GT 500 weight reduction

chuckstang

Established Member
I think many of you are being unrealistic as to how much and how easy it is to drop weight off a street car and still keep it looking somewhat stock

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
bobosfocus said:
Bruce, did you weigh your stock wheels and tires while you had them off? The ones off my Roush, they were 52.7lbs. For track wheels a got the Weds Sports 18x9 they are 18.5lbs. I did the Nitto NT01's and each tire and wheel combo came in at 42.6. I was just wondering how heavy the stock GT500 wheels are?

Bob:

I did weight them but I did not record the weights. If I remember correctly the front tires were just under 60# ea. Like 57 or 58? Then the rears were right about 60#.

The track wheel and tire combo I ran was like 48# I think? I just put my scales away but I can write a note to weight the stuff when I get set up again?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

well just go out and put your deposit on a FR500C,race car that you can buy from your local Ford dealer.It's race ready and striped down to bear medal ready for the track. It's not cheep but when your in this ball game,you know that it can be expensive to play with Toys For Big Boys!!!! then you need not loose sleep at night wondering how to loose weight on the car!!!

Last edited:

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
The GT500 does not have a spare or jack.

DSCF1020.JPG

This idea and part came from the Ford GT

36515003.GT_11.jpg

You know it's funny, but my builders sheet from Ford states 3785#s. And I have the Shaker1000 subbox in my trunk.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Drive with half a tank or less all the time. Never fill it up to full!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
95YellowGTBeast said:
well i think there is alot of headway to go i know trianglespeedshop got an 03 cobra down to 3150

THAT, I can assure you, was no easy feat! :idea: But I HAVE seem them lighter! But it takes a considerable effort!!! :read:

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
I am thinking about a lightweight driveshaft for my Roush over the winter, but I have ?'s. Why did Ford go with the two piece driveshaft in the first place. Also, has anybody done one on s197 yet? I was just wondering about vibration and harmonics.

MYGT500

Established Member
add 100-150 hp...the car will feel much lighter...or try vertical stripes...My wife says they have a slimming effect...:lol:

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Let's not forget that every car needs a driver. As we rack our brains to figure out how we can shead pounds off the car...it is equally important to remember the car must be driven by person with mass.

Drivers...cabage soup, celery and green tea is the ticket!!:idea: :D:xpl:

Bootie

Established Member
You guys will have a tubular K out very very soon. Supposedly someone has already released one from my sources. :thumbsup:

chuckstang

Established Member
ya why did ford go with 2 piece driveshaft? any reason?
and I heard dgussin has had problems with his one piece shaft rubbing because his is lowered.
This makes no sense to me as my 99 has one and is lowered with no problems but I know nothing about these new mustangs
?

SlowSVT

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
3850 stock no options, just above 3900 with all options.

3910 was the number one got with all options and tank filled.

a tank of gasoline alone will weigh 100 lbs. With options included how does the weight only go up 60 lbs. ?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
a tank of gasoline alone will weigh 100 lbs. With options included how does the weight only go up 60 lbs. ?

i heard a source from svt saying the coupe with no options weighs in at near 3850lbs. i am assuming that is with full fluids including tank.

the 3910 was an actual fully specked gt500 from a gentleman in florida. i have heard the big weight comes from the mach 1000 stereo which is close to 70lbs heavier than the standard mach 500 stereo.

SlowSVT

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
i heard a source from svt saying the coupe with no options weighs in at near 3850lbs. i am assuming that is with full fluids including tank.

the 3910 was an actual fully specked gt500 from a gentleman in florida. i have heard the big weight comes from the mach 1000 stereo which is close to 70lbs heavier than the standard mach 500 stereo.

If that's true then the GT500 weighs 3750 lbs. with an empty tank. Is that the correct weight?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
If that's true then the GT500 weighs 3750 lbs. with an empty tank. Is that the correct weight?

yes that is the weight give or take a few pounds on a no option 07 gt500 coupe. take this car with a 1/4 tank gas and 200lb driver to the track and you will be below 4000lbs race weight.

in other words it is about 200lbs heavier than the 03/04 mustang svt.

JVENOM

Established Member
that would be a good idea for the GT 500 "weight Reduction" if that be the first thing to start out with.

Users who are viewing this thread