GT500 Engine in a 65 Comet

10.5secAWDTALON

Established Member
Interesting project, I always liked the Comets when I was younger.

I understand your choice on the GT 500 motor, but man...the car is going to be heavy and not a rocket anyhow, that motor is a real room hog and a lot weight. I'd have opted for an LS2 personally, hell, GM and Ford can live together. Cool project either way though.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
I understand your choice on the GT 500 motor, but man...the car is going to be heavy and not a rocket anyhow, that motor is a real room hog and a lot weight. I'd have opted for an LS2 personally, hell, GM and Ford can live together. Cool project either way though.

Heavy and not a rocket? I bet this thing is 1000lb less than a GT500 easy. Exactly how is this NOT going to be fast? (Unless it's due to spinning tires...)

Awesome project - keep those pics a comin'! (Are you still updating your primary thread?)

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
Corona, Bruce, and Mike -- thanks for your kind words, the encouragement really makes the (long, long) process much more fun.

I'll try to respond to the other comments:

Originally posted by Ry_Trapp0
love it! the rims are a little big for my taste(the older cars need some rubber!), but it looks hawt!

Thanks Ry_Trapp. I generally agree with your comment about the older cars needing some rubber on the profile of the tires. In fact, that’s why we decided to go with 18 inch wheels and tires with a 45 profile ratio -- instead of the 19, 20, and even 22 inch wheels that you see a lot of these days with super skinny tire profiles. So, I think the look of the wheel/tire combo we selected is a nice balance. But, I respect your opinion, and you make a good point. Thanks!

Originally posted by 10.5secAWDTALON

Thanks for the comments, 10.5. Unfortunately, you are right about the weight -- our guess is that the final weight of the car will be about two tons. There really is no way around it with the weight of the engine and with all of the steel that’s in this car.

So, you might ask, why did we select the GT500 engine if it's so heavy? I provided a full description regarding our choice of the engine earlier in this thread, but here’s the bottom line: The concept was to take an old car and make it the equivalent of a modern, high performance car. Because my favorite looking car of all time is the 1965 Mercury Comet, that’s the old car we selected. As for the engine, we really wanted to stay in the Ford family, and the GT500 engine fit our concept for the project perfectly.

People might question our choices -- I’m sure I’ll hear things like “you could make a much faster car for less money” or “the LS7 beats the 5.4 in all around performance” or “the car is going to be much too heavy.” I don’t necessarily disagree with these types of comments. But, I think that we made the perfect choices for our concept of the project that we wanted to build. While the car is not being built to race (and, if it is raced, it undoubtedly will be outperformed by certain other cars), my guess is that there won’t be another car out there that fits exactly what we set out to do. And that’s the main reason why we decided to the project in the first place (instead of just buying a finished pro-touring car).

Anyway, thanks for your comments and kind words about the project -- and I hope this explains my thinking on the project.

Originally posted by eichisama
Awesome project - keep those pics a comin'! (Are you still updating your primary thread?)

Thanks, eichisama, for the words of encouragement. Yes, I’m continuing to update my primary thread over at pro-touring.com. The link to that thread is: http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18856. There are more pics over there than here, because I’m trying to limit this thread to things like engine pics and overall update pics of the car (because this is a GT500 forum). I’d be happy to post some more specific project update pics in this thread as they happen if people are interested (for example, the folks from Lizard Skin applied their heat and sound protective coatings to the car last week and I should be getting pics soon). But, I don’t want to do so if the moderators here think that things should be limited to GT500-specific stuff.

Thanks again everyone!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
krashy:

I really respect your diplomacy! :thumbsup: But pepole have to understand you're building the car for YOU! To suit YOUR taste. Made to YOUR specifications. With the motor that YOU chose to use. I think the car is an awesome project. You will have a blast with it when you're done. It's a LOT of work as you well know. It takes a LOT of money and time as well as a boat load of patience. My hat's off to you.

People on the internet say the craziest things sometimes. Don't take it personally and don't take offense.

Do what YOU want to do, that's what's important!

Keep up the good work!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

10.5secAWDTALON

Established Member
Heavy and not a rocket? I bet this thing is 1000lb less than a GT500
It will weigh more than a GT500.

A very cool project nontheless though.

I'm not ragging on the engine choice, but I like to see less weight in vehicles, seems everything is gaining weight these days so that was my point about mentioning an LS2.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Heavy and not a rocket? I bet this thing is 1000lb less than a GT500 easy. Exactly how is this NOT going to be fast? (Unless it's due to spinning tires...)

If you look at the fourth pic in the first post you'll see why it's going to be heavier than a GT500.:read:

FWIW

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
The chassis? Really? Huh - I knew it was there, I guess I just didn't realize how heavy it would be. I was thinking there was so much less in this car than a modern one, but I guess not - not with the huge breaks, engine, steel frame, steel body - original seats?, and new stereo...

Still, I love the project. For a while now I've been wanting to get an old '71 fastback (chrome bumper, like the Boss 351) and rebuild it with the full Boss treatment, with an all-new engine like the GT500's, all new suspension, breaks, stereo, etc. Basically the same as this Comet project but with a different body. :) If I were to use the '71 fastback with a motor like the GT500's, do you think the car would need a new chassis like this Comet?

10.5secAWDTALON

Established Member
The chassis? Really? Huh - I knew it was there, I guess I just didn't realize how heavy it would be. I was thinking there was so much less in this car than a modern one, but I guess not - not with the huge breaks, engine, steel frame, steel body - original seats?, and new stereo...

Still, I love the project. For a while now I've been wanting to get an old '71 fastback (chrome bumper, like the Boss 351) and rebuild it with the full Boss treatment, with an all-new engine like the GT500's, all new suspension, breaks, stereo, etc. Basically the same as this Comet project but with a different body. :) If I were to use the '71 fastback with a motor like the GT500's, do you think the car would need a new chassis like this Comet?
A 71 is a nice body IMO, a lot of folks didn't like em, they put on some weight and size that year.

Personally if I was to do a classic Mustang up I'd like to make a Boss 351 clone, motor and all. IMO the Boss 351 was probably the best all around motor offering in the classic Mustangs.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
What's funny to me about the '71 (don't like the changes - however minor - on the '72 & '73) is that without the louvers, wing, and front air dam I *HATE* its looks, but with all three I'm head over heels in love with it. *shrug* I don't know why those little touches matter so much to me - anyone else love/hate the '71 body?

Sorry - didn't mean to derail the thread, you've just reminded me of a project I'd like to do (given a garage). :beer:

BTW - regarding putting on weight/size - isn't the '71 smaller and lighter than the new GT500? What once was large and portly isn't so much anymore. :)

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
IIRC the Boss 351 would be about six to seven hundred pounds lighter than a GT 500.

1971 Boss 351 curb weight 3,452# approximately 400# lighter than a 2007 GT500

1971 Boss 351 330hp approx 280 RWHP

2007 GT500 500 hp approx 430 RWHP

1971 Boss 351 0-60 5.8 seconds

2007 GT500 0-60 4.5 seconds

1971 Boss 351 1/4 mile 13.8

2007 GT500 1/4 mile 12.8 (approx 1 bus length)

FWIW

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Thanks, Bruce! :beer: I wasn't doubting that the GT500 blows away a Boss 351 in every dimension (except looks, being subjective). I was just saying that back then everyone cried how big & heavy the new '71 MY Mustangs were, but compared to the Mustangs of today ('05+) they really aren't that large.

Anyone have a picture of a '68 GT500 next to an '07-08 GT500? I'd love to see the size comparison in the same photo!

10.5secAWDTALON

Established Member
1971 Boss 351 curb weight 3,452# approximately 400# lighter than a 2007 GT500

1971 Boss 351 330hp approx 280 RWHP

2007 GT500 500 hp approx 430 RWHP

1971 Boss 351 0-60 5.8 seconds

2007 GT500 0-60 4.5 seconds

1971 Boss 351 1/4 mile 13.8

2007 GT500 1/4 mile 12.8 (approx 1 bus length)

FWIW

I had no doubt the GT500 was faster, but it seems to me I've seen like 3250 for the weight for the Boss 351. Either way, the Boss 351 was probably the best overall motor in the classic Mustangs.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I had no doubt the GT500 was faster, but it seems to me I've seen like 3250 for the weight for the Boss 351. Either way, the Boss 351 was probably the best overall motor in the classic Mustangs.

The weight is correct. I have it on a "Mustang Model" poster that's been hanging in my garage for 17 years! :-D

If I had to pick my 3 favorite "Mustang" motors they would be:

2000 5.4 Cobra R
1969 Boss 302
1966 Hi-Po 289

I would personally rank the Boss 429 and the 428 Cobra Jet higher than the Boss 351. But that's just my opinion.

krashyman

SVT Engine Only Poster
Established Member
Here are some update pics of the project. The seats obviously are not covered or finished yet, but the photos show where they'll be positioned. Also, the Lizard Skin application (heat and sound insulation) went well. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread