tends to prevent push AND wash out really well.

AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, NLGI #2

Yes, a "normal" petroleum based grease is not good on any poly bushing. It will permeate, soften the bushing, and either promote cracking or crumbling.

Question answered:)

And thanks UB! Now I'm going to return the grease and gun I just bought and buy some AMSoil grease. Can you recommend me a gun? Maybe with a link? Gun I just bought doesn't have a flexable end. Thats what I get for going to vato zone.

FiveSlow

Established Member
Damn well that's good to know. Didn't sat they needed anything, I was just going to bolt on.

5lho

Established Member
the biggest mistake people make with grease is too much and they hydraulic the bushings out , crack or split them. I think 4 pumps, especially up front, is too much.

80KM2E

Established Member
I got mine installed in shop and they are greased already. I have driven maybe 1000 miles since and now I'm starting to hear squeaks. I picked up a hand pump and a 14 Oz Amsoil grease.. Wondering how much I should pump into my LCA now?

nyuk98GT

Established Member
80KM2E:

Just give each Zerk one pump and call it good. As mentioned earlier, too much grease will plump up the bushing and cause it to split.

HTH,

Chris

Last edited:

red13

Established Member
I installed mine with BMR grease. I pre-lubed mine a few pumps before I torqued them to spec. I have over 6K miles since then. No squeaks 4K miles were in Oregon with rain and cold west coast. Now Im in AZ roughly 2K miles and no squeaks. I re-torqued them at 500 miles to make sure they were set. I don't think you can really destroy parts with pre-loading them with grease. Just use common (LOL) sense. I will be squeezing some fresh grease in them tomorrow. Just playing it safe. I would rather waste grease then ruin my BMR products.

CJ

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just make sure it's SYNTHETIC.

Popular choices are:

-Mobil 1 Synthetic
-"Green" Grease (good stuff)
-Super Lube (we sell, and recommend this)
-Amsoil
-Redline

UnleashedBeast on here, sent me some Amsoil EP Grease a while back, and we have been testing it on our parts, as well as my personal parts on my car.

It works good, really good, and tends to prevent push AND wash out really well.

AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Truck, Chassis and Equipment Grease, NLGI #2

Yes, a "normal" petroleum based grease is not good on any poly bushing. It will permeate, soften the bushing, and either promote cracking or crumbling.

This Amsoil product is a "grease it and forget it" product. You will likely never have to grease it again. If you do, it's going to be a very long time. The fittings are also very quiet. No sqeaks, rattles, etc.

07 White Lightn

If I used a lithium based grease to install some BMR parts with polyurethane bushings. For the parts to go in the brackets easier. Should I remove the parts and wipe them clean. Did use Mobil synthetic to grease after the install.

SchlickNick

Established Member
I just pulled the trigger on some BMR pieces with poly bushings. After the initial grease/install, how often do they need to be re-greased, generally speaking? Is there a way to tell when they need it, or do you just wait until they start getting noisy?

5lho

Established Member
I just pulled the trigger on some BMR pieces with poly bushings. After the initial grease/install, how often do they need to be re-greased, generally speaking? Is there a way to tell when they need it, or do you just wait until they start getting noisy?

I use a synthetic marine grease because it's extremely soggy where I live so, bushings and greases take a beating, plus I drag race as much as the weather permits. I find the little packages of Energy suspension grease often supplied with suspension bits can be a little too tacky and attract and retain road grit.

I found that I'd need to look at them maybe once a year, even in this extreme environment, even with the thinner marine grease. I am always careful not to over grease them and pop them like party balloons. Once you start feeling resistance to the pump, STOP. It's not bad advice to occasionally take the arm out, clean and regrease the faces of the bushing if you are in a soggy or sandy environment.

BMR Tech 2

If I used a lithium based grease to install some BMR parts with polyurethane bushings. For the parts to go in the brackets easier. Should I remove the parts and wipe them clean. Did use Mobil synthetic to grease after the install.

If you just used it on the face of the bushing, I wouldn't worry about it. The flutes in the bushing channel grease to the face of the bushing, so it will get pushed out by the Mobil 1.

I usually recommend 2-3 pumps after installation, then another 1-2 pumps about 500 miles. After that, 1-2 pumps every 10k miles or so. You can go longer with better greases.

BMR Tech 2

I installed these on my car a couple of years ago. I only drive the car like 1000 miles a year. That being said, I thought they were pre-greased and never greased them up! Are they ruined or will I maybe need new bushings?

Without seeing the bushings it's hard to say. The heat and friction from not having any grease can be really tough on bushings. If they're not making any noise, they may be fine. I would put a few pumps of grease in them and let it ride. If you're really concerned, then remove the arm and inspect the bushings and sleeves for play.

noldevin

Established Member
I'm not sure what grease was used during install. Is it a bad idea to try to push it out with something I know is good? Maybe just a few pumps here and there to start the process? Or would mixing be a bad idea?
I've had everything on for about 15k miles now.

Users who are viewing this thread