Grip

Tophertoph13

Established Member
I am new ish to this website. my dad is on here and i thought id try it out. I recently bought an 06 mustang gt with a kenne bell stage one supercharger on it. Supposedly 500hp but i have not had the time or know how to actually figure it out. I do have a question about grip though. Since the car is putting so much power to the ground, is there any known ways to better my grip as im accelerating? i have 20 inch low pros with i believe 9 wide in the front and 10 in the back. any advice is much appreciated.

oldmodman

Established Member
Will you me trying to run the car on a drag strip for something other than just fun?

Tou might want to go with a dedicated drag slick on a separate set of wheels. Hoosier and Mickey Thompson both make some very sticky tires.

They are useless on the street. The lifespan would be measured in days and God help you if it even drizzles slightly.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
ditch the shitty 20's and go with a set of 18x9/18x10's and 255/45R18 and 285/40R18's with the 285's being an NT555R drag radial. Also check out some adjustable strange rear shocks.

Tophertoph13

Established Member
I already plan on getting 18/9 and 18/10s put on, but I have to wait a while. I already have nittos, I believe they are nt555s or something of the sort, I am not near my car right now. But I have never heard of adjustable strange shocks before and I will have to look into that.

Tophertoph13

Established Member
ditch the shitty 20's and go with a set of 18x9/18x10's and 255/45R18 and 285/40R18's with the 285's being an NT555R drag radial. Also check out some adjustable strange rear shocks.

So since i have nittos right now, and have a friend who also had nittos and couldnt catch any grip, i decided with mickey thompson drag radials. My friend got some and i have heard good about them. Now i plan on doing the back 285s but can i use street comp tires on the front? or would it be fine to do street comp all the way around but stagger it? and if i use drag radials for the back, what do i use for the front? the street comps? or something else? all advice is welcome.

jpplaw

Established Member
Mickey T drag radials in the rain are just plain dangerous. Be careful, in the wet they will break loose with no warning whatsoever. But for hot and dry conditions on the street, there is nothing better. The street comps will be good for the rear but nowhere near as much grip as drag radials. Use anything you want for the front

Last edited:

Tophertoph13

Established Member
Mickey T drag radials in the rain are just plain dangerous. Be careful, in the wet they will break loose with no warning whatsoever. But for hot and dry conditions on the street, there is nothing better. The street comps will be good for the rear but nowhere near as much grip as drag radials. Use anything you want for the front

Thank you, I cant decide if i want all street comps or front street comps and rear drag radials. Whenever i happen to upgrade (which doesnt look soon) i will let you guys know how they are and what i chose

Rem152

Established Member
Not to get off topic, but I have the same setup as you running 20x10 in the rear and 20x9.5 in the front. I just had my car retuned from 498 that it put down back to a tune where im pushing 440 the reasoning from the tuner and from what I gathered from this site was that 500 to the rear is pushing the threshold for the 3v and will likely blow the bottom end at some point. Now I could be wrong and maybe someone could correct me.

Tophertoph13

Established Member
Not to get off topic, but I have the same setup as you running 20x10 in the rear and 20x9.5 in the front. I just had my car retuned from 498 that it put down back to a tune where im pushing 440 the reasoning from the tuner and from what I gathered from this site was that 500 to the rear is pushing the threshold for the 3v and will likely blow the bottom end at some point. Now I could be wrong and maybe someone could correct me.

From what I've heard a stock unbuilt engine for the s197s is good for about 500 hp, no more or you are more likely to damage it. I also have a lot of my dads friends with mustangs and they would tell me if they thought I was going to damage it, but you could be right, good keeping an eye out.

Users who are viewing this thread