Gt500 08 Dream becomes a nightmare.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Good choice OP. The iron motors can be built/rebuilt for FAR FAR less than the aluminum.

It is unfortunate that someone took the easy way out and you now have to suffer, but the end result will be fantastic.

BladeX10

Established Member
Damn, Whoever owned that car before is a scumbag. Sounds like he did just enough for it to be able to drive to the dealership for a trade in.

Tighteyes

Established Member
I offered him a complete 30k shortblock for $2k but it seems hes gonna go built. Built bottom, ported heads, big blower. This thing is gonna move!
THANK YOU EVERYONE THANK YOU FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT AND GUIDANCE!! I will keep you posted and have pictures as the build progresses.
and this could be an option still to get the car and sell it to buy a fox body to drop this 5.4 in it....but i do love the shelby., but i figured sell everything i own firearm wise. Done shooting time to drive....... well at least most of em. I have to many.

Tighteyes

Established Member
Read this

http://www.fordmuscle.com/?p=719201

And email me at [email protected] if you want to know more.

bj
I read this article a thousand times before I even thought of rebuilding I was going to go with the kit you guys provided but everything had to be built from top to bottom.......Nothing was reusable the heads are a iffy. I will e-mail you sir! just for advice and guidance I am posting my quote now...maybe you can tell me if its worth a #@$@

Tighteyes

Established Member
Tell me if i messed up here.

page 1.jpg page2.jpg Here is the estimate I was given and have started the build so far.....Hope its right.
I think subtotal 15400....so you can bank on 17.

Last edited:

Tighteyes

Established Member
Have you considered shopping around for the parts and having the shop just do the work?
Work consumes 15hrs of my life a day. I get 1 day off a week which I was driving the Shelby now i hibernate and dream of the day it runs again. I was considering taking my time over years and buy used parts, but we never know when we will have the opportunity to have a motor built by a shop, or if we will wake up the next day. So I pulled the trigger knew I was keeping the car after the bad news since its still underpayments. I then spoke and thought why just spend 8 to 10k on a used long block and pay for all that labor when in all reality I want a street driven monster..........You all inspire me!! But i did buy a set of JDM Super street cams from a user online for a reasonable price but had to buy the springs separately. So I hope the ferrea springs work well with it. I also figured while building as we grew this figure to this number over time....I would read something or watch something about someones motor breaking. I would upgrade. h beam to the I beam. Then to the heavy springs , then was like if you are rebuilding my head why not sending it off for porting.

12boss302

Established Member
Reading this broke my heart man, I’m so sorry. I can’t offer you much, but I am willing to help. I have a 66mm L&M TB that was a take off from my build, if you want, it’s yours. Just shoot me a PM and I’ll get it sent out to you. Best of luck with everything that you got. I’ll keep an eye out for more parts that I have.

sleek98

Established Member
^^ really cool

OP shop around a little... That is too expensive!

It’s actually not horrible with the complete r and r of the engine itself. Jdm quoted me 15k just for an assembled iron long block with cams using my heads. No porting or shipping to me. Let alone complete install.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Those prices are insane.

I'd be happy to labor the project myself if it means saving $10k.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Very true sir, but to have the car dropped off, diagnosed and delivered repaired sometimes requires a little extra in the financial department.

Sounds like OP is in good hands

Tighteyes

Established Member
Very true sir, but to have the car dropped off, diagnosed and delivered repaired sometimes requires a little extra in the financial department.

Sounds like OP is in good hands
And also Labor isnt anything its the knownledge and ability to know what parts go together well to make huge horsepower and Dan At pro dyno has proven time and time again that he knows his shit or the streets wouldnt be covered in Pro dyno Wrapped cars. You say 10k in labor? I see 5k. Parts alone are running me at 9,000 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread