Gt500 08 Dream becomes a nightmare.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

blowbye

Bangin gears
Established Member
Buy this, sell the trans for $2,500, sell the blower head for $500. Your block has value to a guy wanting a sleeved block, maybe $400. It looked like your heads were OK?, used heads are selling for $1,500 +/-

You can get her going again, but gonna have to work it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-2009-...ash=item25e6d8eb68:g:39oAAOSwbtNaI2M9&vxp=mtr
Those heads are not fine... At the very least he will need new valves and the seats recut.
If you want to fix the car or sell it pm me. Either way. I have an engine to sell if your interested.

sono

Established Member
2 ways to spin this. Either it's a chance to put a built block in at some point or you can cut your losses. Seems like you lose big if you sell at this point.
It's past tense now, but in the future compression checks are a must on sports cars , boats, atv's etc. Also we all like mods, but buying a modded car is not the same.

sorry,

sleek98

Established Member
You put 20k miles on the car in a few months? That in itself is impressive. I didnt catch the fuel rails at first, but those with the alum IC tank, long tubes, and the hood make me think it had a large KB or Whipple on it and the stock blower got thrown back on to sell.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You put 20k miles on the car in a few months? That in itself is impressive. I didnt catch the fuel rails at first, but those with the alum IC tank, long tubes, and the hood make me think it had a large KB or Whipple on it and the stock blower got thrown back on to sell.
This car is a textbook example of "I'm putting it [mostly] back to stock so I can sell it." That's why I say be very leary of buying cars like the GT500 that are "stock" after all these years, especially if it's had multiple owners. Just buy it with the mods. You'll have a better chance of knowing what's up with it.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

merkyworks

Established Member
Also look at the spark plug insulators, they are all orange in color. I thought that only happens when you run a lot of Torco through the engine.

Tighteyes

Established Member
mind you i washed
I can appreciate ur want and desire to own a GT 500 but if ur barely making enough money to pay rent cars can and will suck the life out of u! this is NOT a cheap hobby and expensive cars have expensive repairs.

sell the car as a roller and cut ur losses. there is no win for u now. tough and expensive lesson to learn but them are expensive motors to either buy or replace and if u can't turn a wrench urself u will be WAY upside down with this.

after replacing the motor which will require another tune add $500-$800 to that. it has to be installed as well so add another $1000-$1500 to RR. ur looking at $10-$15k on the very low side and thats only if u find a used motor and who knows what problems that might bring u.
to late...I already went ahead and forked over the funds "Pro Dyno" Dan is going to save my life i can feel it.

Tighteyes

Established Member
All of this sounds about right. Water from the hood ect. It was discovered to have had a rod bearing changed in it. I bought it site unseen from what i thought was a reputable dealer.

Tighteyes

Established Member
This car is a textbook example of "I'm putting it [mostly] back to stock so I can sell it." That's why I say be very leary of buying cars like the GT500 that are "stock" after all these years, especially if it's had multiple owners. Just buy it with the mods. You'll have a better chance of knowing what's up with it.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Yesir you are correct but in the past I have had no issues this is my first in a long line of cobra's My 03 was purchased for 15k it was brand new built dss motor with 3.4 whipple. Pro dyno had confirmed a kenne belle was on the car and the damage was caused by multiple issues, The boost bypass was plugged up instead of being connected. Water from the hood making its way down into the motor. And the heads are being completely rebuilt and ported. I figured we only live once and LIVE A DREAM DAMNIT!! So New motor build time.....

Tighteyes

Established Member
This yes, A large kb was on the car , mechanic confirmed it after breaking the entire motor down, found a brand new rod bearing. So must of spun it, changed it swapped to stock shit tuned it and gave it back. Because it really did run pretty damn awesome.

Tighteyes

Established Member
According to this thread it looks like a GT500 block was used with Lightning 2V heads. If thats the case, a 5.4L 2V block SHOULD work on a GT500 with some modifications to the core plugs.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum/14-gen-2-lightnings/250474-differences-5-4-blocks.html

Jim from JDM appears to have posted in this thread. You may want to give him a call or email and ask his opinion on your options.

http://www.teamjdm.com/contact-us/

If it is indeed true that 2V and 4V iron 5.4L blocks are interchangeble, you may have scored a big win here. There are LITERALLY a metric shit ton of them out there.

If you can confirm and it IS a go, get a 2v 5.4L shortblock. Reassemble and get your car back on the road. Save for a great engine build.

There is hope @Tighteyes, that is the power of the Ford Modular engine. :D :D

On a personal note, my car was hit at the track by a GTR. Crushed the left front and cause 5,000 worth of body and part damage. If it wasnt for my own labor replacing parts, stripping the damaged metal off for the bodyshop and buying all my parts at my cost, its easily a 9,000 repair. All out of pocket since it was from racing.

I was beyond devastated. But the next morning I scoured the internet and found a takoff hood for my car. then I found a source for an OEM fender, k member, suspension parts... I bought a few items off our marketplace forum to help with the build.

I got motivated to see my dream car repaired CORRECTLY. No cut corners, just savvy parts allocation and a body shop that was willing to work with me.

You can do this man, even if you arent turning the wrench. If this is your dream car, fight to keep it and it will mean that much more to you when shes done.
YOU INSPIRED ME TO BRING HER TO LIFE! A motor is being built as we are speaking. april-may The dream may live again!! I bought jdm street cams from a user on this forum. I plan on buying a bigger blower and injectors ID1050x

kwarnerjr

Established Member
Man, reading this got me angry that anyone would pass off such an unhealthy car as “above market price” quality.

Best of luck. When it’s up and running you’ll like the car that much more because of the effort you put in to revive her.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread