03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Here are a few ideas:

lightweight battery: 20 lbs
lightweight rims: 20 lbs
lose spare and jack: 35lbs
Racing seats: 50+lbs

That's about 125 lbs. Not particularly cheap either.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
03gobluecobra said:
Here are a few ideas:

You can save a hell of a lot more on wheels and tires than that? :idea:

But, like Jeff said, the spare kit is only about 10# or less? (can of tire goop and a battery operated compressor)

You can save a few pounds with 2 pc front rotors utilizing aluminum hats but it's not cheap. Stock rotors are like flywheels!

Rear seat delete will save a few pounds. Like someone's going to sit back there!?!? ;-) But it's coming off the wrong end of the car! :(

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
You can save a hell of a lot more on wheels and tires than that? :idea:

But, like Jeff said, the spare kit is only about 10# or less? (can of tire goop and a battery operated compressor)

You can save a few pounds with 2 pc front rotors utilizing aluminum hats but it's not cheap. Stock rotors are like flywheels!

Rear seat delete will save a few pounds. Like someone's going to sit back there!?!? ;-) But it's coming off the wrong end of the car! :(

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

how much wieght have you taken off your 00? last i heard i believe you said it weighs in at 3300lbs now?

i think 300lbs off the gt500 is a realistic goal. 3850 - 300 = 3550lbs. as noted above this would not be cheap. like many have stated, it is much more cost efficient to improve power/weight ratio by adding power.:D :rockon:

Last edited:

SUPA SNAKE

Established Member
i agree about the added power but you can only have so much for the street. i know that you can also change the block to alluminum but that extremely expensive.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
a driveshaft swap is good for 25#. I would say a race prepped gt500 w/ al block will be in the 3300# range.

Dave07997S

Established Member
In addition to the already mentioned ideas, you can also ditch the heavy seats for some light weight Cobra seats or such. This can be as much as 60 lbs right there, along with driveshaft, light weight battery, wheels, brakes, and the exhaust (those cast iron manifolds and mufflers weight a ton). All this is an easy 175-200lbs. The car will still be very streetable. Oh and don't get the Mach 1000.

Dave

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
Since your already for it if you hit a car that modified, I think removing the bumper rebar and associated stuff would be good for another 40+ lb's as well.
Add in the savings from a decent aluminum large capacity rad and intercooler setup, perhaps another 20?

Fenah

Crazy Greek Man
Established Member
I think a good goal would be 3500-3600. but would cost $$

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SUPA SNAKE said:
so it is feasible to have a 3400lbs gt500 without makeing it an allout race car?

That would mean taking over 400# out of the car. This means removing A/C, cruise, air bags, steering wheel, stripping the interior, changing seats, removing rear seat, then you're going to want a roll cage then you're going to have to gut the doors and possibly the dash?

So, the answer to your question I guess is NO! :(

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
Bruce, did you weigh your stock wheels and tires while you had them off? The ones off my Roush, they were 52.7lbs. For track wheels a got the Weds Sports 18x9 they are 18.5lbs. I did the Nitto NT01's and each tire and wheel combo came in at 42.6. I was just wondering how heavy the stock GT500 wheels are?

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
You can fill the tires with Helium. That is lighter than air. Maybe that would take some weight off. Only put three lugnuts on. That should still hold the wheel on right? Remove the Stripes.

MADGREEK

Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
Here are a few ideas:

No spare and jack in my 07 tungsten grey shelby. it came with an repair kit. some kind of air filler. but no spare tire or jack. is it new to the gt500 only.

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
FLYIN said:
You can fill the tires with Helium. That is lighter than air. Maybe that would take some weight off. Only put three lugnuts on. That should still hold the wheel on right? Remove the Stripes.

Alterphysics Autosports produces a anti-gravity kit that mounts on the bottom of the car. It takes the GVW down to 37lbs. It makes the car unbeatable:pepper: Gas mileage goes up to 102mpg.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Driveshaft, brakes, wheels, seats, exhaust could be around 100+lbs. Start swapping suspension out and you could probably get close to 150-200lbs in a street car? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread