GT350R wins vs ZL1 in M/T & KBB h2h's.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Decent video but didn't teach me anything I didn't already know to be honest.

I linked the video to show you guys the "feels" that come with the R. Did you notice his face while he was running up the RPM band? That's the look that every GT350 driver has every time they put their foot in it. We're all awash with the feels. Show me a ZL1 (or any Camaro) video that produces the same response. Fanboy videos don't count. I could post videos all day of non-owners having the same response to driving a GT350. The R just kicks it up several notches.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Im still laughing that no one will comment on my post with both tracks shown from satalite view. I think it squashed the whole debate haha.

The zl1 is probably faster and quicker than the gt350r at places like pensicola or Indy. The gt350r is probably quicker though maybe not top speed faster than the zl1 at most all complex circuits without many long straights. Obviously the Nurburgring, divided in sections, has great chances for the gt350r to run away from a zl1, but the back straight is like 3 miles. The zl1 can make up 5+ seconds there alone not to mention on the back sides aft the carousels.

The fact it's even a sub half second discussion on a 2 mile track like Big Willow between these cars when one traps 125-128+, and the other about 120-122, well I'm happy. Gt500 will be great.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I think the biggest issue is theres no time for the zl1 at a technical track.

Remember when zl1 was first announce they said it will destroy the R. Now that has not the gm fans have moved on to the zl1 1le will destroy the r.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
ZL1 1LE at Laguna Seca - 1:34.30
GT350R at Laguna Seca - 1:36.11

As we all know, Laguna Seca is famous for being one of, if not the, most technical tracks in America with its crazy zero-/off-camber turns and its dips at corner entry and exit. Not to mention its infamous corkscrew that, if you enter it wrong, is like driving off a 3-story parking deck. It's reasonably long, too. That said, the ZL1 1LE "only" mustered a 1.81 second advantage. The GT350R would probably chop that down like Paul Bunyan on a 20 minute lapping session.

Now that Laguna Seca is out of the way, I'd like to see what they both do at VIR in a head-to-head.

CO Mack

Established Member
Remember this is the gm that cheats at the ring for pure marketing halo laps.

Of course they do, look at the lap time masturbation in this thread! A second or two between cars driven by different people on different days (years) and people talk about it being a huge difference...so silly...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Of course they do, look at the lap time masturbation in this thread! A second or two between cars driven by different people on different days (years) and people talk about it being a huge difference...so silly...
The Camaro is a desperate product and Chevy will return to whatever well that works for them.

Nobody disputes their times, nobody competes with them and nobody does a vehicle inspection.

Why the GT350 breathing down the ZL1's neck, don't expect too many H2H's. What if the ZL1 fell behind on one of those test? What if it's a hot summer and heatsoak sets in?

Suddenly it's 2013 all over again and Ford doesn't need a supercharger.

CO Mack

Established Member
1 or 2 seconds at Laguna could be as simple as a couple of PSI in the tires...or for that matter, a tank of good fuel.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If I had a gt350r, added a supercharger, put stickier tires on it, then added substantial downforce and foils, and only shaved 1.82 seconds at leguna seca, I'd hang my hat at the door and sell the parts.

A gt350r without anything but street legal cup tires will pull 1:34's at leguna IMO.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If I had a gt350r, added a supercharger, put stickier tires on it, then added substantial downforce and foils, and only shaved 1.82 seconds at leguna seca, I'd hang my hat at the door and sell the parts.

Right?! But, to be fair, the standard ZL1 hasn't been run there (and probably won't at this point), so we really don't know how much time it shaved off a standard ZL1's time. And when it comes to times reported/recorded by GM, you don't take them with a grain of salt but rather a salt block.

Motor Trend has also finished up their BDC competition for this year, so that 1:34.30 is probably what will go in the books. It'll be nice to see the video in September/October. I'm going to bet the 1LE either took top honors or it was at least in the top 3. There wasn't really a good bunch to choose from this year. I think the AMG GT-R was the best car they had to fight the 1LE. That should've been a really good battle.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The AMG GT-R should destroy the zle.
Christian Gebhardt ran both the AMG GT-R and the R8 V10 Plus on the ring in an independent test.

AMG GT-R 7.10.92
R8 V10 Plus 7.32

The R8 V10 Plus was faster than the Zle at Laguna Seca clocking 1.34.23, with Randy driving.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
All of these lap times and the motortrend comparison show me that it's as much a theatrics show as politics are. (The motortrend comparison is live now for freebie watchers like myself, errs 30 days later for free for those that don't know)

Gm claims it ran a 7:15 or whatever and honestly I don't even car. I look at all of this and come away thoroughly impressed by the gt350r.

On paper: 650hp. Hp track. Only puts .39 seconds on a 526hp car. Same driver same track. Ya, all the hype is just hype.

jtfx6552

Established Member
There is no prize money or trophies at DEs. Driving on a road course is all about fun, and trying to master the art of driving.

Whether car A is a little faster than car B in the hands of a pro, or anyone for that matter, has nothing to do with how much fun they are or aren't.

I didn't want a GT350 because it was "only 526" HP. I bought one because I wanted to get back on track this year, and neither the new GT500 or Zl1 1LE are available.

I am so glad I did. I love the car. It makes going to the store to get milk a blast.

My GT500 was fun, but primarily only fun when it was floored and pushing you into the seat. The GT350 is just fun all the time. I love putting it in sport mode, lowering the windows and just listening to it. Even at partial throttle. It's just fun.

Took my 12 yo niece for a ride to get ice cream. She knows nothing about cars except she thought it was cool looking. I didn't get on it at all as I don't screw around on the street with kids in the car.

When we got back, she said to her mom, "that car is an experience". I doubt she would have said that about the ZL1, as, according to the testers, when you putz around town, it's just a car. "out of the mouth of babes", as they say. Smarter than Chevy owners, lol.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Chevy was well aware the '17 ZL1 was in danger of being overthrown by the GT350R. No disputing the better platform now, the S550 can do more with less power.

Don't expect Ford to abandon the infamous GT350 or the world class Flat Plane V8. With Port/Direct Injection coming, I'd like to think progress will continue. Perhaps the UAW Contract can be revised in 2020 to include Motorsport demands.

The Z/28 and Motorsport program was cancelled and the ZL1 and 1LE programs were merged together around August '16 (as reported). That was after the UAW Contract was signed in Nov 2015 to include Voodoo upgrades. It appears that Chevy knew the ZL1 wasn't enough as well as the potential for a GT350 upgrade.

If the '19 refresh doesn't help the Camaro, it will be on its way out when the S650 is introduced. Doubtful the '18 GT350 gets PDI like the GT but who knows... I would certainly like to see a PDI Voodoo vs. a ZL1 1 Lap Edition (1LE).

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Some real crying from the Ford nuthuggers and GM haters. The tears of blood will really flow once the 1LE version hits the streets. All the excuses will flow, like diarrhea after a night of heavy drinking, bad seafood / mexican food.

Ill just leave this here:

IMG_8064.JPG

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Some real crying from the Ford nuthuggers and GM haters. The tears of blood will really flow once the 1LE version hits the streets. All the excuses will flow, like diarrhea after a night of heavy drinking, bad seafood / mexican food.

Ill just leave this here:

View attachment 94279

As long as it's less than 5 laps...
We just found exotics racings new car!

IMG_2491.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

Actually, those of us who bought the GT350/GT350R for what it is aren't going to give a darn about the ZL1 1LE being faster in a straight line. And the markups that are/were being paid for GT350s is probably a good indicator that the people who bought GT350s have the wherewithal to buy a ZL1 1LE in addition to their GT350. So we're not losing or missing out on anything. I'm giving Ford another 12 - 18 months to at least release some information on the next GT500. After that, if it's still in production, a shiny new ZL1 1LE will be parked next to my R.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
.39 seconds. Someone with a name that rhymes with tryborg is sweating. That's too close for comfort. He's thinking to himself "that close? On that circuit? How!!! Ok don't panic, remember the camaro credo that it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, and always double clutch like you should even on downshifts while drag racing... Yep, they can't pick up on my nerves if I continue to avoid commenting on the figure 8 where the gt350r was faster. Just press this Willow story like CNN presses Russia, there's gotta be something here! A 650hp car can't be barely faster than a 526hp na car... Where's my antidepressant!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread