GT heads for R

inVision

Established Member
Excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge - Does this mean the GT's heads will be an easy fit for our 00R's, but with better breathing?

Does it also mean that the R heads could see significantly improved with porting/polishing?

Just curious....

"The ports in the GT engine's dual-overhead-cam cylinder heads are essentially the same as those used on the limited-production '00 SVT Cobra R factory race car with the exception that the volume of the coolant passages has been increased slightly. The coolant passages in the Cobra R head were intentionally left smaller to allow more room for porting."

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/113_0311_gt/index1.html

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Does this really change anything? It's impossible to find 00R heads, so are the GT heads even going to be available, and affordable? I doubt it but what do I know. P&P the heads you have, that would be the most cost effective route IMO.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
IMHO There is going to be a huge difference between what the '00 Cobra "R" was and what the GT is? The "R" was a special limited edition production run of 300 units and the GT is going to be about 10 times the production numbers from my understanding? The problem with the "R" is we have no spare parts in case of problems. I don't think that can/will be the case with the GT?

That's my take on it anyway?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
I talked to a SVT person at the Woodward Dream Cruise. They were showing off the red Cobra with the R parts and Whipple supercharger. He mentioned one of their thoughts was to sell GT heads. They will bolt on. You would have to accomodate 2 injectors per cylinder however.

inVision

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra
IMHO There is going to be a huge difference between what the '00 Cobra "R" was and what the GT is? The "R" was a special limited edition production run of 300 units and the GT is going to be about 10 times the production numbers from my understanding? The problem with the "R" is we have no spare parts in case of problems. I don't think that can/will be the case with the GT?

That's my take on it anyway?

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

I agree they're not gonna build 4500 cars over 3 years at least, and not have parts available. Especially for a car with a warranty.

The R was ultra limited. No warranty.

Huge dfference between the 2.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
People are already buying GT motors so I would expect parts will be available soon. The heads should work on both the 5.4L DOHC 00R and 4.6L DOHC Cobras.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Awesome. Glad to know that the parts will be available. I wonder what a set of GT heads will set a person back? :cryying:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I just found out that the GT heads are essentially identical to the '00Rs heads. So I guess you guys might be able to start getting some spare parts.

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
According to Hot Rod magazine, they are essentially ported 00R heads. Apparently they also have 2 injectors per cylinder, but that wasn't in the magazine, so I am skeptical of the article.

Boss 330

Established Member
I have 00R heads and just got a set '05 GT heads.They are almost copy's of each other. Tht double injector is housed in the intake manifold not the head,

TFStang

Established Member
I was wondering the same thing. Have heard a lot about the GT heads being pretty much bolt on. Wonder what the HP gains would be???

Users who are viewing this thread