GT350 Track Pack audio upgrade from OEMRadio

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Jesse from OEMRadio ([email protected]) is providing a solution for the rather weak factory four inch screen/"entertainment" system. Stock is woefully inadequate at best as much as many rationalize that they don't listen to the radio anyway. IMHO, a great performing pony car doesn't have to be a one dimensional experience. A 14hr jaunt to Georgia affirmed my own discontent after growing weary from squinting at my cell phone for navigation purposes. The 4" system would be right at home in a Mustang GT, circa 1993, but not on 2016 GT350.

So a plan was devised with Jesse providing all the necessary hardware to upgrade to an 8" screen, Sync 3 with the latest 2.0 software, Satellite radio (and HD), and Android Auto capability. Now that I'm done with the install I'm here to tell you - the system has exceeded my expectations and transformed the personality of the car as well as the utility. Here's a look at the hardware Jesse put together to suit my needs.

THE GOODS

Everything came boxed to perfection and geared towards protection from toss happy delivery persons.

1018161106_HDR.jpg

No cutting, no splicing, and no dicing. The harness from Jesse allows the 4" to 8" upgrade without a hitch. The connectors match the OEM for fitment and each pigtail is the perfect length.

1018161115_HDR.jpg

Jesse programmed an ACM that would allow SAT and HD radio.

1018161119_HDR.jpg

8" screen that allows Sync 3, Android Auto (or CarPlay if you are an Apple guy), and GPS navigation to shine.

1018161121_HDR.jpg

1018161122_HDR2.jpg

Miscellaneous support hardware that ties up each and every loose end.

1018161110_HDR.jpg

Factory Ford Premium GT350 bezel that allows the 8" screen.

1018161107_HDR.jpg

1018161108_HDR.jpg

I'll lay out much of the install tomorrow. So for now, here's some appropriately crappy (read: lots of noise and lame clarity) cell photos of the audio system nobody wanted. Much like grandma force feeding a sick child castor oil, the 4" Track Pack system was deemed fit for track hungry GT350 enthusiasts. Hasta la vista, underperforming audio system.

1018161623_HDR.jpg

1018161649_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Colleton

Established Member
Nice, Tob. From everything I've read and this company and product it should be a great upgrade for you.

Best of luck to you on this mod!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Nice, Tob. From everything I've read and this company and product it should be a great upgrade for you.

Best of luck to you on this mod!

Thanks Colleton. Jesse has been great to work with and has been there every time I had a question. My setup is very close to what you show in this photo of your car...

image2_dgi7gzo236.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
THE INSTALL

This isn't an overly complex mod but requires some attention to detail. You need to be careful and aware when removing the necessary trim pieces on the dash as well as popping the console up and back an inch or so (to allow removing the bezel). I highly suggest investing in some non-marring trim removal tools if you don't already have them. I picked these up for a few dollars from Autozone some time ago and they worked perfectly for me.

1019161611_HDR.jpg

I started by carefully removing a portion of the dash. Pry very carefully and note any clips that stay embedded in the dash and transfer them back to where they came from. Some items simply fall off so pay close attention.

1019161533_HDR.jpg

1019161535_HDR.jpg

1019161537_HDR.jpg

Hummingbird reference hidden behind the face. Kinda cool.

1019161538a_HDR2.jpg

I then removed the console side panels down where your knees are. There are a pair of 7mm screws under each pad that need to be removed. Once done you can pop the console up from the rear and move forward. You don't need to remove the console, just get it back a little. There are four more 7mm screws on the bezel (two on top and two on the bottom). Carefully unplug each connector on the back of the bezel. A flashlight and a little patience go a long way here.

Note the small dash face panel I popped but didn't unplug to the left of the console in the second picture. This aids in disassembly.

1018161649_HDR.jpg

1018161702a_HDR.jpg

You can now remove the 4" screen and sync module behind it. This allows you to remove the ACM below it as you can now reach your hand in where the screen once was to aid in unplugging the harnesses at the rear. Au revoir and good riddance.

1019161614_HDR.jpg

Here's the newly programmed ACM next to my original one (on left). Note the brackets on the original that have to be removed and transferred to the unit Jesse supplied.

1018161722_HDR.jpg

1018161723_HDR.jpg

1018161722a_HDR.jpg

1018161727_HDR.jpg

I had to pop the top center panel off the dash to gain access for antenna (both SAT and GPS) placement. Jesse supplies two plug in units. After adding some double sided tape I found the best position for each that didn't interfere with the dash panel that will reside above them. While their location may look odd I put them there to avoid ribbing under the panel that can make contact with them if they are in the way.

1018161745_HDR.jpg

1018161756_HDR.jpg

I then laid the new harness into the dash and by process of elimination plugged in the appropriate connectors. There were two pins for the navigation unit that have to be inserted into an existing plug. I called Jess and he sent me a schematic which showed where they had to go (the smaller of the two connector plugs that go into the back of the ACM). Because I'm becoming a blind old man I had to break out the magnifying glasses to see. Once you find them they simply push right in. They are pins 6 and 19 and go in right above one another in the proper orientation. Note that Jesse is working on a harness so you won't have to do this on future installs.

1019161316_HDR.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of the newly acquired ACM with everything plugged in. You can then install the unit into the dash.

1019161339_HDR.jpg

Plug in the harness extensions up above the ACM.

1019161205a_HDR.jpg

You can now install the 8" screen unit but must fiirst install the screen side brackets. I think Jesse has them made on a 3d printer and they fit perfectly. Note Torx bit size.

1019161201_HDR.jpg

1019161407_HDR.jpg

Plug everything into the rear and slip the screen into place and fasten away.

1019161414a_HDR.jpg

1019161427a_HDR.jpg

Whoever felt the 4" screen was satisfactory may have a very unsatisfied spouse at home.

1019161418a_HDR.jpg

:-D

Note that the unit will power up when the screen is plugged in. My Droid refused a quick and clean capture but trust me when I say that in the flesh, the R model splash screen that I had Jesse program into the unit looks absolutely badass.

1019161428_HDR.jpg

Onto the bezel. Obvious which will one will soon reside in a box up in the attic somewhere.

1019161422_HDR.jpg

Sayonara...

1019161422a_HDR.jpg

Hello toggles!

1019161422b_HDR.jpg

OF NOTE...the exhaust toggle requires a flash to the PCM to get it working (the hazard, traction, and launch control toggles work). PCM flashing is beyond the scope here but Lund, etc, should be able to do it for you. It'll give you redundancy (if you feel you have to have it) as all the original steering wheel switches operate as original.

Everything on the new bezel transfers over as the plugs are all the same.

1019161422c_HDR.jpg

The little powerpoint receptacle pops right out of the original bezel and clicks right into place on the new one.

1019161424_HDR.jpg

1019161425a_HDR.jpg

1019161425_HDR.jpg

You can now plug everything into place, tip the bezel back up and reinstall the necessary original fasteners.

1019161433a_HDR.jpg

The console can be put back into place and all the upper dash trim popped back in. Talk about a shit eating grin...

IMG_3299.jpg

I can actually use the backup camera now without requiring the eye expression of an elderly Chinaman (sorry PC police).

1019161716_HDR.jpg

And that's it. I could probably spend a week explaining every single feature but that'd take me a month to get through it. Suffice it to say, there is a metric shit ton of capacity and capability that were nonexistent with the factory supplied arrangement. From the mapping I can now play with (in a number of different ways as well), satellite radio, Android Auto (or CarPlay if you so desire), you name it - this is a huge improvement. Major kudos to Jess for making the hardware available to allow Track Pack owners to choose the hardware that should have been made available in the first place.

Last edited:

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
Thanks for the write up and the thorough install pics.. Im glad you're happy.. I know its a big improvement over the 4" screen that was in there and its nice tat you can now have what the guys in 17 can have.. BOTH the Track pack and Tech Pack but at a better price..

If anyone has questions feel free to ask..

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
do they have a website? wonder if they have something for my gt500

I don't have a website.. But I am accessible.. I have Facebook.. and email.. not sure if I can post it.. But I am OEMRadio.. hopefully soon my user name will reflect that here.. but I do have a 14 GT500 also..

C0bra99

Established Member
Great writeup. Now all I need is a GT350R. Now I do have a 13 GT500 so........

Sent from my SM-N930W8 using Tapatalk

Helmet

Established Member
What is the cost for this awesomeness? This is something I have been looking for. I have the TomTop unit installed but there is a lot to be desired.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
What is the cost for this awesomeness? This is something I have been looking for. I have the TomTop unit installed but there is a lot to be desired.

It is expensive.. but as Tob got it.. with every option its $2600

You can say take nav away.. or HD radio.. SAT radio.. and it is less..

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I've always felt that it would be easier to get a Track Pack car and do an audio upgrade than to buy a Tech Pack car and try to upgrade the suspension/coolers. Since I had to have the Recaro's anyway this upgrade through Jesse was definitely the way to go (for me anyway).

Colleton

Established Member
Outstanding, it's beautiful. Congratulations!!!

I really need to do the Forscan thing to turn on the R splash screen.

jtn83

Established Member
I've always felt that it would be easier to get a Track Pack car and do an audio upgrade than to buy a Tech Pack car and try to upgrade the suspension/coolers. Since I had to have the Recaro's anyway this upgrade through Jesse was definitely the way to go (for me anyway).

Tob,

In hindsight, wish I had gone this route instead of the Tech Pack. As always, great job and write up. This is the set up that everyone really wanted from the get-go.

Cheers,
Jason

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Tob,

The end result of the install looks amazing and appears well worth it for the amenities you get. Although $2600 may sound expensive to some, you quickly realize how much benefit you get from the tech options every time you drive the car. Kudos to you for being the first to take the plunge and taking the time to write it up. I am very happy to see the aftermarket is responding to the needs of the 2016 guys that wanted it all from the start

Users who are viewing this thread