GT500 > 04 SVT Cobra...why?

Lord Warlock

Established Member
I know many would interpret this question as either abused repeatedly on the site...or see the obvious hp figures and make your own guess.

Lately, I've had an urge to trade in my 04 cobra for a GT500, (2009 or 2010..doesn't matter) and its recent (as in now) trip to the ford mechanic shop to do a tranny replacement has got me wondering even more...considering the sales lot has 3 shelby gt500s in stock, including one vista blue and silver stripes which is probably the shade i'd pick from last year. Anyway I'm not trying to pick fights here, i'm trying to gain an understanding of why shelby owners like their GT500s as compared to the 03/04 cobras.

In my case, i've been driving a mustang with the older body style for about 6 years in a row, and i prefer the newer shape over the old. I've heard people say that the interior is better in the newer versions, more supportive etc - mine is just black inside...everywhere...(black/black) and has very little style to it, function yes, style no.
I've wanted to own a shelby since i was about 15, i'm now 48 and the dream isn't getting any closer today than it was two years ago, if i'm going to buy one, now is the time. I doubt my 04 cobra will ever be worth more than it is today-as it comes out of the shop with a new t56 transmission, so it may be time to trade it in. I'm not upside down in the car, i should be ahead by about 4-5k. I'll have to sell one of my other hobby cars to make the downpayment on the shelby, i rarely use the other car so it won't bother me that much, but it will only get me about another 5-10k to invest in the new car. If i can drop 10k on it, i think i can get the payments into the same range that i make on the 04 cobra, so it shouldn't hurt much financially to do it. Insurance won't be any more that i know of.

I just hate to trade one car in that performs almost on par with the gt500 stock, just because i'm getting a bit tired of looking at the same shape. I've been getting the itch to modify the cobra, but have held off so far...since i'm being tempted to trade it in, i figure why modify to get 50hp when i can buy a new car that has 100 hp more.

Will the shelby put the urge for new car out of my mind for another 5 to 6 years? or am i gonna have to go get a challenger or barf ...a camaro instead? At least the days of high admins on Shelby's appear to be over now, and getting credit isn't an issue, just arranging the downpayment to get the payments where i prefer them to be...car sized instead of mortgage sized.

Thanks for the input, i'd like to hear what you prefer on your shelby over the older 04, looking forward to seeing the answers...and yes i've already searched back thru the topics and read what i could. I wasn't ready 3 months ago, I'm more ready now...

Lord Warlock:read:

I think the GT500 is a gorgeous car. Who really cares about the value these cars hold. Wait another year and watch how ridiculously low the prices will be on the 07 and 08 GT500s with the new GT500 showing up now. I'm going to run my 03 into the ground but when she waves goodbye, I will be thrilled as I pick up an 07 Gt500 with under 20k for very low $30s. Being patient is prudent. I feel bad for these fools paying between $40k - $40k for GT500s. The cars aren't worth the price and a little restraint will yield a remarkable deal.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
They are both great cars. I picked the shelby over the 03-04's because the power potential and the way the car handles. Many of the 03-04 cobra owners don't like the body style of the newer (05-09) and frankly I agree with them, but not when it comes down to the GT500. The engine is better, the transmission is better, the interior is much better, the only thing the shelby lacks in comparison to the 03-04 is traction and throttle response. The shelby is upgradable to 605 warranted HP and capable of 700rwhp with a blower pushing only 16psi.

Last edited:

Zeke0123

Established Member
I think the GT500 is a gorgeous car. Who really cares about the value these cars hold. Wait another year and watch how ridiculously low the prices will be on the 07 and 08 GT500s with the new GT500 showing up now. I'm going to run my 03 into the ground but when she waves goodbye, I will be thrilled as I pick up an 07 Gt500 with under 20k for very low $30s. Being patient is prudent. I feel bad for these fools paying between $40k - $40k for GT500s. The cars aren't worth the price and a little restraint will yield a remarkable deal.
fools really...so someone who can afford 50k for a car and another 10k for mods on a toy is a fool because what....he has money or because he does what he wants with that money??

Joshua484

Established Member
I own both cars. A black 03 coupe, 1st production run, with 5k miles on it and an 07 GT500. The GT500 is a bigger, more comfortable car, and the styling looks killer. The engine is better, the transmission is better, the chassis is better... there is a LOT to like about the GT500....with that said...."IF" I had to sell one or the other, the immaculate 03 would not be going anywhere.....

que4dog

Established Member
...I'm going to run my 03 into the ground but when she waves goodbye, I will be thrilled as I pick up an 07 Gt500 with under 20k for very low $30s. Being patient is prudent. I feel bad for these fools paying between $40k - $40k for GT500s. The cars aren't worth the price and a little restraint will yield a remarkable deal...

When the 07's were purchased in 06 & 07, they were worth $50+. You can not come on here years later and call them fools because prices are coming down on a car that is almost 3 years old.

I owned both. If you are able to purchase a GT500, you would not be disappointed.

Last edited:

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
If your Term is unmodded you should come out good selling to an individual on here.
Modded cars are taking a beating.

Good luck.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
If you like the 2010 style, I would probably wait until 2011 with the aluminum block. But what you should really do is whatever makes YOU happy.

Willie2

Established Member
youre itching for something new anyway.....so get it.
the cobra is still stock so the stock GT500 wont feel slow.....so get it.
the insurance on my cobra is more than on my shelby....so get it.

Willie2

Established Member
I own both cars. A black 03 coupe, 1st production run, with 5k miles on it and an 07 GT500. The GT500 is a bigger, more comfortable car, and the styling looks killer. The engine is better, the transmission is better, the chassis is better... there is a LOT to like about the GT500....with that said...."IF" I had to sell one or the other, the immaculate 03 would not be going anywhere.....

is your GT500 done?...i got the impression its still at evo. driving it may change your mind :burnout:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I remember when the 03's came out..................

First factory S/C'ed Mustang in history, first 390h.p., biggest factory h.p. in Mustang history, huge hype, lots of people paying way over MSRP.

So..........now a few years later, would it have been prudent for someone to wait for a worn out '03 or '04 and prices well into the teens??

I would assume that owners of nice original well preserved 03's and 04's are holding out for the larger $$$ at sale time, and it is the well used/worn out examples that can be had at bargin prices in most cases.

I guess I look at muscle cars a little different. I don't want something that someone else has "rode hard and put away wet" just so I can say I saved a few thousand. But on the other hand, I am not one to pay huge amounts over MSRP either.

R

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I traded a pristine 10th Anniversary Cobra for my GT500. All I can say is that GT500 > Terminator for obvious reasons. :burnout:
Now is a great time to pick up a GT500. :coolman:

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
fools really...so someone who can afford 50k for a car and another 10k for mods on a toy is a fool because what....he has money or because he does what he wants with that money??

ya, don't get that guy. perhaps he's got no money and prefers to wait
not me, wanted one and got one, screw that prudent shit

as for the O/P...I suggest you drive one kick the tires, etc
you will know as I did, if this is the car for you

FYI- I just finished spending 18 k on my other car (mods) 4 months
before finding/needing/wanting my 09:nonono:

shit happens, until I drove one, I didn't realize how much I had to have 1;-)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i came from an 03 cobra, an traded in to get the GT500, the only thing i can say i miss is the IRS, but other than that, the GT500 is a great car, an has alot more power than my 03 did even modded.

Steve2050

Established Member
I want a GT500 also but I bought a 03 six months ago. The price for a new 09 GT500 in Canada is $44k(coupe). I'm just playing with numbers to see if it's better to sell the 03 private or trade in to a dealer. BTW, do the 07-up GT500's have issues like the Terminators ie, clunks, head tick, wot meltdown?

Lord Warlock

Established Member
Good Points all.

The 03/04 sold over sticker here in florida up till the last few units sold, and they went out at msrp. I watched as the dealer sold their last mystichrome, as i was at the lot looking at it.

If the shelby is like the 03/04 was, it won't be dropping in resale value near as much as those who want to wait would prefer, and if they follow trends like most top shelf musclecars at the time, they'll never drop into the cellar. I already own my musclecar, I still have my 1st car sitting out back, and its a nice one to keep. (69 Charger R/T SE) the 03/04 has the potential to be collectible, the shelby's will definitely be collectors...if for nothing else than the fact that Old shelby will probably pass on within the next 10 years.
I do have issues on spending 40k on a car. Thats almost what my first house cost me, and i had friends at the time with cars that cost more. Didn't make sense then, still doesn't make much sense now...except for the fact that I'm kind of tired of settling for what someone else picked out, I'd like to do that once. I thought the cobra would satisfy the urge back in 05 when i bought my 04.

I'm keeping my eyes open at the Daytona Florida lot that continues to sell shelby's at pretty low prices new. Found three for 38k last month, if they come up with that price again when i have cash in pocket for a downpayment...there would probably be a shelby in the garage. I'd be more apt to keep a shelby forever than the terminator. Even though the term will likely be rarer in 20 years.

Getting a chance to drive one isn't as easy as it sounds, the dealers around here won't let you drive them unless you are ready to put down the cash that day. I've told them i won't buy one un-driven, (bought the cobra after one test drive)and told them to call me if they get a used one, or one that they won't mind adding 5 miles to. Finding someone that CAN buy one is the hard part today, but alot of us who can aren't always the quickest pulling the trigger on large monetary outlays. I plan on attending one of the local mustang club meets in the hopes i can get an owner to let me either drive or at least ride in one.

Money is just a tool, how you use it is up to you. Those that get their toys at 50k tend to enjoy them just as much as those who get them at 30k or even 20k, only they get to ride in fresh mounts, and most end up selling them for something else so don't lose that much on the investment. I'd rather drive the car in its first 30k than its last 30k, for most of my life i've been driving them in the middle 30k. I'm sure those that paid the admins don't really care that much, if you wanted the shelby then, that was what you had to pay. Times are a bit different today than they were in 2007, now should be a good time (between now and september most likely) to buy a shelby, the 04 is still fairly low miles for a dd.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread