GT500 accident

Brad_GT500

Established Member
I was traveling home and a bridge on the interstate had iced over. I came to almost a complete stop before crossing the bridge behind all the other cars. I got about halfway over the bridge, before I saw a car flying up in my rearview mirror. The car was not slowing down and then it hit the ice. The car then came sliding across the ice and slammed right into the back of my GT500. I couldnt move in time due to the ice and I just watched and took the hit.. my neck is sore and I still have a headache, but who cares about me... MY SHELBY!! I was real upset. The grey honda looks like it hit a brick wall. My car actually slid when it took the hit. The rear bumper popped out on the side and the bumper flexed most of the hit. Im not sure of all the damage underneath. My drivers side exhaust pipe is bent to the ground and my bumper is scratched up but its not terrible. Im really lucky on the damage compared to her car. The insurance has contacted me and I am still waiting on the accident report to be entered in to fix it.

860be2244a3569ae14ec8566f405c676.jpg
c4cec52cba096917cce3a91653b90772.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MastaAce03

Established Member
Sucks man. Get the most expensive quote you can and mod up with the remaining money after getting it fixed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Did she finish her text before she slammed into you?

Sorry to hear about the Shelby, hopefully the insurance company treats you right.

Good luck.

Brad_GT500

Established Member
Thanks for the replys. Never had an accident, so im not sure what all to do. Her insurance company has already contacted me. I guess they are still waiting for the accident report to be entered in. Should I ask for them to inspect it at a shop and then get them to cut me a check ? Or do you think they will get it inspected and then pay directly to the shop?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
Sorry to hear man. Get checked out, get a high quote and mod after the fix. Ppl need to slow down on icy roads.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Terrible luck, but it doesn't look TOO bad. If you had to pick an area to get hit, the rear bumper is the least obtrusive, and easier to repair, than a front end hit (air bags deploying, radiator support, shock towers...).

One thing you might want to consider is that you will now have a "mark" on your Car Fax. Take lots of pics to document this accident repair, so when you go to sell the car in the future, you can assure the next buyer that this damage was all cosmetic in nature!

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Dude... glad you didn't get killed. You need to see a doctor ASAP, file a police report, stop talking to the other person and stop talking to their insurance company. Get a lawyer, ASAP.

Had a similar situation about 25 years ago. 20 months after I get rear-ended, I was served. Seems the guy who drove into the back of my car was suing me for over $250k, claiming the accident was my fault. Claimed I was driving too slow, obstructing the flow of traffic, and claimed I pulled in front of him to cause an accident.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Most of all, glad to hear you weren't hurt seriously. Man, your GT-500 is built "Ford Tough".

Unless it doesn't matter to you, be sure you get to select what shop looks at your car and does the repair work. Also, follow Travis' advise and see a doctor to get checked out. Especially since you're experiencing neck pain. Having a report of after-accident pain can be important IF in a week or so you're experiencing new or the same pain in your neck or even back. A doctor report that connects your neck pain with your accident is important. I myself had this happen and followed advice to see a doctor the next day. That doctor visit documentation helped when a week later pain developed in my neck.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Do not talk to the other parties I insurance , let yours do the talking .
But you make the final decision.
It might be a good time to look into an accident attorney, not that you will need them, but better to have a good one ready.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Damage probably looks worse than it is. Take to a reputable body shop and let them determine whats damaged and what isnt. I can personally attest that you fared far better getting it as you did than in the front. ( front bumer cover, fender, inner fender apron, hood, k member, control arm, body jig alignment, paint etc...)

As others have said, let your ins deal with this on your behalf. State your demands and let them do their job.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
As said get yourself checked out. Sometimes things take a while to pop up. Then do not take what their insurance offers. They will say oh it is just the bumper cover and tailpipe and give you little. Find a good body shop and have the entire car checked over. You do not know what may have gotten tweaked underneath there.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Glad you weren't seriously injured. Another vote for getting the body shop to check it out as the damage can always be more than meets the eye.

barspen

Established Member
Glad you are OK. These things happen but they are such a PITA to deal with. Goods advice from the folks on the forum. I was in a accident last year (similar hit, but worse damage) and I have learned a lot.

Here's just a few things I'd recommend:

1) Get checked out by a doctor if you are hurt. Whiplash sucks and there is also potential of head injuries, which are worse. Something can show up weeks or moths later. Take care of yourself.
2) Don't just "settle" with the insurance company. They will low-ball you to the point it may be insulting and wont even cover the cost of a few X-rays. Most health insurance companies wont pay of injures in a car accident, so you will be left with some hefty bills. Keep your receipts!
2) If the injuries are bad enough, get a lawyer. They get some coin for helping out, but they also take a lot of work off your plate...and trust me, if there are injuries that require medial attention it will be work for you.
3) Separate from the injury, you can ask for diminished value. GT500 are limited runs, so there is some collectibility.
4) Keep any receipts for car rental, towing, etc. You should be getting your money back on these items.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. No training in this stuff, but I have been going through the claim process for 7-months now. It can be long and tedious.

Good luck!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
if you mentioned diminished value they will try to laugh that off. just mention seeking a lawyer and that will stop the lols on their end.

every state is different when it comes to car accidents/insurance. here, you have the right to take it to any shop of your choosing for repairs. then the shop and the insurance company fight over the repairs. since you were rear ended, you should be able to insist on oem parts. some companies try to get away with just aftermarket parts. again, mention lawyer lol. also, here in ca, if you are still making payments on the car, then they cut the check out directly to the shop or both you and the shop. if you own the car outright, then they will often make it out to you. but that's CA rules/practices.

insurance companies try to save $ on paying out claims as much as possible without dicking you over. but theyre also afraid you'll get a lawyer and the cost of the claim doubling or even tripling. lawyers have a way of making that happen. a lawyer will take 30-40% of the recovery but they'll also make that recovery waaaay higher than it would be without them. in reality, that will only happen if their is personal injury. otherwise, there's no real money for them to make. my mom was rear ended a couple of months ago and had some minor neck pain. it was a minor fender bender. just bumper damage. she talked to a lawyer and he said it just wasnt enough of an accident for him to get involved. so if you want them to get involved, expect to exaggerate your "soft tissue pain".

Recon

Established Member
Glad to hear you're ok. Hopefully the Shelby will be back on the road soon.
I would've lost my friggin mind if someone hit my car.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread