GT350R wins vs ZL1 in M/T & KBB h2h's.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Is MT lapping the light weight R or the one with the electronics pack?

It has the Electronics Pack. If they do another comparo against the ZL1 1LE, they should get a base R to be fair.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I am simply surmising that the green track has a higher likely hood of having a larger impact on the ZL1 then the GT350R. Not only does the ZL1 have more power it is severely limited by the tire difference. Anyone will readily admit that tires have a much larger impact than anything else when it comes to the "curves".
I remember MT complaining about the Viper ACR, saying if it wasnt for the tires it would be slower than a GrandSport.

The tire difference between the two is substantial. The Mustang has 1.4" of additional tire contact surface at the front of the car. I could not find any direct comparison of the Pilot Sport Cup 2 and the Eagle F1 Supercar's but word on the street is the PS2 is a much better tire. The F1s are extreme performance summer the PS2 are steetable track & competition...

I like both cars but I think the mustang is much better looking and sounds better. I feel the issue with a green track makes a difference is true but who is to say one car is not more affected then the other. Especially a heavier car with more power and less tire...

Are the new F1's available yet for consumers or testing?

I heard Goodyear took something like 4 years to developed. They are supposed to be comparable to the cup 2 in grip on the new zl1 and comparable to the trofeo for the zl1 1le. I don't believe gm would have signed off if they were not close.

Yes tires make a huge difference. These f1 tires are not the same as the ones that came on the 2013/14 gt500.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
ON D BIT, on full on delusional mode. Fanboyism at its worst.

Is MT lapping the light weight R or the one with the electronics pack?

Since we are comparing lap times let's go second, third, lap times after a thirty minute flog with no pit. How will the blown camaro be doing on lap times? The R never lost more 3%.

Great under msrp for the zl1. That only means people with real money/credit won't buy one. Sweet argument....

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Now F1s are like the Cup2s.... Lmaoooo....

R with the CLEAR WHEEL/TIRE advantage but not a peep about that from the fan boys..... all they cry about is having the weaker motor.... lol

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Do you really think gm would settle for slower tire?
"Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro to offer exceptional grip on the track"

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/camaro/2017-camaro/2017-camaro-zl1/#ixzz4jnnfte1D

"with new Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires that deliver max lateral grip of 1.10g."

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...ages/news/us/en/2017/may/0517-camaro-zl1.html

Remember this is the gm that cheats at the ring for pure marketing halo laps.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Goodyear has indeed worked hard to catch up to Michelin in this case. You're right Zyborg about the wheel advantage of the R model. How much of that translates into reduced lap times...hard to tell as the ZL1 has some pretty well done wheels too.

Even the lightest R you can order should get trounced by the ZL1 1LE.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I'm confident that GM has done this one right in terms of cooling and severe duty. It is Ford that needs to follow suit and never, ever, sell "coolerless" models such as the GT350 Base/Tech cars in '15/'16 (yes Virginia, they did at least have an oil cooler).

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The 2017 zl1 Goodyear g2's are a 220tw tire...

The gt350r is on a ~40-60tw tire (*180), and the gt350 is on a *300tw tire.

Iirc, the 1le ss is on a 200tw tire.

Edit: Wow I'm either way off or tire rack is. I guess the pilot sport cup 2's on the gt350r are allegedly a 180tw. The comparison with the z28 is epic now in my mind. If the gt350r was that much faster with a 180tw tire vs the 60tw trofeo's...

Which Michelin pilot has like 60tw? I thought that was the tire on the gt350r.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
For a few laps yes. It does have much better power to weight. It be fun to see lap times on lap 20 though....can we drivers race?

Can we smell desperation?
Lol

Edit: Wow I'm either way off or tire rack is. I guess the pilot sport cup 2's on the gt350r are allegedly a 180tw. The comparison with the z28 is epic now in my mind. If the gt350r was that much faster with a 180tw tire vs the 60tw trofeo's...

You cant compare TW across manufactures sir. That data means little, if anything.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'm confident that GM has done this one right in terms of cooling and severe duty. It is Ford that needs to follow suit and never, ever, sell "coolerless" models such as the GT350 Base/Tech cars in '15/'16 (yes Virginia, they did at least have an oil cooler).

Like they did with the c7z?

And why does Porsche still use N/A GT3RS power for their ultimate track beast?

Tread wear does not equal grip. There is also no universal tread wear calculation. All manufacturer use their own formula.

In saying that, the trofeo r are over a second faster than the cup 2 on track.

Can we smell desperation?
Lol

You cant compare TW across manufactures sir. That data means little, if anything.

True TW means only approximate wear that is gauged differently per manufacturer.

Desperation no. I was not the one who put a blower on a track car.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
ON D BIT, I'd have had zero issue if the GT350 came with a motor similar to the '13/'14 5.8L in the GT500. Oh my GOD what a track monster it would have been. And no doubt it would have needed additional cooling attention similar to the ZL1/1LE cars. So to be fair, hey, if GM uses a similar formula then more power to them if they can make the combination work. And it sure as heck looks like they did.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Notice how you say that and mention nothing about how the Rs cup2 are over a second faster than ZL1 F1s.

According to who? Have they been tested? Im speaking of the F1 G3 on the 17 ZL1 not the G2's.

Yes the G2's are slower than the cup 2. But that's not what the new zl1's are wearing.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
ON D BIT, I'd have had zero issue if the GT350 came with a motor similar to the '13/'14 5.8L in the GT500. Oh my GOD what a track monster it would have been. And no doubt it would have needed additional cooling attention similar to the ZL1/1LE cars. So to be fair, hey, if GM uses a similar formula then more power to them if they can make the combination work. And it sure as heck looks like they did.

Tob, have you seen continuous lap times from the zl1. I have not. I do know as Ford stated they lost no more than 3% in lap time over 24 hours of continuous racingin the R. If gm could even stay at 5% of their top lap times I'd be impressed.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
According to who? Have they been tested? Im speaking of the F1 G3 on the 17 ZL1 not the G2's.

Yes the G2's are slower than the cup 2. But that's not what the new zl1's are wearing.

If you thing the F1s are better than Michellin's Cup 2s, I got some ocean front property for sale in WY for you!

Also, in regards to cup2s and trofeos, you do realize that Jamal himself said that they (Ford's engineers) specifically picked that tire as they "believe its the best street legal track tire in the world".... not GMs fault that Ford picked what they picked.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Yes Jamal said the picked the cup 2 because they gave them the best overall tire with performance wear and rain driving. The cup 2 are a great tire.

The Trofeo are significantly faster though. Multiple reports 1-2 seconds faster on 2 min tracks.

Rennlist:

shizzle , 03-14-2015 12:15 AM
    I've tried all 3. The Trofeo R are by far the fastest and have the shortest lifespan. I found that they were almost 2 seconds a lap faster at Calabogie than the MPSC2 and PSC. So far I find the MPSC2 just as quick as the PSC will much better lifespan. I like the Trofeo but its hard to justify the prices. The MPSC2 is also by far the best in the wet.

In your case i'm pretty confident the Trofeo will be faster than the PSC.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Goodyear just spent 3 to 4 years in creating their new F1 tires. The tires they benchmarked, G3 - Cup 2 and 3R - PTR.

If you have test results from these new tires let's see them.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
According to a review on Tire Rack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Supercar+3
Tire Rack Owner Review said:
Vehicle:
2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe
  • Miles Driven on Tires:
  • Driving Condition:
    Combined Highway/City
    Driving Style:
    Spirited
4 out of 4 people found the following review helpful:
Initial Review:
December 22, 2016
These are the OEM tire on my brand new 2017 SS 1LE. So far I'm extremely happy with tires. I only have 1,000 miles on them so my experience with them is limited but first impressions are that this tire will give Pilot Sport Cup 2's a run for there money for less money than the Pilot Super Sports! I have pushed this tire very hard on some runs up in the mountains near the blue ridge parkway and I wasn't let down once. The tire exceeds my limits as a driver so I can't wait to get more seat time and hit a track day to really push these. The only thing close to a flaw I noticed was that in mid 40's temps after cooling the car down. Heading back down the mountain the tires did slightly understeer in a couple of turns while the tires were getting some heat back in them.

Also this car is my daily driver and these tires are currently holding up well in 30 degree temps. Granted I don't push the car in such cold temps, but it is still very docile as a commuter tire when driving to and from work in these conditions.

Tires usually do make a huge difference in a car's performance, but I think it's being overstated in this case. The MPSC2 has been on the market for a long time. Goodyear's F1 Supercar 3 tire is brand new. No doubt it has more modern materials, technology and construction. It might very well be nearly or just as good as the MPSC2.

So can we put the tire debate to bed and focus on the many other aspects of these two cars that would put them so close to each other?

bigja01cobra

Established Member
So the tire size difference, car weight, and power difference do not matter. As power, weight, and tire sizes changes (width/sidewall) the more the impact the tire will have. I am correct in this assumption???
We need another tire comparison like MT did a while back to compare the two.

Users who are viewing this thread