GT500 and the Z06

Formula51

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Who leaves their car stock? Most anyone that your'e going to get to drag race on the street or at the strip has modifications. Start doing basic bolt ons and the GT500>Base Vette all day long.

Absolutely.

bunk22

Established Member
Yellow Horse said:
WTF? You are telling me what I should like? I am a fan of Ford. I do not like Chevy and I do not like the way the C6 looks and I am not alone. Even C5 owners have said they do not like the C6.

So it's your opinion but you're using the opinion of some C5 owners to justify your opinion? What about the C6 owners and former C5 owners who like the C6? :D :D

Yellow Horse said:
Bang for the buck, I think that should include what is attainable to the average middle class person and not many can buy a $80k car.

Agreed, not many average joes can but a basic C6 can be had for about the cost of a GT500. Bang for the buck, it wold not be with the ability of a power adder car to gain horses with minimal mods. If this is the case, bang for the buck, going for your idea of a cheap car and mod it, makes more sense.

Yellow Horse said:
I would rather get a C5 and build a 426 with a turbo that would leave a C6 Z06 sucking ass and looks a helluva lot better. I think a Shelby and the little money it takes to get 600 reliable rwhp is a better bang for the buck for the average guy. I also think the SN97 looks better than a vette in Shelby, Roush or Saleen versions.

What happens when the C6 Z06 does the same type of build-up and its owner thinks it looks better? How do we know 600rwhp is reliable and if it's not, can the average guy afford to replace or rebuild the engine when it goes south? Also, what is an SN97? Never heard of that one.

Yellow Horse said:
Oh, by the way, I'm close to 50 and with an income well above middle class and I could plop down for a C6 Z anytime I want one. I'm not even going to buy a SHelby. After owning three Cobras and gutting the crap out of all three and replacing almost averything that made them SVT, I'm going to buy a used V6 SN96 and build my own with a 347-383 stroker with a KB on my own intake fabbed out of aluminum and TIG welded. If I did receive a vette by winning a raffle or soemthing I'd have it up for sale the same day.

Now, who asked about your income? Maybe I missed it but often those who brag, don't have quite as much as they brag about. Just an observation and opinion. Afterall, can't we have opinions?

Oh yeah, what is an SN96? Never heard of that one either. I've heard of the SN95, the original designation of the 94-up stangs but never an SN96 or SN97. I'm just curious. By the way, good luck with the raffle and win. Being you're so well off, you should donate that to charity. That would be nice ;-)

05GTOguy

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Who leaves their car stock? Most anyone that your'e going to get to drag race on the street or at the strip has modifications. Start doing basic bolt ons and the GT500>Base Vette all day long.

Then it's whoever throws more $$ into that car. Add a SC to a C6, some consider it a bolt on and lay waste to GT500's.

Or just buy an older 5.0, built it up and smoke both cars for a fraction of the price new. Point is if you want to fairly compare 2 cars, you do it with how they leave the factory.

Fourcam330

Established Member
05GTOguy said:
Then it's whoever throws more $$ into that car. Add a SC to a C6, some consider it a bolt on and lay waste to GT500's.

Let's add a dose of reality to this statement. A supercharger is not a bolt on, and you still have cast pistons/rods to deal with. To put it another way, dollar per dollar invested in either car, the GT500 will continually come out on top.

Or just buy an older 5.0, built it up and smoke both cars for a fraction of the price new. Point is if you want to fairly compare 2 cars, you do it with how they leave the factory.

LOL, in your world maybe. Like I said, I don't know anyone who leaves their car stock, most speed junkies go the bolt on route, others go further and spend even more $. Factory forced induction is a wonderful thing, and while the vette is a great car it simply can't keep up in this regard--think of a mildly modified 03/04 vs. a like C5.

Last edited:

eci

Banned
whitecobra2387 said:
it is the cream of the crop, best mustang you can buy now!!! How happy does it make you feel that gt 500 is slower than z06 big deal you have faster car good job wow

I hate saleen's because they look like riceboy cars, but the "E" is the best Mustang you can buy right now. A GT500 cannot handle the Saleen E stock for stock.

eci

Banned
dgussin1 said:
ummm...evolution ran 10.40 @ 133 w/ 596rwhp...and you are a douchebag for starting this thread btw.

Evolution built a drag car. I want to see someone get the GT500 into the 10's in full street config other than slicks in the back. No drag suspension, no skinnies, no gutted interior, etc.

Fourcam330

Established Member
eci said:
I hate saleen's because they look like riceboy cars, but the "E" is the best Mustang you can buy right now. A GT500 cannot handle the Saleen E stock for stock.

Until the E chucks a PM rod through the block.

Fourcam330

Established Member
eci said:
Evolution built a drag car. I want to see someone get the GT500 into the 10's in full street config other than slicks in the back. No drag suspension, no skinnies, no gutted interior, etc.

MD's perilously close with a vert and only a handful of mods. Wait until next spring when the tracks open, we'll see what these cars are really capable of then.

SlowSVT

Established Member
eci said:

You can hardly call any Saleen "stock". Saleen will take a "stock" car and apply bolt-on's just like any weekend racer will do. The only difference is that Saleens are bought by rich kids who don't want to get their hands dirty or don't have the knowlege to do it themselves and would rather pay someone else.

I would take a GT500 over anything Roush or Saleen offers. It's a better base to work from.

1BADGT500

***Back-In-Black***
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
You can hardly call any Saleen "stock". Saleen will take a "stock" car and apply bolt-on's just like any weekend racer will do. The only difference is that Saleens are bought by rich kids who don't want to get their hands dirty or don't have the knowlege to do it themselves and would rather pay someone else.

I would take a GT500 over anything Roush or Saleen offers. It's a better base to work from.
+1:rockon:

Formula51

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
MD's perilously close with a vert and only a handful of mods. Wait until next spring when the tracks open, we'll see what these cars are really capable of then.

They will run 10's with a handful of mods! And it is absolutely disgusting!

415ZR1

Established Member
I have raced a few modded 06 Z06's and they are surprising to say the least. Whats is suprising to me is how much 300 lbs makes a big difference. That's the difference between my 90 ZR-1 (3,440 lbs) and the new Z06 (3,150 lbs)

I raced a modded one on the highway from a 60 mph roll. Same hp (~540 rwhp) each). By the time I was at the top of 4th gear (132 mph) he had me by a car. By the time we got to 175 mph he had me by 4 cars. The only difference is the 300 lbs I was giving away.

Out of the box the GT500 would have a up hill battle to stay close to a new Z06. Guy's, 800+ lbs's is 800+ lbs's. It's like having 2 fat Albert's in the car.

Now with that said, I really like the supercharged 5.4 DOHC motor. As you can see in my sig, I am a sucker for dual overhead cams. Plus, you will be able to get 600 rwhp with minimal mods from the GT500.

I also love the GT500 styling. It looks like a mean car. I am an old Mustang guy back in the fox body days. I have build several (600 + rwhp supercharged fox bodied Mustangs)

I am actually thinking of buying one once the mania is over. It took about 10 months for the new Z06's to go msrp. I would never pay dealer markup's just to have a car first. There are many people that will and I guess thats ok too.

My hats off to Ford for building the GT500. I also am glad that the Zo6 was built. Looks like we are living in the best times when it comes to muscle cars. Gotta love that.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
415ZR1 said:
I have raced a few modded 06 Z06's and they are surprising to say the least. Whats is suprising to me is how much 300 lbs makes a big difference. That's the difference between my 90 ZR-1 (3,440 lbs) and the new Z06 (3,150 lbs)

I raced a modded one on the highway from a 60 mph roll. Same hp (~540 rwhp) each). By the time I was at the top of 4th gear (132 mph) he had me by a car. By the time we got to 175 mph he had me by 4 cars. The only difference is the 300 lbs I was giving away.

Out of the box the GT500 would have a up hill battle to stay close to a new Z06. Guy's, 800+ lbs's is 800+ lbs's.

how bout gearing? does your zr1 and the new z have the same gearing? that would have an effect as well though not as much as the wieght.

also the gt500 is only 700lbs heavier stock or 3850lbs for the coupe without the mach 1000 sound system.

Fourcam330

Established Member
415ZR1 said:

Out of the box the GT500 would have a up hill battle to stay close to a new Z06. Guy's, 800+ lbs's is 800+ lbs's. It's like having 2 fat Albert's in the car.

Now with that said, I really like the supercharged 5.4 DOHC motor. As you can see in my sig, I am a sucker for dual overhead cams. Plus, you will be able to get 600 rwhp with minimal mods from the GT500.

I also love the GT500 styling. It looks like a mean car. I am an old Mustang guy back in the fox body days. I have build several (600 + rwhp supercharged fox bodied Mustangs)

I am actually thinking of buying one once the mania is over. It took about 10 months for the new Z06's to go msrp. I would never pay dealer markup's just to have a car first. There are many people that will and I guess thats ok too.

My hats off to Ford for building the GT500. I also am glad that the Zo6 was built. Looks like we are living in the best times when it comes to muscle cars. Gotta love that.

First, props on the 415 CI 4v. That's badass any way you slice it:thumbsup:

You also have to take into account aerodynamics at that speed, and although I don't have the data in front of me I'd be willing to bet that the C6 Z06 has a smaller frontal area and lower Cd.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
eci said:
wait until sunday, ***ac427cobra edit ****.

415ZR1

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
how bout gearing? does your zr1 and the new z have the same gearing? that would have an effect as well though not as much as the wieght.

also the gt500 is only 700lbs heavier stock or 3850lbs for the coupe without the mach 1000 sound system.

Wow, I didn't know that sound system was 100 lbs.

Gearing did hurt me a little when I went into 5th @ 132 and he was still in fourth. I run 4:09 gears and I think the Z06 has 3:45 gears or somewhere close to that. Even though it's 700 lbs thats still alot to overcome. However, you guys put some exhaust and smaller pulley's with a tune and you might just surprise a few. ;-)

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
415ZR1 said:
Wow, I didn't know that sound system was 100 lbs.

Gearing did hurt me a little when I went into 5th @ 132 and he was still in fourth. I run 4:09 gears and I think the Z06 has 3:45 gears or somewhere close to that. Even though it's 700 lbs thats still alot to overcome. However, you guys put some exhaust and smaller pulley's with a tune and you might just surprise a few. ;-)
:shrug: my shelby weighed 3850 on the scales w/ 3/4 tank and the shaker 1000 installed, full interior, 1 piece driveshaft, stock wheels, no weight reduction.

Users who are viewing this thread