GT500 in the end is it worth it?

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
As the saying goes, Its not a Mustang, its a SHELBY.

That said I love my 11. I was happy with my 08 GT, I had it modded to be a very very fun car, and the look of it was not like many other Mustangs. (Super Shaker S/C, side Exhaust from Magnaflow, 3rd brakelight up in the glass ect...) But in the end, it was not a Shelby, and that is what I wanted. So when the chance came to get a 11, at a very good price, I did it. Now mods later, I have zero remorse. Sure I could have waited and bought a 13, but I am more than happy with the 11.

In Short, life is a journey, and it may be long or short. Enjoy the journey to its fullest.

Ferrcad

Established Member
just remember yea its a Mustang body, but all the mechanics are NOT normal Mustang parts

i was going to order a 2014, but found the exact color combo i wanted across the country, but with a few extra options(in the end i like the extra options).....a few years ago i ordered a car before and waited 4 months...only to cancel the order after it arrived because of a issue with the partictular car...at that point i got frustrated, drove to IL and bought a different car a few days later......i wouldnt order a car again

make sure to tell them not to drill for front license plates

whats the color combo? why couldnt you find it???

ive seen pretty much every combo out there in the past 2 months of searching

Hey Huggy followed your purchase from ebay via Chris... I have on order a 2014 GT500 Convertible with SVTPP, Recaro and Nav for $63,500 before tax, doc fee and title transfer.... Invoice with adv fee was $62919.72 so ruffly 580 over invoice for the car... Got it in deep impact blue minus the stripe... My plan, if I get it, will be to have my cousin put a reflective double stripe up the middle but leave the side off... Did not order the stripe because I did not want white in the interior of seats. My biggest concern is not being able to test drive one and I'm very concern when it comes in that I will not like the car and them I stuck with it...

Last edited:

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
It was for me...but I had been waiting 8 years for this. When the '07 Shelby's came out, I laughed. When I saw the price and ADM'S I almost s*** my pants. When I saw the tests and numbers, amazed it couldn't beat my '04. Amazed still some of those $60+k, '07 Shelbys are now selling for under $29k with >2k miles on them. That's sad.

Wasn't impressed with the other years either, well the Aluminum block caught my attention for a second. So I just been content riding around in the '04. Then news of a 650 horsepower "beast" came out. Now my wait was over. This was an easy choice for me. Though I keep up on what the other manufactures are doing, I was waiting for Terminator II.

I think they could've sold it for $50k, sure. Do I see it as a "Shelby?" No, its a SVT Cobra in my book. I love driving this thing. To each man his own, buy what will make you happy, I did.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Zero remorse.....life is short and you only live once. I worked very hard for this and because I am the type of guy who likes a simple car, with a few modern features that maintains a lineage to the muscle cars of old.......it was a simple choice. I have one of the last of its kind, lets admit folks; cars will change from here on out. This was the time for me to own a true beast.

and now the modding makes it ever more fun :lol1:

huggytree

Established Member
arent there tons of DIB convertibles on cars.com????

why order?

you could get ANY DIB convertible w/black stripes and just remove the stripes

your smart to skip the white striped seats....i think they should have the seat stripe colors as a seperate option...you could have chosen the blue striped seats...those stripes really make the seats Pop!

sounds like you got a better deal than i did, so congrats.......when i looked into ordering a 2014 i got prices of $5-6k over sticker.....

good job on the recarro's too....its a must have if your under 250lbs......i think they make the car.

DIB really stands out....now that i know the color i can pick out ANY Ford with it from a block away....its a unique color

JvKintheUSA

Established Member
Trust me,once you fire up that baby you will be smiling. And that's just the starting up part...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mullens

Established Member
This is not just a Mustang. I have owned 3 GT500's and not only has the power increased but the level of refinement even more so. Where else can you get this power level with all the amenaties for this price? When you look at it in those terms it's the bargain of the century.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Ferrcad,
Have you seen Deep Impact Blue in person? In direct sunlight it is a beautiful dark blue, but if it is cloudy, it looks more purple than blue. It is also comparable to black when it comes to maintenance, it is a pain to keep clean.

When I ordered mine, the last Mustang I drove was my 93 LX 5.0 in 1997 and I didn't drive another one until my car arrived. I did sit in three 2013 Mustangs, 2013 GT500, California Special and a Boss 302, because I wanted to make sure I could live with the interior, seats and visibility. I decided to go with the standard seats because they fit me and my 88 year old father better than the Recaro's and they were slightly easier to get in and out of, so that made this an easy choice.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I love the car... But wish I would've tried a Boss first.

And personally, I think it IS almost too much power for the street.

Ferrcad

Established Member
Ferrcad,
Have you seen Deep Impact Blue in person? In direct sunlight it is a beautiful dark blue, but if it is cloudy, it looks more purple than blue. It is also comparable to black when it comes to maintenance, it is a pain to keep clean.

When I ordered mine, the last Mustang I drove was my 93 LX 5.0 in 1997 and I didn't drive another one until my car arrived. I did sit in three 2013 Mustangs, 2013 GT500, California Special and a Boss 302, because I wanted to make sure I could live with the interior, seats and visibility. I decided to go with the standard seats because they fit me and my 88 year old father better than the Recaro's and they were slightly easier to get in and out of, so that made the an easy choice.

I own a 1967 Mustang Coupe and it is a dark blue so am very familiar with keeping dark colors clean. It as this one would be a sunny day driver....

Powermanphil

Established Member
For the last 10 years I've been strictly high performance BMW's. Never saw myself in anything else....until I picked up this Shelby.
I still love my Bimmers...and I'm partial to my big Dodge Ram Hemi on rainy days...but nothing...absolutely nothing has the kind of power and torque this thing has.
It's not for the faint of heart though..seriously running nearly 700 horse is no joke. Watch the back end, deal with traction first.
Will you regret it? Ohhhh Hellllll no!

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
IMO, the 2013/14 GT500 is the best performance buy out there on a "new" car. It's actually somewhat practical too. I've hauled two kids to school in mine dozens of times. The coupe has a huge trunk for road trips. The car gets reasonable mileage on the highway (considering what you're packing). It has flat out mean looks and sound. And the brute acceleration out on the open road is simply amazing- It would take something considerably more exotic, or more modified, to outrun this car from 60-160. The only thing I can't stand is the lack of traction off the line. Being a European car snob, I'm used to having power accessible right now when I want it, not depending on how fast I'm going, what the outside temp is at the moment, or how much I feather a clutch. Coming out of an AWD 997 Turbo before I bought my '13 I can tell you that the Shelby would pull it on the open highway, but the Porsche would leave my Shelby at any stoplight in 99% of daily driving conditions. But, for half the price, the Shelby is a serious deal for what you get, and will embarrass just about everything else on the road.

Take delivery of your car, then make your final decision. If you are in the mood for something else in 1,000 miles, sell your Shelby and get something different. Based on the price you're paying, you have nothing to worry about as far as getting out of the car.

huggytree

Established Member
took my new 2013 for a run yesterday....got the wife to scream and crouch in her seat...the SRT Challenger doesnt do that for her....she's used to 0-100mph runs with me with the Challenger....the Shelby got to her

JDJ

Established Member
I have a 2013 GT500, got so frustrated with the wait. I was two days from buying an 2013 M5. Very glad I did not. I took the BMW salesman for ride in the Shelby and he wanted to title swap me for the M5 :)

JDJ

Established Member
The ONLY thing that sucks is looking at it in the garage for winter storage 6 month out of the year.

mikejaeggi

Established Member
Hey Members,

I have a 2014 GT500 Convertible on order but as of this post no VIN assignment. The price is not a problem if you look at from the stand point of wether I can afford it or not, which I can. I have gone back and forth regarding this car and have at times thought about just canceling the order. I guess part of me just can't seem to justify spending almost $70,000 for a Mustang. I have owned probably at least six Mustang from 1986 to my last new GT in 1996. Since then I have purchased more luxary cars like Acura and Infinity's. It was never hard to spend the money purchasing the luxary car as it has been for the Shelby.

I guess my question is if anyone here has experienced the same type of anxiety of spending this much money on a Mustang. The other quesition is wether those that were on the fence and now own the car are you glad you made the decision. I think the hardest part of this whole car purchase is the leap of faith you take of purchasing something that most of us have never even test driven before agreeing to order and purchase.

Sorry for my rambiling but just was wondering if anyone has buyers remorse... Is it to much power to even enjoy driving? I ask for honest answers for someone who is truly on the fence...

Thanks in advance for any insight... :thumbsup:

You will not regret it at all. I was a vette guy up until now, never owned a mustang. now that I have kids, I've been searching for years for a perfromance car with a back seat. my daily driver is a 2007 A4 with APR chip. I looked at Audi RS4 and S5, M3, M5, C63AMG, and decided to keep my A4 and get the Shelby as my weekend racer. Everytime I drop the top and turn the key, I smile. It's simply the coolest vehicle I have ever driven, the exclusivity and heritage is great, and it feeds your ego with all the stares you get on the road.

phil123

Established Member
IMO, the 2013/14 GT500 is the best performance buy out there on a "new" car. It's actually somewhat practical too. I've hauled two kids to school in mine dozens of times. The coupe has a huge trunk for road trips. The car gets reasonable mileage on the highway (considering what you're packing). It has flat out mean looks and sound. And the brute acceleration out on the open road is simply amazing- It would take something considerably more exotic, or more modified, to outrun this car from 60-160. The only thing I can't stand is the lack of traction off the line. Being a European car snob, I'm used to having power accessible right now when I want it, not depending on how fast I'm going, what the outside temp is at the moment, or how much I feather a clutch. Coming out of an AWD 997 Turbo before I bought my '13 I can tell you that the Shelby would pull it on the open highway, but the Porsche would leave my Shelby at any stoplight in 99% of daily driving conditions. But, for half the price, the Shelby is a serious deal for what you get, and will embarrass just about everything else on the road.

Take delivery of your car, then make your final decision. If you are in the mood for something else in 1,000 miles, sell your Shelby and get something different. Based on the price you're paying, you have nothing to worry about as far as getting out of the car.

Changing the tires will solve a large part of the traction problems especially those related to outside temp.

As far as being worth it what other car is their with this kind of performance that is a great daily driver, has a somewhat usable rear seat and trunk at anywhere near the price?

Sparko

Established Member
Hey Huggy followed your purchase from ebay via Chris... I have on order a 2014 GT500 Convertible with SVTPP, Recaro and Nav for $63,500 before tax, doc fee and title transfer.... Invoice with adv fee was $62919.72 so ruffly 580 over invoice for the car... Got it in deep impact blue minus the stripe... My plan, if I get it, will be to have my cousin put a reflective double stripe up the middle but leave the side off... Did not order the stripe because I did not want white in the interior of seats. My biggest concern is not being able to test drive one and I'm very concern when it comes in that I will not like the car and them I stuck with it...
Ferrcad,

I was just like you. I bought a 2013 GT 500 vert having never owned a Ford product...In fact it was 20 years ago that i owned my last American made car. I cannot begin to tell you how pleasantly surprised I was when the car finally arrived ( Aug 2012 )...the performance was obviously amazing but so was the fit and finish , the level of materials, the handling, the tightness of the car ( no squeaks, rattles of any kind ). In sum it is an impressive car.

I have owned quite a few high end sports cars over the years and this car turns more heads than any Porsche I ever owned.

If you don't like what you end up with I am sure you will have quite a few people on this forum that would take it off your hands. Good luck with it...buyers remorse not needed here !

glasseyed86

Established Member
I would say meh if it was a coupe, I'd personally go with a (used) GT-R. But as a convertible nothing beats them for the price and fun factor.

Users who are viewing this thread