GT350R Nürburgring lap time!

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Again... The info from that site is, as best as we can tell fabricated to get traffic onto their site.

Ok well let me rephrase the question.

Expectations. What would be considered sub par, par, and above par as far as ring times are concerned. In you knowledgeable guys opinions.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It's impossible to say. Unless they were on the track the same day at nearly the same time, then all times are irrelevant. A change in temperature of 5 degrees at that place can make a difference of 5 seconds. There is no way to compare unless they were head to head. This is why almost no one takes ring times with a grain of salt. If you have a sub 7:45 car, then you have a fast car. That's basically my rule of thumb. The lightning lap at VIR that C&D does is about the best method of comparison there is. I'm sure that they will have both of these guys there next time.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
It's impossible to say. Unless they were on the track the same day at nearly the same time, then all times are irrelevant. A change in temperature of 5 degrees at that place can make a difference of 5 seconds. There is no way to compare unless they were head to head. This is why almost no one takes ring times with a grain of salt. If you have a sub 7:45 car, then you have a fast car. That's basically my rule of thumb. The lightning lap at VIR that C&D does is about the best method of comparison there is. I'm sure that they will have both of these guys there next time.

Thanks. Cant wait to see that!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Yay! Now C&D has jumped into the circle jerk foray!!

C&D said:
...there is no independent confirmation on this, but British mag Evo is claiming that Ford’s new Shelby GT350R has lapped the...
http://blog.caranddriver.com/ring-a-ding-ding-gt350r-allegedly-pokes-hole-in-z28s-nurburgring-time/

Because the British always have the skinny on American cars before Americans do.:rollseyes

Again, Pericak to the rescue.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/29006769...ring/?playlist_id=2366201037001#sp=show-clips

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Don't worry, tomorrow GM will say the Z28 turned a 7:15. It's all in the name of selling cars, not benchmarks set by a 3rd party. The funny part is, it works. People eat it up. Guess that's why Ford stooped to it.

Last edited:

10splaya22

Established Member
Don't worry, tomorrow GM will say the Z28 turned a 7:15. It's all in the name of selling cars, not benchmarks set by a 3rd party. The funny part is, it works. People eat it up. Guess that's why Ford stooped to it.

Where? The GT350R time was made up. No one from Ford confirmed the time because it didn't happen. HPK is a clickbait site as shown many other places in this thread.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
No it wasn't. It drove through some spots of drizzle around the track, but it was far from a wet or rainy track.

Links?

Yeah, I have 2 of them.... I see threw them. I dont have videos and or pics either. I like my job to much.

Last edited:

Badass_Forever

Established Member
listen guys, the sound that this thing makes if unreal, it shakes the pictures in our offices. the first time i ever herd it "2yrs ago", I ran outside and was like WTF is this. it sounded like a huge cammed big block. they drive them around FWHQ everyday, and they drive them very hard. but like i said, this car isnt even close to being production ready. they are finally getting the motors right, now they have to find a way to mass produce a hand built engine. there is still a ton of work to be done. It would take to long to put into words the amount of work that it takes to do something like this.. If i had to guess? i would say they are 15-20% ready for mass production.

NlGHTMARE

Banned
listen guys, the sound that this thing makes if unreal, it shakes the pictures in our offices. the first time i ever herd it "2yrs ago", I ran outside and was like WTF is this. it sounded like a huge cammed big block. they drive them around FWHQ everyday, and they drive them very hard. but like i said, this car isnt even close to being production ready. they are finally getting the motors right, now they have to find a way to mass produce a hand built engine. there is still a ton of work to be done. It would take to long to put into words the amount of work that it takes to do something like this.. If i had to guess? i would say they are 15-20% ready for mass production.

Are you talking about the GT350? If thats true, Ford has alot of work to do if this is going to be a 2016 model. I believe you, though.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The 5.2L engine assembly looks far less "unique" than the Trinity engines were. The Niche Line shouldn't have much of a problem cranking these out.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The 5.2L engine assembly looks far less "unique" than the Trinity engines were. The Niche Line shouldn't have much of a problem cranking these out.

I sense that you are slowly become less and less impressed...

I was having that less impressed than originally after the unveiling feeling and that's why I pulled the trigger on the 2014. In any case, it appears as though I got one of the last SVT vehicles that will ever be produced. (see FP as taking the mantle now) And the jury is out as to whether or not I have the last of the GT500's.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Very perceptive.

The talk from Ford gave everyone a sense that this powerplant shared very little with anything else they offer. In studying the engine that was on the stand in Detroit it became abundantly clear that this was not the case.

The block - an obvious Coyote derivative. Ford looks to have merely manipulated the Coyote CAD data, here and there, put it through some simulation software to optimize strength/weight loss, tested it, and ran with it. While I originally figured it would have been cast in Germany by Hon$el (due to the spray bore process) I now have a sense that it is cast in Windsor - which is fine if they can match the quality and save money as well.

The rods - we are going to be told how the 5.2 rod is the strongest rod Ford has ever produced, etc. They saved a heck of a lot of money by utilizing powdered metal. I still wanted something a bit more exotic, which is apparently what a traditional drop forging has now become.

The crank - I think we can all agree that everything about this motor points to the crank, the heart of this engine. I had hoped for something beyond the realm of typical production Ford here too. But when I saw the undercut fillets on the journals I was a bit disappointed. Good on Ford for saving money here too. I just happened to have wanted something more and would have gladly paid for it as well.

The heads - we'll be told about how many hours were spent optimizing the valves, ports, etc in order to eek out as much hp as possible. They have a strong resemblance (again) to Coyote pieces that have been tweaked.

The oil pan - composite technology can be fascinating and it is nice to see Ford continue to push the limits. But I strongly suspect that anyone looking to actually cut some tight apexes via some curb "jumping" or that runs anywhere where there may be some debris on the road surface, would much prefer a well baffled steel pan. I know I would.

The Tremec 3160 - Ford has been very quiet about it. I suspect that it'll be another semi-remote gearbox which I had really hoped Ford would abandon for this car, especially since they are using a transmission that will only be going in this car. The torque capacity is a bit lower than that of the TR6060 and as such it's going to be stressed a bit more, especially when higher than stock hp numbers are at play.

That said, I am hungry to learn every single detail about the hardware up above and am still holding out to be impressed beyond the initial look we've been allowed.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Tob - In the past, are the part(s) that are visible in the cutaway always the same as used in production? Or is the cutaway just to give everyone an idea of how it's designed, but the part(s) visible are not the final product?

Users who are viewing this thread