GT500 Engine in a 65 Comet

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
A couple of months ago, I posted on this site in another thread about my 1965 Mercury Comet project that will have the GT500 engine in it. I didn't want to create a project thread until the engine arrived in the shop. Well, it has arrived and so I wanted to post some pics in case people are interested.

Basics of project: 1965 Comet unibody, cut away from the frame, installing an Art Morrison Max G chassis, GT500 engine, T56 tranny (or TR6060 if we can get one in the aftermarket), 18-inch Bonspeed wheels, BFG g-force KDW tires, Alpine stereo system (HU, amp, sub, and speakers), and basically everything else to make the whole deal, other than the body, modern and up-to-date.

The concept of using the GT500 engine was added mid-way through the project -- we originally were going to use the 4.6L 03/04 Mach 1 replacement engine -- and it's going to be fun to have that motor in the car. And, the Art Morrsion chassis means that the car will be able to handle the HP and torque of the engine.

I'll probably limit updates to this thread to engine-specific stuff (given that this is a GT500 forum), but I thought I'd start it off with a bunch of pics of the project to date. Full updates can be found at the project thread on the pro-touring site:
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18856

Anyway, I've really enjoyed the input from the pro-touring guys over at the other site, and it would be great to get the views from the GT500 guys over here.

Thanks,
Josh

Car when it first arrived:

After blasting:

Modified custom hood (scoops are functional):

Art Morrison chassis:

Wilwood 6-piston brakes (13 inch front and 12.19 inch rear):

Working on the chassis:

Subwoofer mockup:

New wheels and tires:

Rear view:

GT500 Engine!!! Photo 1:

Engine Photo 2:

mosconiac

Established Member
Man oh man this is gonna be killer. Awesome mix of old school & new school. I can't wait to see the finished product!

ELITE1

addicted to SVTP
Established Member
subscribed to this thread for sure. That is going to be bad ass, can't wait to see the end result.

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
Thanks for all the kind words. I really appreciate all the input, and it helps keep the motivation going for what has been a long project.

Mikesan -- The car is going to be painted black, which should look great with all the chrome trim that we're keeping. Below is a pic of a rendering that was done early in the project. The rendering is not exact (for example, we're using slightly different wheels), but it gives a good idea of the concepts for the look of the project. Of course, I'll need to find a pinkish wall to park in front of if I want the real thing to match the rendering!

Finally, we got more pics of the engine and I'll try to post them later today.

Thanks again everyone,
Josh

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
commando said:
Nice. I'm sure you'll surprise a few unsuspecting chevy owners at the stoplight with this one.

Commando -- you got that right! Two things I'm looking forward to once the car is done: (1) Having a Corvette pull up next to me and giving him a bit of a surprise (while driving legally, of course) and (2) finding a parked GT500 engine owner, opening both hoods, and snapping a picture of the two engines next to each other.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Josh:

Nice project! :thumbsup:

Do you have a target weight yet?

Keep up the good work! Can't wait for the day it comes to life! :pepper:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
probably one of the most original custom cars ive ever seen. Keep it up man, and keep the pics coming

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Josh:

Nice project! :thumbsup:

Do you have a target weight yet?

Keep up the good work! Can't wait for the day it comes to life! :pepper:

Thanks Bruce. 3,800 pounds would be great, but not likely. Our target is a maximum weight of 2 tons, although it might be a couple hundred pounds more. I know that is a bit porky, but as everyone here knows, the engine isn't exactly the lightest one available! In fact, the engine is 837 pounds as shipped and the frame/chassis is about 800 pounds, so you are getting close to a ton right there. I'll make sure to post final weight when it's all done.

Also, thanks again to everyone for your encouragement. More engine pics to be posted soon.

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
Here are some more photos of the engine, let me know what you think . . . .

Unloading off the truck:

We're going to fit THAT in this car?!?!

Let's give it a try . . . .

Tight squeeze:

Snug fit:

Hope the driver has short legs!

SVT Romeo Niche-Line signature plate:

ingram4868

Established Member
What do they sell the engine for anyway? I can't believe how massive it is. When you open the hood it doesn't look all that big from the top.

Your gonna need some bigger rear tires :rockon:

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
ingram4868 said:
What do they sell the engine for anyway? I can't believe how massive it is. When you open the hood it doesn't look all that big from the top.

Your gonna need some bigger rear tires :rockon:

Thanks Ingram. The rear tires currently are 255s, and we're looking at whether we can go a bit wider without doing any major work -- we could mini-tub, but we're trying to avoid it if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread