GT350R wins vs ZL1 in M/T & KBB h2h's.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I love how the Camaro boys have changed tune from "the ZL1 is the best car evaaaarrrr!" to "the ZL1 is a 'GT cruiser.' Wait for the ZL1 1LE." LOL

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The na gt350r has enough power to be very quick in a straight line. It's the only place the zl1 is any better. Everything else is more rewarding and engaging in the gt350r.

Any honest hot lapped will probably want to spend all day lapping in a gt350r, while they will probably spend maybe 5-10 if that in the zl1.

It's not that the zl1 is soft or bad, it's honestly the much better street car. As a daily driver, the zl1 is much more a 911 turbo. The gt350r is much more a gt3 rs.

Take either of those Porsches to the track and you'll love the rs much more. Take them on a winding lazy mountain and you'll probably like the turbo.

The zl1 1le may well be like a turbo S or possibly even gt2 RS. Hopefully, the next gt500 will be about that as well.

All said, the gt350r and 911 gt3 RS are the cars that offer a connected and rewarding experience. Very raw and primal. Man controls fate.

The Porsche I hope the zl1 1le and gt500 are most like would have to be the gt2 rs. The 911 turbo S is fantastic, but the rawness of a gt2 RS is much more inline with my idea of a top tier hyper muscle offering.

image.png

If I had to guess, I think Porsche in one respect or another is already building a c7 z06 fighter. That said, hyper muscle is nipping at those performance levels heels.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
The Mustang wins because it is Coke and Camaro is Pepsi, it will never be as good.

I think it is funny how the camaro is super charged and the Mustang is N/a...o how the times have changed.....LOL "...but, but, but you guys need a supercharger to win!!" (circa 03)

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
The Porsche I hope the zl1 1le and gt500 are most like would have to be the gt2 rs. The 911 turbo S is fantastic, but the rawness of a gt2 RS is much more inline with my idea of a top tier hyper muscle offering.

View attachment 91952
If I had to guess, I think Porsche in one respect or another is already building a c7 z06 fighter. That said, hyper muscle is nipping at those performance levels heels.

That car is going to be brutally fast.

Their 540hp 911 is already a 10.8/130 mph car.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That car is going to be brutally fast.

Their 540hp 911 is already a 10.8/130 mph car.

That's what happens when a car manufacturer keeps weight under control. Even their AWD 911s aren't much over 3300 pounds. And they do it without using "exotic" materials.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
That's what happens when a car manufacturer keeps weight under control. Even their AWD 911s aren't much over 3300 pounds. And they do it without using "exotic" materials.
The one I was actually looking at was a cabriolet and it weighs over 3700lbs.

Porsche just makes really good use of their power.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The dry weight of a gt350r is probably around 3380-3425lbs.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Europeans quote a dry weight, Americans quote a wet weight.

Shipping a Ferrari f430 over from Italy to here leads to quite the binge eating. The second it lands on American shores, it gains 275lbs! We have too much fast food I guess.

Also, that turbo Porsche is turbo. And geared long. And auto. Many drivers of manual 911 turbos (997) had a hard time trapping within 5mph of the autos.

Take a 97 cobra. Put a single turbo and an auto in, and sort it out with a nice rear end. Get it tuned for 500whp. Surprisingly, it'll trap close to 130mph.

Turbos, and autos are an acceleration formula that work very well.

Not to mention, Porsche grossly under rates the turbo engines power output.

991 turbos are about 3550-3800lbs wet depending on options/cabrio etc. They are about 75lbs lighter than 997's from what I have read up and seen.

Last edited:

apache driver

Established Member
I love how the Camaro boys have changed tune from "the ZL1 is the best car evaaaarrrr!" to "the ZL1 is a 'GT cruiser.' Wait for the ZL1 1LE." LOL

What metrics does Motor Trend claim the GT350R is a better car than the Zl1? Performance? Cost? What? I watched the Video? Comical how people use motor trend to justify an opinion.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Apache driver, in enjoyment. A Veyron is faster than a mclaren f1. There's no question which one is more enjoyable to drive

BlownAway03

Established Member
Screenshot_20170604-174030.jpg

Notice that the SS 1LE ran the same time as the GT350R. I think theres something to be said about that. And also, if you watch the Ignition episode with the ZL1, the same white car ran a 1:26. I know the saying different days, different this and that, but for Randy to be almost 2 seconds slower in the same car on the same track seems odd. I personally think they were biased towards the R and didnt want to display a 2 second gap between it and the ZL1. In the Ignition episode they were praising Camaro like no other and in the Head to Head the attitude was a lot more meh. The R could possibly be faster too, but I'm just going off the results I've seen for sure.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
There was a link posted to the written review of this test. Randy explained why the ZL1 was faster the last time around the same track. Basically, the track had more grip from some sticky rubber being laid down from some races the weekend prior to the ZL1's run. The track was "clean" this time around, hence the slower time. If the R had been run on that previous test, it might very well have eclipsed the ZL1.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Why the comparison between the Zl1 and not a GT350? The ZL1 is faster than a 350R, what the hell do you think the 1LE is gonna do to a 350R?

Because the standard GT350 isn't the top dog, maybe? Why compare Ford's second best Mustang to Chevy's best Camaro? The 1LE wasn't even a thing when this comparo was planned.

You Camaro boys are reaching hard. When the ZL1 was first released, Chevy and y'all proclaimed it the bestestezzz Camaro evaaaarrr. Now that they've announced the 1LE version, you've changed your tune to "the ZL1 is just a GT cruiser." L-O-L The ZL1, whichever version you want to throw out there, is not even the direct competitor to the GT350/GT350R. You have to have sense enough to realize that, right?

Don't worry. Motor Trend has the ZL1 1LE in this year's Best Driver's Car competition and they're going gaga all over it. It will no doubt take the win. That should make you Camaro boys feel vindicated.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
GT PREMI reaching hard. Lol.

Its okay man, you still have one BAD machine. Best thing, which is the one thing the ZL1 wont have, is its exclusivity. But yes, the ZL1 did just beat the R at its own game, the road course. Not to mention making a better daily driver and lets not forget the raping in the highway.

BlownAway03

Established Member
Because the standard GT350 isn't the top dog, maybe? Why compare Ford's second best Mustang to Chevy's best Camaro? The 1LE wasn't even a thing when this comparo was planned.

You Camaro boys are reaching hard. When the ZL1 was first released, Chevy and y'all proclaimed it the bestestezzz Camaro evaaaarrr. Now that they've announced the 1LE version, you've changed your tune to "the ZL1 is just a GT cruiser." L-O-L The ZL1, whichever version you want to throw out there, is not even the direct competitor to the GT350/GT350R. You have to have sense enough to realize that, right?

Don't worry. Motor Trend has the ZL1 1LE in this year's Best Driver's Car competition and they're going gaga all over it. It will no doubt take the win. That should make you Camaro boys feel vindicated.
You do realize the GT350R completely lost on every performance metric except subjective opinion, right? ZL1 is faster on the road course, better on the road, and a hell if a lot faster in a straight line. Oh, but the GT350 does have that sweet exhaust note (sarcasm). And I'm sorry. I'm not buying MT's explanation. The same ZL1 ran 2 seconds faster with the same driver on a different day. I think there was bias in the Head to Head episode and showing the GT350R getting gapped by 2 seconds wasn't in their plan. Ive seen the video episode not just read the article. That's why I have this opinion.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... And I'm sorry. I'm not buying MT's explanation. The same ZL1 ran 2 seconds faster with the same driver on a different day. I think there was bias in the Head to Head episode and showing the GT350R getting gapped by 2 seconds wasn't in their plan. Ive seen the video episode not just read the article. That's why I have this opinion.

I've seen the video AND read the article. You're not "buying" the explanation because you don't want to believe that the R is that close to the ZL1. I can't figure out why you guys are having a hard time swallowing the results. The R is almost 200 lbs lighter with wider tires. It's obviously going to be better than the ZL1 in the corners, which, if you would actually read the damned article, you would see that the graph shows the R was killing the ZL1 in the turns. The only turns where the ZL1 had an advantage were the ones that weren't much more than a kink in the road. So, basically, the ZL1 had the cornering advantage in two spots on the track. Soo... I guess that's ONE performance metric where the R bested the ZL1. And when it comes to drivers/track cars, isn't that the most important one?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... But yes, the ZL1 did just beat the R at its own game, the road course. ...

Barely, but yes. Still not as fun to drive, though. I bought my R for the fun factor. My dick is big enough that I don't have to be concerned about the ZL1 being faster than me in a straight line. I literally don't care. I'm a curves man. If a ZL1 driver wants to call me out, I still have my GT500 I can roll out of the garage to see what's what.

apache driver

Established Member
Apache driver, in enjoyment. A Veyron is faster than a mclaren f1. There's no question which one is more enjoyable to drive

Never driven either one
Barely, but yes. Still not as fun to drive, though. I bought my R for the fun factor. My dick is big enough that I don't have to be concerned about the ZL1 being faster than me in a straight line. I literally don't care. I'm a curves man. If a ZL1 driver wants to call me out, I still have my GT500 I can roll out of the garage to see what's what.

I've owned my 03 Cobra since 2004 and still own it. Your butt hurt that a stock camaro ZL1 can out run your 350R is your issue not mine. What exactly does your GT500 have to do with this conversation?

Users who are viewing this thread