GT350R Nürburgring lap time!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I'm also getting that feeling that they may be jumping the shark with this engine. All of this R&D money and really they could have just built up the GT engine a bit more with cam selection and some slight intake modifications and eeked out equal or better torque, and close to 500hp with a 7,500 rpm or better redline. But then Ford would have had a much harder time marketing it as "something special", other than the Mag-ride, which is not a standard feature apparently anyhow. Don't even get me started on the 350R. The wheels and brakes are nice. They just are not my cup of tea, unless I was being sponsored by someone with deep pockets that would help me replace the rotors and pads after every few track events.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Tob - In the past, are the part(s) that are visible in the cutaway always the same as used in production? Or is the cutaway just to give everyone an idea of how it's designed, but the part(s) visible are not the final product?

That's a good question. Generally, what you see is what you get. At the engineering level, I'm quite certain that there are always details that have been or will be "adjusted" (for production reasons, supply issues, running changes, etc). Those responsible for this powerplant could probably point at certain items from that display engine and go into some pretty good detail about how what you are seeing is not exactly what will be offered. We keep hearing that development is ongoing and as such anything could change. But I think it fair to say that the cutaway engine in Detroit gave a damn good look at what Ford intends to use and would not expect major changes between now and production.

I'm also getting that feeling that they may be jumping the shark with this engine. All of this R&D money and really they could have just built up the GT engine a bit more with cam selection and some slight intake modifications and eeked out equal or better torque, and close to 500hp with a 7,500 rpm or better redline. But then Ford would have had a much harder time marketing it as "something special"

Ford reps have stated that the idea behind this engine was centered on the FPC from the beginning. Pretty cool, but I wondered too why they didn't just offer up a direct injected Coyote version that makes numbers similar to what you quoted. I think marketing won out here. What with the GT/Lemans victory anniversary coming up it is almost as if the inspiration for the GT350/FPC was drawn from the same ire, that being, to somehow "better" Ferrari and to show the world that Ford could manufacture a fairly low cost, high output, "large" displacement FPC V8 engine.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Very perceptive.

The talk from Ford gave everyone a sense that this powerplant shared very little with anything else they offer. In studying the engine that was on the stand in Detroit it became abundantly clear that this was not the case.

The block - an obvious Coyote derivative. Ford looks to have merely manipulated the Coyote CAD data, here and there, put it through some simulation software to optimize strength/weight loss, tested it, and ran with it. While I originally figured it would have been cast in Germany by Hon$el (due to the spray bore process) I now have a sense that it is cast in Windsor - which is fine if they can match the quality and save money as well.

The rods - we are going to be told how the 5.2 rod is the strongest rod Ford has ever produced, etc. They saved a heck of a lot of money by utilizing powdered metal. I still wanted something a bit more exotic, which is apparently what a traditional drop forging has now become.

The crank - I think we can all agree that everything about this motor points to the crank, the heart of this engine. I had hoped for something beyond the realm of typical production Ford here too. But when I saw the undercut fillets on the journals I was a bit disappointed. Good on Ford for saving money here too. I just happened to have wanted something more and would have gladly paid for it as well.

The heads - we'll be told about how many hours were spent optimizing the valves, ports, etc in order to eek out as much hp as possible. They have a strong resemblance (again) to Coyote pieces that have been tweaked.

The oil pan - composite technology can be fascinating and it is nice to see Ford continue to push the limits. But I strongly suspect that anyone looking to actually cut some tight apexes via some curb "jumping" or that runs anywhere where there may be some debris on the road surface, would much prefer a well baffled steel pan. I know I would.

The Tremec 3160 - Ford has been very quiet about it. I suspect that it'll be another semi-remote gearbox which I had really hoped Ford would abandon for this car, especially since they are using a transmission that will only be going in this car. The torque capacity is a bit lower than that of the TR6060 and as such it's going to be stressed a bit more, especially when higher than stock hp numbers are at play.

That said, I am hungry to learn every single detail about the hardware up above and am still holding out to be impressed beyond the initial look we've been allowed.

Built to a price. That's all you need to remember.

<ramblings follow>
I also think with the introduction of this 5.2 FPC V8 and the new Ford GT that Ford is subtly thumbing their noses at Ferrari. Even after all these decades, there's still no love lost between the companies. Why else would Ford bring such a frivolous suit against Ferrari for calling the LaFerrari the F150. I bet one of those other unnamed performance vehicles they're planning on producing in the coming years will be something else to put the screws to Ferrari. A sort of "we can do it, too, but for way cheaper" affair.

What I'm about to say will come across to some as sacrilege to some, but with Jamal saying the new GT has the best power:weight ratio of any production vehicle, I can't help thinking this thing might be all up in the LaFerrari's face in spite of its relatively diminutive HP level. Ford's next performance vehicle might be something to push the 458 successor's face into the sand. How funny (and shocking) would it be if the GT350R ends up being able to hustle around a road course faster than a 458?? (Sounds crazy, but look to the GTR. It's the rolling embodiment of illogical and irrational engineering accomplishment.)
</rambling>

Last edited:

TrackpackGT

Established Member
That was on German race gas. :burn: I too would opt for the 1SS 1LE package, but only because I can afford a Z28. I guess I'm still lying because I bought a new 14 GT trackpack base model because it was even less than the 1LE.....

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Actually, you saw it on here first. But like many chose to do, we were ignored..

;-)
:beer:
:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread