GT tail lights on a Cobra

Sveet01

Established Member
I know this sounds stupid but please bear with me. Long story short, my '01 tail lights are no good anymore. For a couple of reasons. And instead of shelling out $200+ bucks for the same ones, I chose to go to the all red tails. I personally do not mind the look, even though getting 01 tails would have been my first choice.

Anyway, there are a lot of threads on how to put Cobra tails on GT's, but there are none on how to do the opposite. I thought it was a simple harness switch, but as I found out, I am going to need to hard-wire in the new lights to the Cobra's harness. Now before I wreck my cars electrical system, I have a couple questions regarding some foreseen problems.

First off, I know I can just wire in the amber turn signal wire to the turn signal wire on the GT tails and they will flash, however, I believe that both sides will flash, and since there is not a brake light interrupter on the car, when I press the brakes, the turn signals will cease to blink until I let off the brake again.

If anyone knows what I need (brake light interrupter, GT blinker relay, blinker box, w/e) please I need some advise.

Thanks

fastback brian

Established Member
there is one wire from the fuse box to the turn signal switch that is not on the cobra, if you add that wire then you would just need to wire the two existing turn signal wires to the two out side brake lamp bulbs.. the dark green wires used for the brake lamps needs to be traced all the way up to the fuse box,fuse 41 15amp, that wire needs to go into the turn signal switch pin 511, then just rewire the brake lamps using the green/orange wire and orange/blue wire to replace the green wires..

Sveet01

Established Member
Thanks Brian, ended up that I just dremeled out a hole where the amber bulb used to be on the Cobra tails on the GT ones and used the Cobra harness/lights.

Looks good! And unique.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I just drilled my GT lights out to put the turn signal bulb in. Gives them a different look than GTs when turning lol.

Users who are viewing this thread