From Steve @ mass-air.com

"OK,

We expect to begin shipping tomorrow (Thursday)..........but as explained
earlier, we can only do about 8 a day in addition to our current package
volume, and we are not shipping these in any particular order, so it may be
2-3 weeks before all are shipped and all arrive, so please ask you members
not to call us unless they have not received their packages in 3 weeks...we
will get them all out as soon as we can.............."

Lastly, the following people need to contact Steve via the 1-800 number or by e-mail ( [email protected] ):

David Allen
Cecilio Garza
Robert Friscia

Thanks-

John

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
Hey all,

I got my hood shocks today in the old US mail. I do live in Georgia so the delivery time is shorter. I need a few quiet hours to install them now.

SVT_SNK

Edit : Installed now! Her are the pics

EngineandHood.jpg

Hoodopen1.jpg

upperBracket1.jpg

upperBracket2.jpg

LowerBracket.jpg

SVT_SNK

Last edited:

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
I had to drill two holes into the fiberglass per side. You also have to make a pilot hole in the side of the hood to place the nuts on the bolts. No sheet metal screws in FiberGlass!. I plan to add two more hole in the upper bracket. As you face the hood, the left bracket (in my opinion) needed to be drilled different that the right bracket due to the hood being physically different. The bottom brackets required two holes each side as well.

I used a dremel for the side pilot holes.

SVT_SNK

coleman

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT_SNK
...No sheet metal screws in FiberGlass!.
I used a dremel for the side pilot holes.
SVT_SNK

What screws are sent with the kit?
And what side pilot hole?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
what's up with the cords?

they weren't in the pics that were posted at the start of this GP....

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
I got mine today. There are no cords. That must be for a bra or something.

Mine is half way on, time to do the hood next.

How'd you hold the nut for the hood screws? They say tape it to a screwdriver. With my luck it'll still fall in the hood.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
What screws are sent with the kit?
And what side pilot hole?

All the screws come with.

Might as well take the whole hood liner off, it'll be much easier. Do the liner mod while you are at it. :)

The side holes are needed to put the nuts on from the backside. He meant you can't use sheetmetal screws in the fiberglass. I plan to make the holes round on mine, then put the liner back on once I redo my vent mod to be bigger.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The only way I can think of is the use some type of inserts, like the guy did with his home brew posted a while back. Or use a toggle bolt type anchor. I plan on using the liner, so it doesn't bother me. Ford recalled my 94 Cobra's hood and drilled a bunch of holes to squirt extra glue into. So two aren't so bad to me.

SVT_SNK

C.C.P.D.
Established Member
PLEASE READ ----- PLEASE READ ---- PLEASE READ

I would have posted earlier, but I have been re-installing my upper brackets.....I put them on inverted, i.e. the flange side in my pics shows it going away from the hood, which is WRONG. The directions show it two different ways if you ask me, could have been more clear. Anyway, the only reason I found this out, was when I was washing my car, and I could tell by feeling the hood and fender, the hood was higher, only a 1/8 or 3/16. I then looked and could see very minute scratches on the upper bracket and the fender rail, where they met upon closure. Lucky the holes matched up when I flipped it over.

94SVT Coupe: --- As far as what I used to hold onto the nuts.....I have a telescoping round magnet, to reach bolt, nuts, that fall into hard to reach spaces. It is a very small but powerful magnet.

JB: --- The cords are for my Bra, please disregard them. Sorry for the confussion.

I did take off the whole hood liner...I masked of the word COBRA and painted it to match my color. I also have done the liner MOD.

Coleman: --- I thought about a way w/o more holes, but I think it is an absolute requirement. I plan to round them out an plug it with a rubber insert.

94SVT Coupe: --- THE PROP IS GONE.... :bash:

SVT_SNK

hardhit99

Established Member
Wow, i really don't like the idea of having to cut out a section of the hood. That would be especially bad for someone who chose not to have a hood liner.

That is the reason i like Red Line Tuning's kit much better. The upper brackets are smaller, and they are riveted into the hood which has proved to work very well on my car and provides for a cleaner and easier install.

My hood prop install link.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54962

Last edited:

hardhit99

Established Member
Originally posted by a94cobra
Who says we can't take this kit and use rivets instead.

I am sure you could if you wanted to. I also like the smaller bracket included with the other kit.

Joe D

Established Member
There are threaded inserts that install like pop rivets. You can get a kit at most larger hardware stores. It has a rivet piece (like the pin part of a pop rivet), that has threads on it, and the rivet part is threaded on the inside. You thread the rivet part onto the pin, pop it into your pop rivet tool, and after pulling it tight, you let the pin part out of the tool, and unscrew the pin. This leaves a threaded insert in whatever you pop it into. This is probably what I'll do on my install as well as paint the brackets the same as the car so they don't stand out so much.

HTHs

Joe

coleman

Established Member
Joe D, that sounds cool. I guess Home Depot would have them, right?
please post a pic and/or part# when you have some time!

Users who are viewing this thread