GT 500 weight reduction

wildosvt04

Established Member
chuckstang said:
ya why did ford go with 2 piece driveshaft? any reason?
and I heard dgussin has had problems with his one piece shaft rubbing because his is lowered.
This makes no sense to me as my 99 has one and is lowered with no problems but I know nothing about these new mustangs
?

Vibration and harmonics is indeed the reason as Ford stated. Your 99's driveshaft did not change its position when you lowered it because the center section does not move when lowered.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Center section of the rear end, the rear end housing, diff. housing, whatever you wanna call it. With the IRS lowering the car doesn't move the DS mount locations or DS angles. Lowering a solid axle car does.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
flame3.jpg

Do it!!

chuckstang

Established Member
gotcha thx
but as far as weight reductions go, just dont drive around with any fat chicks.
Guys with a gt500 surely will get hotter tail than term drivers :)

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
JETSOLVER said:
Wonder how long it will take to make this available(aftermarket or otherwise)

Electronic Wedge Brake

Imagine the gains to be had taking all the hydraulic and ABS stuff of the car. Unsprung weight benefits? I want this NOW!!

Whoa!

Linked from article:
Autoweek said:
In tests, a prototype with the wedge brakes regularly required less than half the distance to come to a complete stop than the prototype with the standard brakes, a company official said.

As well as providing greatly improved braking ability, wedge brakes are significantly lighter than today’s most advanced hydraulic units. With fewer moving parts, they also could be more reliable and last longer.

When will we see the new brakes begin filtering through to the road? Sources say the first car with wedge brakes, an Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz or Porsche, is planned for launch in 2008.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
1 gallon of gas=8 pounds? I think that is the ratio. If that helps...........

stealth07

sleeper
yeah all the above listed mods plus a while back i heard the the how a normal gt was modified to take a new front k member( i cant rember who made it) but assuming this they might try make one for the gt500 as well this would drop a good amount of of weight

Users who are viewing this thread